Hat/Cap/Cover/Headgear?

Started by etodd, July 12, 2016, 01:53:36 AM

etodd

Which "cap" is appropriate for wear with the polo / gray pants combo? Yes, I've tried interpreting the regs and just get more confused every time I try admittedly.

I found this CAWG page that mentions "Headgear is not required, but the CAP baseball cap may be worn."

https://sites.google.com/site/sq201cawg/senior-member-uniforms

So looking at Vanguard for "baseball cap" gives a few options. Which of these fit the regs? Logo, no logo, etc.?

https://www.vanguardmil.com/collections/cap-hats

Thanks for any help. Do not want to order the wrong thing of course.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

pselig

Any CAP or civilian baseball cap, knit cap, boonie hat, etc., may be worn with the polo / gray pants combination.  My only requirement as a commander is that the headgear is clean and tasteful (similar to the CAP T-shirt requirements).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Spam

My personal favorite (appropriate for conference wear) is the Knights Of Columbus hat.

With cape and sword, of course... Google it for fun!

V/R
Spam

Eclipse

"6.2.9. CAP Baseball Cap. Wing and region commanders may prescribe color, unit designation,
and/or emblem to be on the baseball cap. No rank insignia may be worn on this cap, and no emblems
(clouds, darts, etc.) may be worn on the cap visor. "

The UA Heatgear Tactical Caps are a good choice as they are semi-water resistant and wick away heat.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: pselig on July 12, 2016, 02:09:02 AM
Any CAP or civilian baseball cap, knit cap, boonie hat, etc., may be worn with the polo / gray pants combination.  My only requirement as a commander is that the headgear is clean and tasteful (similar to the CAP T-shirt requirements).

Thanks!

RNOfficer

Quote from: etodd on July 12, 2016, 01:53:36 AM
Which "cap" is appropriate for wear with the polo / gray pants combo? Yes, I've tried interpreting the regs and just get more confused every time I try admittedly.

Not exactly on point but there has been clamoring for years for a grey flight cap to be worn with the aviator shirt/ grey trouser combination. Anyone know if there has been any response?

lordmonar

Quote from: RNOfficer on July 13, 2016, 05:39:04 AM

Not exactly on point but there has been clamoring for years for a grey flight cap to be worn with the aviator shirt/ grey trouser combination. Anyone know if there has been any response?
As far as I know.....despite the level of "clamoring" no request/suggestion/begging has been sent through channels to the Uniform Committee.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on July 13, 2016, 10:29:34 AM
Quote from: RNOfficer on July 13, 2016, 05:39:04 AM

As far as I know.....despite the level of "clamoring" no request/suggestion/begging has been sent through channels to the Uniform Committee.
Or at least has made it that far.

Майор Хаткевич

Yea, chances are I'll lose the extra 20lbs I need for Blues before a hat gets approved for G/Ws.

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe it never made that far, because most feel a hat for the polo/gray is not needed?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

RNOfficer

IMHO , outdoors, the aviator shirt, grey trouser uniform looks incomplete without cap and the baseball cap looks too informal.

In military etiquette, an officer without a hat or cap outdoors in not fully dressed and should not be saluted. (A no-hat area, like a flight line might be, is almost always also a no-salute area)

Grey "garrison" caps are worn by cadets at military academies like the USMA and Citadel so should be available commercially. Incidentally, the grey color of the caps and the USMA uniforms comes from the New York militia uniforms worn by West Point cadets in the War of 1812. Grey is the traditional militia color and is the the beret patch color for the New York Guard, that state's organized militia.

DoubleSecret

Quote from: pselig on July 12, 2016, 02:09:02 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it is clean and tasteful, is there anything preventing its being worn sideways?

Damron

I wear a navy blue baseball cap with squadron patch with my polo.  I wear a black baseball cap with a squadron patch with my aviator shirt.   My black cap I wear with my aviator shirt is clean and well shaped and looks pretty sharp.   

