Recognition ribbon???

Started by biomed441, August 10, 2016, 05:17:02 PM

biomed441

I took a hiatus from CAP for a few years.  Life events and such kept me from staying involved, but I've been fortunate enough that I am able to get back at it.  I noticed that my unit had done some updates with the charts and such, one of which being that nice ribbon chart that vanguard prints out.  I noticed something odd on this chart.  CAP Recognition ribbon?  Figured maybe it was something new but no one I spoke with at the squadron knew anything of it.  I checked knowledge base, the search function here, and of course the regs and manuals to see if there was any mention of it.  Not a word from what I was able to see so my questions is, what the heck is this thing?

For reference the chart was dated 2014 and no I'm not referring to the achievement ribbon.  I don't have a picture of it, but in order of precedence it is 1 spot higher than the command service ribbon. 

Any one know what this is? Error on vanguards part?

Майор Хаткевич

biomed441

I'm color blind, but from what I could tell it had a thick dark blue stripe on each end, followed by thicker lighter blue moving inward.  A thick yellow/gold stripe flanked by red stripes ran down the center.

MSG Mac

There are two ribbons on that chart that are not authorized yet. The other is the PD instructor ribbon. I spoke to the guy fron VG about it last year. They are still waiting for DP to set the standards and authorize the awards even though they were asked to make them a couple of years ago.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

capmaj

Just went through Vanguards site and didn't see a "Recognition" ribbon. Which page (of 3) did you see it on?

biomed441

They don't have it for sale.  If you buy the CAP ribbon chart from them, they have a picture of it on that chart though.  I'll see if I can come up with a picture if someone else doesn't beat me to it first.

Pace

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 10, 2016, 05:30:24 PM
There are two ribbons on that chart that are not authorized yet. The other is the PD instructor ribbon. I spoke to the guy fron VG about it last year. They are still waiting for DP to set the standards and authorize the awards even though they were asked to make them a couple of years ago.
Que? Where is that chart?
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

There was discussion in 2012 regarding a "Recognition Ribbon"with the intention to mirror Air Force Recognition Ribbon,
which is basically a "ribbon for all things there's no ribbon for"  (seriously).

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13807.0

http://slideplayer.com/slide/6077220/

The 2010 poster is here: https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-ribbon-chart-poster

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

https://www.vanguardmil.com/products/civil-air-patrol-ribbon-chart-poster

See markings. Easier to see if you follow the link, though not by much.

1st Lt Raduenz

biomed441

Quote from: Pace on August 10, 2016, 05:39:15 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on August 10, 2016, 05:30:24 PM
Que? Where is that chart?

the chart they show is of 2010 but if you buy one, it will have the 2014 update which has the ribbon(s) in question.

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on August 10, 2016, 05:44:18 PM
There was discussion in 2012 regarding a "Recognition Ribbon"with the intention to mirror Air Force Recognition Ribbon,
which is basically a "ribbon for all things there's no ribbon for"  (seriously).

Seriously Bob, you're wrong about the Air Force ribbon.
The Air Force Recognition Ribbon is awarded to those who have been Airman/Officer Of The Year or been one of the 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year.
The 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year only get to wear the "12 Outstanding Airman" Badge only during the year that they are honored for.
The Air Force Recognition Ribbon is the permanent award for them.

jeders

Quote from: PHall on August 10, 2016, 06:01:09 PM

The Air Force Recognition Ribbon is awarded to those who have been Airman/Officer Of The Year or been one of the 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year.
The 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year only get to wear the "12 Outstanding Airman" Badge only during the year that they are honored for.

Not according to the Air Force.

Quote from: www.afpc.af.milIt is awarded to named team and individual Air Force recipients of Air Force-level Special Trophies and Awards except the 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year nominees.

According to that, the "12 Outstanding Airman" are about the only ones who don't get it; probably because they already get their own ribbon, the Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Quote from: DakRadz on August 10, 2016, 05:51:06 PM

See markings. Easier to see if you follow the link, though not by much.

1st Lt Raduenz

That's the Achievement Ribbon, the most recent new decoration awarded by a Group CC or higher for
recognition of activities at that scope. 

That's active - had some awarded earlier in the year.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on August 10, 2016, 06:01:09 PM

Did you read the link to JC004's thread?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Force_Recognition_Ribbon
"To receive the Air Force Recognition Ribbon, a service member must receive a designated trophy, plaque, or other award (such as the Sijan Leadership Award) through an achievement as specified by Air Force regulations. The ribbon is thus intended to recognize awards which cannot otherwise be displayed on a military uniform; as such, this award is typically presented in combination with an Air Force level annual award."

http://www.afpc.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=7794

"Background
This ribbon was authorized by the Chief of Staff, U.S. Air Force on Oct. 12, 1980. The AFRR will be worn between the Outstanding Airman of the Year Ribbon and the National Defense Service Medal. Bronze oak-leaf clusters will be worn on the ribbon bar to indicate subsequent awards.

Criteria
It is awarded to named team and individual Air Force recipients of Air Force-level Special Trophies and Awards except the 12 Outstanding Airmen of the Year nominees."

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

[redacted]     Decided I'm done with this thread.

biomed441

Managed to snag a picture of the ribbon off the chart at my unit. Not sure if it will ever get approved. Don't see why not. I wouldn't go so far to say we necessarily need another ribbon, but at the same time finding additional ways to recognize members for their work is a plus in my book. 

AlphaSigOU

Would be good for all those 'of the year' awards that don't merit a specific decoration.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

HandsomeWalt_USMC

One form of recognition ribbon I'd like to see is a CAP ribbon for military service. Our veteran members have provided great service to this nation, many of them have shed blood for it. I think a simple ribbon award that can be worn by members in corporate uniforms would be a nice recognition of their service. Yes, you can wear military awards on the AF style uniform, but I think our members who must or choose to wear corporate uniforms deserve some sort of visible recognition. It could also be worn on the AF style uniform if one chooses not to wear military awards.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on August 19, 2016, 07:22:45 PM
One form of recognition ribbon I'd like to see is a CAP ribbon for military service. Our veteran members have provided great service to this nation, many of them have shed blood for it. I think a simple ribbon award that can be worn by members in corporate uniforms would be a nice recognition of their service. Yes, you can wear military awards on the AF style uniform, but I think our members who must or choose to wear corporate uniforms deserve some sort of visible recognition. It could also be worn on the AF style uniform if one chooses not to wear military awards.

I'd be down with that ribbon replacing all Military ribbons.

stillamarine

Yeah that would be nice for those wearing corporates too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com