Don’t Throw Out Your Organ Donor Card After 65

Started by RNOfficer, August 15, 2016, 01:01:22 AM

RNOfficer

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/16/health/organ-donor.html

Donors must die in a hospital, so that a ventilator can maintain their organs for transplantation. "Organs deteriorate rapidly once circulation ceases," Dr. Klassen explained. "Everybody's ideal of the death at home, surrounded by friends and family, doesn't lend itself to organ donation."

Here, two public health missions collide. Most Americans say they want to die at home, and the proportion who do has risen, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reported.

National registry for organ donation

https://registerme.org/

In the United States alone, 21 people die everyday waiting for an organ transplant. Though about 45 percent of American adults are registered organ donors, it varies widely by state. More than 80 percent of adults in Alaska were registered donors in 2012, compared to only 12.7 percent in New York, for example.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Spaceman3750

Luis R. Ramos

I really want to die...

NEVER! >:D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

PHall

Well, in California at least, your "Organ Donor Card" is your Drivers Licence.
So as long as you keep checking the Organ Donor box on the renewal application form.
You're still an Organ Donor.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on August 15, 2016, 02:24:47 AM

Same in IL - I didn't think a separate card was still a thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

The New York driver license has a spot that says "I hereby make an anatomical gift," space to write what you are donating, and a line to sign.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RNOfficer

Quote from: PHall on August 15, 2016, 02:24:47 AM
So as long as you keep checking the Organ Donor box on the renewal application form.
You're still an Organ Donor.

An advantage of the national registry is that you might not have your driver's license with you when you die. However, the hospital that you are in can check with the registry to see if you are listed.

https://registerme.org/

It's reasonable to be concerned about privacy in any national registration system. Here's their policy.

https://registerme.org/privacy.aspx

Spam

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on August 15, 2016, 01:20:51 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2016, 01:02:20 AM
I want to die in someone else's home.

I want to die in someone else's bed.

For me, I'd prefer to go peacefully in my sleep like my Granddad, and not screaming in terror like the passengers he was driving at the time.

RRLE

I just took out from the library, Stiff: The Curious Lives Of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It doesn't change my mind about being an organ donor but it does me wonder where all my parts are going to go - not that it really matters.

Eclipse

+1 - Harvest whatever you can, then burn the rest - sneak the ashes into some place cool like
Disneyworld or Las Vegas and have a party.

I will never understand the fascination and wasteful practice of cemetery burial.  I've warned my
family I will haunt them if they spend money on anything other then the basic cardboard, a can of kerosene,
and a match.

I do, however, want a procession that wrecks traffic for miles.  My only dying wish is that anyone who
attends, drives the coolest vehicle they own, motorcycle, truck classic car, whatever.

No car pooling.

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

Quote from: stillamarine on August 18, 2016, 02:21:45 AM
WDW and DL keep a very close eye out on that.

I know, which makes it all the more of a challenge!

"That Others May Zoom"

umpirecali

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2016, 02:19:01 AM
+1 - Harvest whatever you can, then burn the rest - sneak the ashes into some place cool like
Disneyworld or Las Vegas and have a party.

I will never understand the fascination and wasteful practice of cemetery burial.  I've warned my
family I will haunt them if they spend money on anything other then the basic cardboard, a can of kerosene,
and a match.

I do, however, want a procession that wrecks traffic for miles.  My only dying wish is that anyone who
attends, drives the coolest vehicle they own, motorcycle, truck classic car, whatever.

No car pooling.

How about donating to a body farm?  Why not let people study how you rot under different conditions?

http://fac.utk.edu/

:o  :o  :-[  :-[
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

LSThiker

Quote from: umpirecali on September 13, 2016, 06:03:34 PM
How about donating to a body farm?  Why not let people study how you rot under different conditions?

I always like the look on people's faces when I tell them I am not an organ donor.  I am a whole body donor as a cadaver (assuming I am intact or otherwise acceptable when I die).  If not, then I will be donated to a body farm. 

etodd

Quote from: Spam on August 15, 2016, 04:36:21 AM

For me, I'd prefer to go peacefully in my sleep like my Granddad, and not screaming in terror like the passengers he was driving at the time.

Make it an airplane for me. Doze off maybe while enjoying a sunset. But no passengers I hope.  :o
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."