Toad1168

The polo combination and the G/W combination are corporate uniforms.  IMHO, the grade sleeves and ribbons (etc.) should be left off the G/W.  The attempt is made to make the G/W into a USAF style uniform when it isn't.  I know that I will most likely be rebuked for this, but these corporate uniforms were designed for those senior members that do not want or cannot wear the AF style.  Separate the two completely.  Use the AF style as that and the corporate as corporate.

I know it got off topic from the cap, but the discussion to have a grey flight cap for the G/W makes no sense. 
Toad

LSThiker

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 14, 2016, 03:55:27 PM
IMHO, the grade sleeves and ribbons (etc.) should be left off the G/W.

So for those senior members that cannot wear the USAF-style uniform, they should not be allowed to wear rank or their ribbons?  Why?

CAPDCCMOM

To say that ribbons and grade should not be allowed on the Corporate Uniform is a place I think that you seriously do not want to go.

How about this, if you can't or don't wear the AF uniform you don't hold a grade at all, and CAP does not want you. That is about what you are saying Toad.

I do not wear the AF uniform, that does not lessen my commitment to the program at all. In my most humble opinion, I say leave the AF uniform to the Cadets, the rest of us all wear Corporate and BBDU/CFU.

There is way to much among the Senior Member/Officers in the attitude that those that wear the Af, usually poorly, are somehow better than the rest. If Senior Member/Officers would only put as much care and emphasis on the Mission, CAP would be a much better place.

Toad1168

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on July 14, 2016, 04:13:45 PM
To say that ribbons and grade should not be allowed on the Corporate Uniform is a place I think that you seriously do not want to go.

How about this, if you can't or don't wear the AF uniform you don't hold a grade at all, and CAP does not want you. That is about what you are saying Toad.

I do not wear the AF uniform, that does not lessen my commitment to the program at all. In my most humble opinion, I say leave the AF uniform to the Cadets, the rest of us all wear Corporate and BBDU/CFU.

There is way to much among the Senior Member/Officers in the attitude that those that wear the Af, usually poorly, are somehow better than the rest. If Senior Member/Officers would only put as much care and emphasis on the Mission, CAP would be a much better place.

My point is more of the distinction between corporate and USAF style uniforms.  Yes a great number of SMs wear those incorrectly.  Hence the days when we had to wear the maroon sleeves, if you remember that.  Many arguments have been made about the corporate vs USAF style uniform that do not need to be rehashed here.  If a military uniform is what the member wants to wear, then wear that one.   If the corporate style is what is desired, then wear that. 

The statement about SMs just wearing the corporate style is valid.  But my issue is that may of those are worn poorly as well standing shoulder to shoulder with members in the USAF style.  Same configuration, just different shirt and pants.  It goes to the overall professional image that we wish to portray and unfortunately most people don't distinguish between the uniforms.  They only see one thing, the whole of CAP.
Toad

CAP_truth

IMHO I think we should have a complete CSU to include coat and hat.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Damron

I wouldn't mind dumping ribbons for seniors and I wouldn't mind if seniors only wore corporate uniforms.   

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 14, 2016, 04:31:01 PM

My point is more of the distinction between corporate and USAF style uniforms.  Yes a great number of SMs wear those incorrectly.  Hence the days when we had to wear the maroon sleeves, if you remember that.  Many arguments have been made about the corporate vs USAF style uniform that do not need to be rehashed here.  If a military uniform is what the member wants to wear, then wear that one.   If the corporate style is what is desired, then wear that. 

The statement about SMs just wearing the corporate style is valid.  But my issue is that may of those are worn poorly as well standing shoulder to shoulder with members in the USAF style.  Same configuration, just different shirt and pants.  It goes to the overall professional image that we wish to portray and unfortunately most people don't distinguish between the uniforms.  They only see one thing, the whole of CAP.

Ribbons and badges are optional on the G/Ws.

For those who cannot wear AF uniforms, you'd ultimately eliminate even the ability to wear those ribbons/badges. We already have way too many people wear the AF uniforms outside of H/W regs, and this would make it even worse. Just what part of a properly worn G/W uniform doesn't look right to you? Because I've seen plenty of members in AF uniforms look worse than those in the corporates.

