Sunscreen: many offer less protection than claimed

Started by RNOfficer, August 17, 2016, 12:27:59 AM

RNOfficer

The UV index is 10 today in southern California (11+ is the maximum)

https://www.epa.gov/sunsafety/uv-index-scale-1

so I thought a post on sunscreens would be appropriate. Unfortunately, many sunscreen offer less protection than claimed. As usual Consumer Reports magazine provides reliable testing.

http://www.webmd.com/melanoma-skin-cancer/news/20160517/sunscreen-spf-report-2016

Best buys include:

Trader Joe's Spray SPF of 50-plus costs $1 an ounces
Equate Ultra Protection SPF 50, at $.49 an ounce
No-Ad Sport SPF 50, at $.63 an ounce

CR report: http://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreens/get-the-best-sun-protection/

Two products that fell far short of their claimed SPF include Banana Boat Kids Tear-Free, Sting-Free Lotion SPF 50 and CVS Kids Sun Lotion SPF 50. Both tested at an SPF of 8.

Sunscreen industry spokespeople disputed CR's claims that some products did not provide advertised protection.CVS spokesman Michael DeAngelis says the company and an independent third party re-tested the product, using industry standards and FDA methods. "There is absolutely no indication that our product has an SPF lower than 50," he says.

How to apply sunscreen:

https://www.aad.org/public/spot-skin-cancer/learn-about-skin-cancer/prevent/how-to-apply-sunscreen

For infants and very young children, discuss sunscreen with your pediatrician. As general rule, sprays are not recommended for these age grouos.

Live2Learn

Quote from: RNOfficer on August 17, 2016, 12:27:59 AM

Best buys include:

Nah, the "Best buy" to prevent sunburn and eventually skin cancers is actually a full brim hat, long sleeves, and a parasol.  Here's one for those hot, sun drenched formations:  http://www.lunabazaar.com/U28W-white-wedding-parasol-umbrella.aspx?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=googlepla&utm_term=188&ads_cmpid=208785004&ads_adid=32739499684&ads_matchtype=&ads_network=g&ads_creative=113985222004&utm_term=&ads_targetid=pla-225878508964&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid=CNS13dzSyM4CFURrfgodULILMw

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2016, 03:35:44 PM
Could we get that in ANSI yellow?

I thought it had to be orange everywhere? As much as possible?

Luis R. Ramos

Orange is not a color that goes with the ABU...

The lime green goes more with the ABU than the orange...

This should please those that complain about the multitude of colorful patches on the ABU...

Fashion statement!

>:D

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RNOfficer

Quote from: Live2Learn on August 17, 2016, 02:24:40 PM
Quote from: RNOfficer on August 17, 2016, 12:27:59 AM

Best buys include:

Nah, the "Best buy" to prevent sunburn and eventually skin cancers is actually a full brim hat, long sleeves, and a parasol.  Here's one for those hot, sun drenched formations: 

A full hat, long sleeves and long trousers are always the first defense against the sun with the added bonus that the the latter two help protect against insect, spider, and tick bites.

However, it is worth noting that fabrics greatly vary in their ability to protect against UV rays

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/sun-protection/clothing/protection

There are fabrics especially designed to protect against UVs however this is a self-regulating industry so protection claims are not always independently verified,

wuzafuzz

Big goofy looking hats and long sleeves are a great start.  However, remember that UV reflects off many surfaces.  Combining quality sunscreens with physical barriers like wide-brimmed hats is a great combined strategy. 

My sunscreen use was limited for far too long, in part because I couldn't find a sunscreen that didn't sneak into my eyes.  My dermatologist finally recommended EltaMD UV Clear Broad Spectrum.  https://eltamd.com/product/uv-clear-broad-spectrum-spf-46/  I bathe my face in that stuff now, every single day, and my eyes don't suffer.  It's expensive, but skin cancer is much costlier!  Amazon sells the stuff at better prices than I've seen elsewhere.  I use cheaper stuff away from my face.

Unfortunately I didn't learn about that sunscreen early enough.  In late June we had to carve on my face to remove some skin cancer.  Now I'm completing Efudex therapy, which is NOT fun!  That stuff should be renamed "F U Skin."  Now I'm a walking advertisement for sunscreen wear and have been quite open about the experience with cadets, and on my Facebook page.  On the bright side, the treatment resulted in the treasured nickname "Dadpool."   8)  If you've seen Deadpool (the best movie of all time IMHO) you get the joke.

Thanks for sharing the info on sunscreen reviews! 

"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

^ Meh, you're closer to the sun then most of us!

"That Others May Zoom"

RNOfficer

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 19, 2016, 12:35:54 PM
Big goofy looking hats and long sleeves are a great start.  However, remember that UV reflects off many surfaces.  Combining quality sunscreens with physical barriers like wide-brimmed hats is a great combined strategy. 

My sunscreen use was limited for far too long, in part because I couldn't find a sunscreen that didn't sneak into my eyes.  My dermatologist finally recommended EltaMD UV Clear Broad Spectrum.  https://eltamd.com/product/uv-clear-broad-spectrum-spf-46/  I bathe my face in that stuff now, every single day, and my eyes don't suffer.  It's expensive, but skin cancer is much costlier!  Amazon sells the stuff at better prices than I've seen elsewhere.  I use cheaper stuff away from my face.

Unfortunately I didn't learn about that sunscreen early enough.  In late June we had to carve on my face to remove some skin cancer.  Now I'm completing Efudex therapy, which is NOT fun!  That stuff should be renamed "F U Skin."  Now I'm a walking advertisement for sunscreen wear and have been quite open about the experience with cadets, and on my Facebook page.  On the bright side, the treatment resulted in the treasured nickname "Dadpool."   8)  If you've seen Deadpool (the best movie of all time IMHO) you get the joke.

Thanks for sharing your skin cancer story. Good luck. And thanks for pointing out the issue of eye stinging; I had not thought of that even though I have had that problem. If a sunscreen hurts to use, it's less likely to be used.

It's hard to get cadets to take precautions against UV rays seriously. Like most adolescents, they think they're invulnerable.  Showing them my own permanently sun damaged skin (not cancerous fortunately) that looks like a red alligator helps to get the point across. I've had too many years of sticking my left arm out the window of my truck.

I do not know if the UV index is published elsewhere like it is in California. That and physical conditions like reflected sun are my guides as to when to cover up and use lots of sunscreen.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on August 19, 2016, 01:02:07 PM
^ Meh, you're closer to the sun then most of us!
Yeah I have to get the SPF Alderaan sunscreen.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

stitchmom

The stuff with Zinc Oxide seems to work the best.
The small jar Equate Ultra Spectrum Clear is good.
CVS Baby Pure & Gentle Sunstick is the best I've found. I have facial scars from a childhood injury and have to wear sunscreen all 365 days even if I'm sitting inside.  I've tried many of them.  This is thick and doesn't rub in well but it works great.

stitchmom

Quote from: wuzafuzz on August 19, 2016, 12:35:54 PM

That stuff looks better than mine with 9% Zinc Oxide. CVS Baby Pure & Gentle SunStick is 4.7%.  Thank you for the recommendation. It's really something to deal.

If you need an inexpensive back up, try the CVS Baby Sunstick.  My only complaint is when it's hot (left in the car) it goes on too thick but it won't run in your eyes or sting. CVS online once in a while has no minimum free shipping if you sign up for their email promotions.