SDA for Achievement 12

Started by Bluemyner, July 21, 2016, 01:15:09 AM

Bluemyner

Hi everyone, just need some quick help here. I am doing my SDA for achievement 12 and as always I always struggle with the part of the SDA that says to list the suspenses of that position. So what are the suspenses of a Leadership Officer (If there are any).

Thanks!

Eclipse

I don't think there are any, other then maybe something local related to PT.

Of course the person to ask is who yo are shadowing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluemyner

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2016, 01:39:12 AM
I don't think there are any, other then maybe something local related to PT.

Of course the person to ask is who yo are shadowing.
That's kinda the problem though, my squadron doesn't have a leadership officer we just assign the classes to random staff

Eclipse

Well, if no one is in the job, then no one can argue they have suspense(s) you didn't note.

One thing an LEO would be responsible for would be admining Great Start.  If you're using
it, there could be some suspense items in that.

Otherwise, perhaps seek out Leadership officers in other units in your wing and interview them.

To my eyes the LEO is a hands-on mentor, not necessarily a program manager.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

One potential suspense would be reviewing cadet progression every "x" months at the
direction of the CDC or CC to insure cadets are progressing and where they are struggling.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluemyner

Quote from: Eclipse on July 21, 2016, 03:26:36 AM
One potential suspense would be reviewing cadet progression every "x" months at the
direction of the CDC or CC to insure cadets are progressing and where they are struggling.
Okay thanks!

Spam

Here's a couple of new cadet metrics that could be considered "suspense" items:

1. New Curry Completion within 8 weeks of joining

2. New Cadet Orientation Flights within 180 days of joining

Both are CAPR 52-16 suspense items that are tracked via the eServices Commanders Dashboard.

V/R
Spam

Eclipse

Good suggestions.

Do you know if those metrics actually work?  I was pushing for both and
never saw anything change even though I had a couple new cadets make both.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

In my opinion, the Commanders Dashboard is a great tool (from the perspective of "if you cant measure it, you cant manage it"), when and if it is working.

That said, it doesn't always appear to work. Last night for example when I went to cut and paste those words, all my units data fields were completely empty. In the past, the objective data listed hasn't matched the reports data. So, as I hear they've now hired a new, degreed IT manager at NHQ, perhaps we might consider putting in a real PR on this. Lord knows, they've deleted all the old trouble reports without any resolution at all, so we're starting from zero with her.

I would just be happy in the short term if I could get my cadet staff read only permissions for reports (e.g. unit roster, cadet promotion needs, ops quals, etc.) so they could do their assigned jobs, yet the (old) IT guys unilaterally decided that cadets didn't need and shouldn't have reports access and removed it. When I put a PR into the system, their response was to close it after punting to Membership and claiming that they were told nope, no cadets need access, period, done. I view it as my job to determine if my 20 year old cadet officer qualified GTL needs a report, not an IT guy not in my chain, making policy.

One holds out hope this will be corrected... Now, returning to your normally scheduled post!

Cadet, that's all tangential to your original post, but there 'are' reports like this to pull from eServices which enable the Leadership Officer to accomplish required suspense actions.  If you're interested, your unit can pull yours and show them to you; when properly pulled (on time) and used at unit level for analysis and planning they can be key tools to help the program run right!

V/R
Spam

Spam

PS, before someone jumps on my "if you can't measure it" comment, I need to point out that management is a distinctly different factor than leadership. I would never advise confusing management with leadership:

'There is a difference between leadership and management. Leadership is of the spirit,
compounded of personality and vision; its practice is an art. Management is of the mind, a matter
of accurate calculation - its practice is a science. Managers are necessary; leaders are essential.'
Field Marshall Lord Slim, when Governor-General of Australia

V/R
Spam

Eclipse

I think there was a server issue last night, I had the same problem when I went to check myself.

As to he "manage vs. leadership"  salient points, the problem being in many CAP areas neither is happening.

At least if you have the former running something keeps moving.

"That Others May Zoom"

Bluemyner

Quote from: Spam on July 21, 2016, 04:56:33 AM
Here's a couple of new cadet metrics that could be considered "suspense" items:

1. New Curry Completion within 8 weeks of joining

2. New Cadet Orientation Flights within 180 days of joining

Both are CAPR 52-16 suspense items that are tracked via the eServices Commanders Dashboard.

V/R
Spam
Thank you!

TheSkyHornet

Just curious---
Have you actually been talking to/shadowing a Leadership Education Officer or your Deputy Commander for Cadets if one is not assigned?

I find that in most SDAs, nobody actually shadows anyone or sits down to interview that person. They just start filling out the SDA and submit it for grading, and I completely blame the reviewing officer, typically CDC, for not breaking that habit.

coudano

I'd have to refresh myself on the 52 14 but you only have to shadow one of the sda offices per phase, right?

MSG Mac

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 22, 2016, 04:14:28 PM
Just curious---
Have you actually been talking to/shadowing a Leadership Education Officer or your Deputy Commander for Cadets if one is not assigned?

I find that in most SDAs, nobody actually shadows anyone or sits down to interview that person. They just start filling out the SDA and submit it for grading, and I completely blame the reviewing officer, typically CDC, for not breaking that habit.

Quote from: coudano on July 22, 2016, 10:31:34 PM
I'd have to refresh myself on the 52 14 but you only have to shadow one of the sda offices per phase, right?

Yes
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

DakRadz

Well that would account for most SDAs, then.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 22, 2016, 11:53:47 PM
Just curious---

Yes

I'm just pointing out that I have yet to come across a cadet who has actually shadowed the liaising officer for their SDA

Bluemyner

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 27, 2016, 05:45:12 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on July 22, 2016, 11:53:47 PM
Just curious---

Yes

I'm just pointing out that I have yet to come across a cadet who has actually shadowed the liaising officer for their SDA
I shadowed my squadrons Admin officer for that SDA for about 3 weeks but for this phase I have not shadowed anyone.