Garibaldi

+1.

Spam and I, as already mentioned in numerous other threads, are out of H/w to wear the AF style. Heck, I've even put on enough weight that my brand-new tac trousers don't fit right. I have the aviator shirt with all my stuff on it and that's fine. Debuting it next Wednesday.

If I can't wear my CAP ribbons and badges and ranks on it, what would be the friggin' point?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Toad1168

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on July 14, 2016, 06:45:41 PM

For those who cannot wear AF uniforms, you'd ultimately eliminate even the ability to wear those ribbons/badges. We already have way too many people wear the AF uniforms outside of H/W regs, and this would make it even worse. Just what part of a properly worn G/W uniform doesn't look right to you? Because I've seen plenty of members in AF uniforms look worse than those in the corporates.

If properly worn, I have absolutely no problem.  And that statement applies to both AF and corporate.  Unfortunately, we are too lax on the proper wear of uniforms.  Way too many members fail to realize that a uniform is not just another version of their own clothes.  It is incumbent on all of us to ensure proper uniform wear regardless of which combo is worn.  It affects the overall perception of the organization in terms of professionalism and even mission competency.

I have heard the argument that it shouldn't matter how the person looks as long as they are mission focused.  While this is true in theory, it is not in reality.  As a former cop, I wore a uniform every day for 17 years.  It is a fact that people make a decision about your professionalism and competency to do your job based on appearance.  Its an established fact that certain cops have been assaulted and others not based on their appearance in uniform, down to the appearance of their shoes.  What does this have to do with CAP?  Look sharp and be sharp.

My original comment about the removal of the grade and ribbons is based more on the appearance of the uniform.  You can put a tuxedo on a pig and it still looks like a pig.
Toad

arajca

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 14, 2016, 07:01:31 PM

If properly worn, I have absolutely no problem.  And that statement applies to both AF and corporate.  Unfortunately, we are too lax on the proper wear of uniforms.  Way too many members fail to realize that a uniform is not just another version of their own clothes.  It is incumbent on all of us to ensure proper uniform wear regardless of which combo is worn.  It affects the overall perception of the organization in terms of professionalism and even mission competency.

I have heard the argument that it shouldn't matter how the person looks as long as they are mission focused.  While this is true in theory, it is not in reality.  As a former cop, I wore a uniform every day for 17 years.  It is a fact that people make a decision about your professionalism and competency to do your job based on appearance.  Its an established fact that certain cops have been assaulted and others not based on their appearance in uniform, down to the appearance of their shoes.  What does this have to do with CAP?  Look sharp and be sharp.

My original comment about the removal of the grade and ribbons is based more on the appearance of the uniform.  You can put a tuxedo on a pig and it still looks like a pig.
Stop digging.

CAPDCCMOM

"..you can put a tuxedo on a pig, but it still looks like  pig"

Wow!!!! You would keep hard working and dedicated individuals from proudly wearing their insignia and decorations, that they have earned just as you have Toad, based on H/W? Nice example of respect for the individual.

I understand what you say about needing sharp uniform wear, and I happen to agree with you. Corporate or AF should be worn properly. What I do not agree with is you thinking I am not worthy of wearing my earned grade or ribbons.

BTW, even if you are a Toad, thank you for your service in law enforcement.

Edited for typo

Toad1168

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on July 14, 2016, 07:12:25 PM

Wow!!!! You would keep hard working and dedicated individuals from proudly wearing their insignia and decorations, that they have earned just as you have Toad, based on H/W? Nice example of respect for the individual.

I understand what you say about needing sharp uniform wear, and I happen to agree with you. Corporate or AF should be worn properly. What I do not agree with is you thinking I am not worthy of wearing my earned grade or ribbons.

Edited for typo

It has nothing to do with H/W, that was never what I said.  It strictly is referencing appearance and how the uniform is worn.  If worn properly, it looks sharp no matter what the body type.  My stance is more on the improper and sloppy wear of any of our uniforms by members.  My pig comment relates to a metaphor.  Picture a pig, wallowing in the mud.  Now you want to dress it up to look pretty.  If you put a tuxedo on it, it still looks like a pig.  Supposed to be funny. 

