Honor Guard Rifles

Started by calebtornado12, July 15, 2016, 05:01:26 PM

calebtornado12

Hello everyone! Just had a quick question that I hope some of you can answer. I am currently the cadet in charge of my unit's honor guard. Right now, we only have a few parade rifles that we can use. A few SM and I have been talking about trying to buy new ones, our only problem is that we don't know where to buy them. Does anyone know a website that sells the brown version of the parade rifle for affordable price and decent quality? Thanks for all your help!  ;) (Oh also, just so we are clear, these are the non-operating ones, just in case there was any misconception).

corrected thread title spelling - Pace
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...

Eclipse

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=parade%20rifle&index=blended&link_code=qs&tag=wwwcanoniccom-20

http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/our-products/replica-rifles.html

Don't spend a lot of money on these, and if you can get the plastic ones, that's the way to go - you can't see detail from
the audience or parade route anyway.

These look great, have an operation bolt (generally useless for anything but between parade cadet playing) and only cost ~$42.

http://www.paradestore.com/index.php/our-products/replica-rifles/drillamerica-parade-rifle.html

"That Others May Zoom"

calebtornado12

Yeah currently we don't have a lot of $$, we are kinda looking for maybe used rifles that we could polish up and look better. The ones on amazon are a different model.... thanks though! We do actually have one of those models, but its busted in half  ;D. Do you think they would sell them at like Army/Navy surplus stores?   
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

Eclipse

Quote from: calebtornado12 on July 15, 2016, 05:14:55 PMDo you think they would sell them at like Army/Navy surplus stores?

Doubtful.

See above for the $40 plastic one I added.

"That Others May Zoom"

calebtornado12

The one on the parade store link that we need is that one that's 41.95! And they have a color option! still a little pricey, but hey, awesome start! Thanks!
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

calebtornado12

Yeah the one in the picture is exactly what we need!
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

RogueLeader

Quote from: calebtornado12 on July 15, 2016, 05:14:55 PM
Yeah currently we don't have a lot of $$, we are kinda looking for maybe used rifles that we could polish up and look better. The ones on amazon are a different model.... thanks though! We do actually have one of those models, but its busted in half  ;D. Do you think they would sell them at like Army/Navy surplus stores?

It never hurts to check.  I've never seen them in any Army/Navy surplus stores that I've been to, but you never know.  The used non-functional parade rifles that I've seen for sale were not, in my opinion, in what I would call Serviceable Condition.  I've seen one that someone tried to make serviceable, and it looked worse than before the attempt.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

calebtornado12

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 15, 2016, 05:21:12 PM
Quote from: calebtornado12 on July 15, 2016, 05:14:55 PM

It never hurts to check.  I've never seen them in any Army/Navy surplus stores that I've been to, but you never know.  The used non-functional parade rifles that I've seen for sale were not, in my opinion, in what I would call Serviceable Condition.  I've seen one that someone tried to make serviceable, and it looked worse than before the attempt.

Ha Ha, I know what you mean. Right now we arent really in a rush, but what we are trying to do is get more riffles to make a honor guard drill team. We have a awesome active color guard team right now, but only two rifles that are worthy of using. The other two are the same rifle, but white, so they cant be used, and the other one we have is broken in half.  Other than that, all we have are wooden practice rifles that really suck.
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

Eclipse

2x4s cut to the general shape are fine for practice.

My advice on this is to get people involved and trained and worry about appearance later.

I've seen a lot of units spend uber$$$ on parade equipment for a team to never materialize.

Also, you check with your Group and Wing CP folks.  A lot of that magic HMRS money was spent by
wings on parade gear which was then issued downstream.  Your wing might have either rifles in boxes
or money waiting for someone to request it.

"That Others May Zoom"

DakRadz

White- meet my friend, Spraypaint. I think y'all will get along just fine.

This is actually what you yourself mentioned about getting some old ones and cleaning them up. If the color is the issue, fix that.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

calebtornado12

Thank you to all of you! I'll definitely be mentioning these things to my SM.
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

Holding Pattern

Reach out to your local American Legion outpost. See if they will front you a pair of rifles and flags.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on July 15, 2016, 10:09:29 PM
Reach out to your local American Legion outpost. See if they will front you a pair of rifles and flags.

All of the American Legion posts that I know of have active rifles, not the deactivated rifles required by CAP.  YMMV of course.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DakRadz

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 15, 2016, 10:30:41 PM

All of the American Legion posts that I know of have active rifles, not the deactivated rifles required by CAP.  YMMV of course.

This is may be true, but if they front the cost, not the rifles, you can get a nice Post to actually purchase the equipment as a donation. That's what I've seen.

stillamarine

Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: RogueLeader on July 15, 2016, 10:30:41 PM

I've never seen an active rifle at any Legion Hall. They usually had either bolts welded shut or barrels filled with lead.

That said, they are heavy. For cadets, better to go with the facsimile parade rifles.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

SarDragon

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 18, 2016, 06:08:17 AMThat said, they are heavy. For cadets, better to go with the facsimile parade rifles.
Agreed.

I wrestled a Springfield, avec baïonnette, when I was on an ROTC  drill team, and it got to be a struggle sometimes. We have a local unit with '03s, and they practice many hours a month to achieve and maintain their skills.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

audiododd

Quote from: SarDragon on July 18, 2016, 07:03:35 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 18, 2016, 06:08:17 AMThat said, they are heavy. For cadets, better to go with the facsimile parade rifles.
Agreed.

I wrestled a Springfield, avec baïonnette, when I was on an ROTC  drill team, and it got to be a struggle sometimes. We have a local unit with '03s, and they practice many hours a month to achieve and maintain their skills.

Same here, but with an M1 Garand with a blocked barrel.  I think I had Popeye arms by the end of the semester!  We used to have field stripping competitions for bragging rights.
Dodd Martin, MSgt, CAP
MSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Squadron NCO
Safety/Comm/Admin/Personnel/IT
TMP - MO - MS - MRO - MSO

Shawn W.

Having been a Color Guard Commander when I was a cadet and then managing my Squadron's Color Guard for four years, I will say that personally I like the Drill America replica M1 Garands the best. They are a little heavier but they look sharp. I have used the springfield models and have found their quality to be poor. After time and use, the bolt likes to pop open randomly, the slings loose their tightness and are a pain in the butt once they do and the sling adjustment piece tends to get bent up which then leads to many sling problems. Our Color Guard uses the M1s only for public performances and we keep our springfields for practice. I would suggest that if you have the means to, buy two sets of rifles for the same reasons.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck