Main Menu

SNACKS at meetings

Started by SMWOG, August 02, 2016, 08:37:00 PM

SMWOG

Just wanted to know if some squadrons out there have a snack at the meeting(bring a dish type of thing),pizza or any other type of meal. What do you typical have? Is it donated or a collection taken up?

Spaceman3750

I've seen squadrons that maintain a stash of soda and candy in the fridge, and you drop $.75 in a coffee can when you take something out. My unit doesn't do that. If it's a special event, we buy a cake. That's pretty much it.

SarDragon

I've rarely seen snackage at regular weekly meetings. Munching donuts, etc. just cuts into the already short time available to do real stuff. OTOH, I do see donuts and granola bars at group meetings and other smaller collections of members outside regular meeting nights.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Holding Pattern

Pizza for out of band meetings generally happens.

Eclipse

Only on special occasions, not as a general rule, though no issue with drinks from the vending machine
or people who have to bring their dinner in with them because of logistics.

Anything messy winds up as much on uniforms as in stomachs.

The "pop in fridge, leave the cash" can become verboten petty cash very quickly to an IG during an SUI unless
there's a bright line policy that someone personally stocks the fridge separate from any CAP funds.

"it's just a few bucks..." lasts right up until that few bucks walks and then you've got a problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

PA Guy

Routine snacks NOOO. Think of the message it sends. These are CAP cadets not Cub Scouts. It also adds to a sense of entitlement.

Live2Learn

Special activities only, and (if other than on overnight event which requires participants to contribute prorata toward costs) SM pick up the tab for water, pizza, light fruit snacks, or whatever.  Doughnuts and pop aren't exactly the most nutritious snacks available so those seem to be less likely to be provided.

Spam

Here, twice a year BYO parties at which we have cadet changes of command (summer = cookout, winter = Christmas party). Other than that, we get a cake for Mitchell and Earhart parties. On occasion during the winter we rig the coffee maker, and one bitterly cold dark PT night yours truly ran a supply run to Dunkin Donuts for a few gallons of hot coffee for after the run (who says I don't have a heart).

No Snack-Os, no geedunk here, but just about every active duty unit I've known has one. Theft is not unknown there, sadly... the F-22 test team at Edwards was losing a couple of hundred bucks a year to theft (circa 2005) and the CO had pencil cams put in, after which they caught a guy with a TS swiping twenties on a regular basis.

I wouldn't recommend snacks as a regular thing at meetings.

V/R
Spam

MIKE

WIWAC at my first squadron snacks and drinks at the meeting was a thing... Between the mid-meeting break snacks and the buy/trade-up insignia tackle box, I don't think I paid squadron dues until I transferred squadrons as a senior member.
Mike Johnston

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on August 02, 2016, 08:58:20 PM
Only on special occasions, not as a general rule, though no issue with drinks from the vending machine
or people who have to bring their dinner in with them because of logistics.

Anything messy winds up as much on uniforms as in stomachs.

The "pop in fridge, leave the cash" can become verboten petty cash very quickly to an IG during an SUI unless
there's a bright line policy that someone personally stocks the fridge separate from any CAP funds.

"it's just a few bucks..." lasts right up until that few bucks walks and then you've got a problem.
What he said plus no use of the vending machine during the meeting by anyone.  Water always available throughout the meeting.  The VM is operated by the FBO owner so no petty cash issue and he keeps it stocked.  If you have to bring your dinner, use the back room, clean up behind yourself. 

Usually have two or three special occasion parties which is cake, juice and maybe coffee.  Truck in, truck out. 

There isn't time in a weekly meeting for drinks and snacks!

A.Member

To pile on...Our meetings are only a couple hours.  I'd hope our members could go a couple hours without needing a snack.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DoubleSecret

Quote from: SMWOG on August 02, 2016, 08:37:00 PM
Just wanted to know if some squadrons out there have a snack at the meeting(bring a dish type of thing),pizza or any other type of meal. What do you typical have? Is it donated or a collection taken up?

Not as a regular thing.  I was in one squadron with a CAPRAP reservist whose son was a cadet officer, and MSgt Mom would occasionally push us to kick in for pizzas for her little darling and the other cadets. 

Now for significant milestone achievements/promotions, cake and punch.  More if it's going on the late December meeting.

stitchmom

We need to match up the empty nest craft ladies who still cook for an army with the rushed to meeting cadets.   ;D  Seriously they had to put in the newsletter and send 2 emails about only bringing one dish to the potluck...

PHall

Only thing in our squadron refrigerator is water.

raivo

Quote from: PA Guy on August 02, 2016, 09:15:00 PM
Routine snacks NOOO. Think of the message it sends. These are CAP cadets not Cub Scouts. It also adds to a sense of entitlement.

lol wut

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

etodd

Quote from: PHall on August 05, 2016, 03:55:45 AM

I'm impressed you have a refrigerator. 
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on August 07, 2016, 09:45:42 PM
Quote from: PHall on August 05, 2016, 03:55:45 AM

I'm impressed you have a refrigerator.

The little "cube" refrigerators are pretty cheap to run. We keep bottles of water in it because for about 8 months a year it's gets warm out here in Southern California.
And having only water available ensures the cadets (and seniors) aren't drinking stuff like sodas. Water is also pretty cheap too.