Again, please do not misconstrue my statements as a commentary of H/W as that is not what was stated or intended.  We all know how the typed word can be misinterpreted.  It was simply a statement of my opinion of the corporate uniform which I have and do wear as well. 
Toad

Chappie

I usually wear my dark blue NSC ball cap when wearing the polo/gray slacks.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: RNOfficer on July 13, 2016, 07:50:40 PM
IMHO , outdoors, the aviator shirt, grey trouser uniform looks incomplete without cap and the baseball cap looks too informal.

In military etiquette, an officer without a hat or cap outdoors in not fully dressed and should not be saluted. (A no-hat area, like a flight line might be, is almost always also a no-salute area)

Grey "garrison" caps are worn by cadets at military academies like the USMA and Citadel so should be available commercially. Incidentally, the grey color of the caps and the USMA uniforms comes from the New York militia uniforms worn by West Point cadets in the War of 1812. Grey is the traditional militia color and is the the beret patch color for the New York Guard, that state's organized militia.

I, also, believe that the grey/white uniform is incomplete without a cap. (And without a coat, for that matter).

But I disagree with your assertion re military protocol calling for officers without hats/caps to not be saluted. That is the norm in the U.S. sea services and in most commonwealth services, but not in US Army, USAF or, by extension, CAP, where salutes may be rendered or returned covered or uncovered and even in civilian clothes.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

N6RVT

Almost. if you have Aviation Wings you have to wear those on the Aviator shirt.  Same as with short sleeve Blues they are the only required badge.  In my case I also wear my ground team badge on the white shirt and my Army parachute Wings on the blue.  I wear no ribbons on either one because it's tradition for Air Force officers to leave those off.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Майор Хаткевич

As of this morning, I'm just 20lbs away from H/W standards. It's been a long road, just about 7 months to lose 42, but I feel the last 20, even if they take just as long, will be easy. But even when I get to that point, somewhere 4.5-5 years into having worn the G/Ws , I still think I'll advocate for those in that uniform, and the missing elements.

Eclipse

Quote from: N6RVT on July 15, 2016, 06:03:45 AM
Almost. if you have Aviation Wings you have to wear those on the Aviator shirt.

Incorrect.  All badges on the white aviator shirt are optional.  The only thing required is the nametag and the epaulet sleeves.

CAPM 39-1, Page 61:
"4.2.5.3.3.1. Aviation (CAP only) and Occupational Badges (CAP only). Wear of these is optional. "

As to the ribbons, since they are optional, wear them as you will, but don't propagate a tradition that doesn't apply to CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

grunt82abn

Quote from: Toad1168 on July 14, 2016, 07:22:17 PM

Edited for typo

It has nothing to do with H/W, that was never what I said.  It strictly is referencing appearance and how the uniform is worn.  If worn properly, it looks sharp no matter what the body type.  My stance is more on the improper and sloppy wear of any of our uniforms by members.  My pig comment relates to a metaphor.  Picture a pig, wallowing in the mud.  Now you want to dress it up to look pretty.  If you put a tuxedo on it, it still looks like a pig.  Supposed to be funny. 

Again, please do not misconstrue my statements as a commentary of H/W as that is not what was stated or intended.  We all know how the typed word can be misinterpreted.  It was simply a statement of my opinion of the corporate uniform which I have and do wear as well.

