Promotion to 1st LT due to being a Medic

Started by chaser430, August 23, 2016, 04:31:43 PM

DakRadz

If you just have NREMT, which is what the military gives you, you can wear the EMT badge.

But not if you have the BLS 1-2 day class.

Unfortunately the Navy didn't put Corpsmen through the EMT class for far longer than the Army and AF. Actually, there was an NCIS episode to that effect, apparently it actually spurred some change. (Though they claimed she could have legally criched someone as an EMT)

Anyway, must have one of three things for a CAP badge- EMT/AEMT/Paramedic, or RN license, or MD. I'll double check and update, but I agree with Eclipse here.

1st Lt Raduenz

jeders

I had this issue come up a few years ago. We had two individuals join our squadron and both of them had medical backgrounds and both started wearing the medical officer's insignia right away without even asking.

Case 1: Air Force enlisted medical personnel, his day job was medical administration I believe. He figured that since CAP only had the medical officer and nurse badges, that any HSO could wear them. After several attempts to correct him, he finally took off the Medical Officer badge.

Case 2: Army Guard 1LT with a PhD in nutrition joins at about the same time and shows up (before even turning in an application) in a full uniform with captain's bars and medical officer insignia. His medical insignia was eventually conferred based on his job and education, but he was never promoted past 2d Lt.

Neither of these individuals are with CAP anymore, though they both did their very best to practically destroy the squadron before leaving (one as commander and one as a general troublemaker).

Chaser, unless you are a doctor who practices medicine in some form, you are not and cannot be a Medical Officer as that is reserved for physicians. If you are not a Medical Officer, you cannot wear the Medical Officer insignia. You may, however, wear any insignia awarded to you during your time in the military provided that it is allowed by AFI 36-2903.

Thank you for your service and I hope that you find a way to be of service to CAP.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse