Hat/Cap/Cover/Headgear?

Started by etodd, July 12, 2016, 01:53:36 AM

UWONGO2

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2016, 02:59:10 PMAs to the ribbons, since they are optional, wear them as you will, but don't propagate a tradition that doesn't apply to CAP.

Careful, you're going to offend the people who think Total Force somehow means we're part of the Air Force now.

Luis R. Ramos

DakRadz-

Be careful. When you enlarge and bold fonts, like I think you did on part of another poster's message, people will get upset at you. They may tell you are yelling at them! Seeing the "ponderable" phrase is what I am speaking about.

Be very, very careful. The Force may go against you...

Don't yell, ahem! Don't use a large font, don't use all caps or bold text in this board...

:-X
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on July 15, 2016, 02:44:58 PM
As of this morning, I'm just 20lbs away from H/W standards. It's been a long road, just about 7 months to lose 42, but I feel the last 20, even if they take just as long, will be easy. But even when I get to that point, somewhere 4.5-5 years into having worn the G/Ws , I still think I'll advocate for those in that uniform, and the missing elements.

I've heard a lot of people say things to the effect of "Don't worry, grey buddies, I'll still be fighting for you from inside my blues." I've rarely seen anyone actually do so.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Firechief160

Are Boonie hats allowed while wearing CAP corporate uniform?  If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

THRAWN

Quote from: Firechief160 on October 05, 2016, 08:21:38 PM
Are Boonie hats allowed while wearing CAP corporate uniform?  If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

First, welcome aboard. Second, there are about 500000 discussions on this topic. Take a look at the "search function" and just enter "boonie". Your answer is in there....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RogueLeader

Are Boonie hats allowed while wearing CAP corporate uniform?

Yes.

If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

Make a compelling argument that he can agree with you.  If you can't, then you are out of luck, as the Squadron Commander has the right and the duty to set the uniform of the day.  If he states no boonie caps at all, that is it, period.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Only in the field during extended outdoor operations and then only when approved.

CAPM 39-1 Page 88
"6.2.11. Blue Boonie Hat. A dark blue boonie hat may be worn with the Corporate Field Uniform
when participating in extended outdoor operations and authorized by the commander or activity director.
Rank and chaplain insignia will be worn as for the Blue Field Cap. "

"That Others May Zoom"

Firechief160

etodd

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 05, 2016, 08:27:23 PM

Yes.

If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

Make a compelling argument that he can agree with you.  If you can't, then you are out of luck, as the Squadron Commander has the right and the duty to set the uniform of the day.  If he states no boonie caps at all, that is it, period.

Carry an umbrella per CAPM 39-1. Follow regs. It must be plain, black or dark blue, carried in left hand. No specification of which uniform, so I assume any. If your commander gets tired of seeing the authorized umbrella being used for shade, then he may prefer you wear the hat.  >:D

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SARDOC

Quote from: Spam on July 12, 2016, 02:12:20 AM
My personal favorite (appropriate for conference wear) is the Knights Of Columbus hat.

With cape and sword, of course... Google it for fun!

V/R
Spam

I always thought they looked like flamboyant Pirates. 

Tim Day

Quote from: RNOfficer on July 13, 2016, 07:50:40 PM
IMHO , outdoors, the aviator shirt, grey trouser uniform looks incomplete without cap and the baseball cap looks too informal.

In military etiquette, an officer without a hat or cap outdoors in not fully dressed and should not be saluted. (A no-hat area, like a flight line might be, is almost always also a no-salute area)

Grey "garrison" caps are worn by cadets at military academies like the USMA and Citadel so should be available commercially. Incidentally, the grey color of the caps and the USMA uniforms comes from the New York militia uniforms worn by West Point cadets in the War of 1812. Grey is the traditional militia color and is the the beret patch color for the New York Guard, that state's organized militia.

In US military etiquette, saluting an officer has nothing to do with what the senior ranking person is wearing. The junior ranking person salutes when covered, even if the senior ranking person is not covered.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

HandsomeWalt_USMC

And not just not covered, but also if not in uniform. If you recognize a superior officer that happens to be wearing civilian clothes while you're in uniform and covered, then you render a salute and give the proper greeting of the day. An officer doesn't stop being an officer when they're in civilian attire.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

abdsp51

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on October 17, 2016, 03:37:46 PM
And not just not covered, but also if not in uniform. If you recognize a superior officer that happens to be wearing civilian clothes while you're in uniform and covered, then you render a salute and give the proper greeting of the day. An officer doesn't stop being an officer when they're in civilian attire.

Maybe in the USMC but this is not the case with the AF.

RogueLeader

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 17, 2016, 05:07:50 PM

You may want to review CAPP 151 page 6, bullet e as to what CAP expects.
Quote from: CAPP 151
Wen in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge the salute, but not return it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2016, 05:33:17 PM

Wen in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge the salute, but not return it.

What CAP expects...  We were talking real military....

RogueLeader

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 17, 2016, 06:18:14 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2016, 05:33:17 PM

What CAP expects...  We were talking real military....

The Army also taught the same thing, if you are in a uniform (doesn't require grade insignia) and you recognize an officer, you salute.  Yes, not the Air Force.  got it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Tim Day

Are you sure?

AFI 34-1201:
8.1.1. The hand salute is the form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in
the armed services. All Air Force personnel in uniform are required to salute when they
encounter any person or situation entitled to the salute

8.1.1.1. When the salute is rendered to another person, the junior member initiates the
salute accompanied with an appropriate verbal greeting, e.g., "Good Morning,
Sir/Ma'am". The salute and a verbal greeting should be extended at a distance at which
recognition is easy and audible. The salute should be offered early enough to allow the
senior time to return it and extend a verbal greeting before passing. All salutes received
when in uniform shall be returned; at other times, salutes received shall be appropriately
acknowledged.

I've also noticed that gate guards at AF installations consistently salute me when I'm in civilian clothes, after they check my ID.

Practice in different locations may differ from official policy. I'm curious as to what they teach at BMT.

Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Eclipse

^ Don't muddle the conversation with "regs" and "facts", much easier to just perpetuate a wives tale and then
push that tale down to CAP.

Requirement to salute regardless of dress?  What's next, officers wearing ribbons?

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Tim Day on October 18, 2016, 01:06:55 PM

Are you sure?

AFI 34-1201:
8.1.1. The hand salute is the form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in
the armed services. All Air Force personnel in uniform are required to salute when they
encounter any person or situation entitled to the salute

8.1.1.1. When the salute is rendered to another person, the junior member initiates the
salute accompanied with an appropriate verbal greeting, e.g., "Good Morning,
Sir/Ma'am". The salute and a verbal greeting should be extended at a distance at which
recognition is easy and audible. The salute should be offered early enough to allow the
senior time to return it and extend a verbal greeting before passing. All salutes received
when in uniform shall be returned; at other times, salutes received shall be appropriately
acknowledged.

I've also noticed that gate guards at AF installations consistently salute me when I'm in civilian clothes, after they check my ID.

Practice in different locations may differ from official policy. I'm curious as to what they teach at BMT.

BMT it's taught to salute when you are in uniform and the officer is in uniform. 

You are saluted at the gate a control upon verification of a valid DOD CAC or retired ID card that you are/were a commisioned officer.   I highly doubt any AF member is saluting you while you are out of uniform while on the installation...

kwe1009

AFMAN 36-2203 3.6.7. Civilians may be saluted by persons in uniform. The President of the United States, as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, is always accorded the honor of a salute. Also, if the exchange of salutes is otherwise appropriate, it is customary for military members in civilian clothes to exchange salutes upon recognition.