I am not the brightest bulb in the lamp, but I never even thought for a second you were talking about H/W standards. I agree, as a former cop and soldier, that if you look professional, you will act professional, and will be treated as a professional. In my short tenure in CAP so far, I have seen CAP SM, of all shapes and sizes, who have looked really professional, whether in the USAF or Corporate uniform, and have represented CAP in a positive manner. On the flip side, I have seen quite a plethora of SM, while in both uniforms, look like a total scum bum; having little respect for the uniform they are wearing or who they are representing. I often wonder if it is a lack of self respect and discipline, disdain for CAP and the USAF, or just being ignorant of how to present ones self in a professional manner.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Toad1168

Quote from: grunt82abn on July 15, 2016, 03:30:39 PM
Quote from: Toad1168 on July 14, 2016, 07:22:17 PM

Edited for typo

I am not the brightest bulb in the lamp, but I never even thought for a second you were talking about H/W standards. I agree, as a former cop and soldier, that if you look professional, you will act professional, and will be treated as a professional. In my short tenure in CAP so far, I have seen CAP SM, of all shapes and sizes, who have looked really professional, whether in the USAF or Corporate uniform, and have represented CAP in a positive manner. On the flip side, I have seen quite a plethora of SM, while in both uniforms, look like a total scum bum; having little respect for the uniform they are wearing or who they are representing. I often wonder if it is a lack of self respect and discipline, disdain for CAP and the USAF, or just being ignorant of how to present ones self in a professional manner.

Thanks grunt82abn.  That is the exact point I was trying to make.
Toad

SarDragon

Almost. if you have Aviation Wings you have to wear those on the Aviator shirt.  Same as with short sleeve Blues they are the only required badge.  In my case I also wear my ground team badge on the white shirt and my Army parachute Wings on the blue.  I wear no ribbons on either one because it's tradition for Air Force officers to leave those off.
Directed specifically at N6RVT:

So you're telling all of us that wear our G/W uniforms that, because of some AF "tradition", we shouldn't ever wear our ribbons?

This is a ponderable, so don't everyone else jump in first.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2016, 08:47:29 PM

So you're telling all of us that wear our G/W uniforms that, because of some AF "tradition", we shouldn't ever wear our ribbons?

We already can't wear military ribbons on the aviator shirt, and somehow he's advocating for NO ribbons at all? No. CAP specific ribbons on the CAP specific uniform is not only logical, but what would be the point of NOT wearing them at all? The G/W does not have a service dress equivalent, so don't tell me that there's another way to wear them on the corporate uniform.

No. No, no, and no. Illogical, nonsensical, and wrong.

Thanks for playing.

LSThiker

To be fair, he did not say that ribbons should not be worn on the G/W.  Rather, that he does not wear them on the uniform. 

I also do not wear my ribbons on the G/W simply because I do not like it.  However, I won't complain about others wearing ribbons on the G/W, nor will I restrict them.

SarDragon

Guys, thanks for the support, but I wanted a response from N6RVT first. Now we've already got a bit of a dog pile, and he hasn't even had the opportunity to defend his position. Not well played at all.  >:(
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on July 15, 2016, 10:30:55 PM
Guys, thanks for the support, but I wanted a response from N6RVT first. Now we've already got a bit of a dog pile, and he hasn't even had the opportunity to defend his position. Not well played at all.  >:(

Dave, your exact wording was "directed specifically at N6RVT" and you did not specify that you were waiting expressly for him to respond. However I can see that an interpretation of your post would indicate you were waiting on HIM to reply, but that this was something to think about. Whether by him or the rest of us, it is worth thinking of. The potential of alienating a great number of members who wear the Greys with this ribbon business was what prompted me to answer heatedly and first.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled post, already in progress.

DakRadz

Well the font is bigger than I intended, but emphasis mine.

etodd

This is why contributors should be able to lock a thread once their question has been answered. I just wanted to know what hat I could wear. It was answered on page one.

Garibaldi

Quote from: etodd on July 15, 2016, 11:01:22 PM
This is why contributors should be able to lock a thread once their question has been answered. I just wanted to know what hat I could wear. It was answered on page one.

You should know better by now!  >:D

We can't let go of things, like a dog with a new chew toy.

UWONGO2

Quote from: Eclipse on July 15, 2016, 02:59:10 PMAs to the ribbons, since they are optional, wear them as you will, but don't propagate a tradition that doesn't apply to CAP.

Careful, you're going to offend the people who think Total Force somehow means we're part of the Air Force now.

Luis R. Ramos

DakRadz-

Be careful. When you enlarge and bold fonts, like I think you did on part of another poster's message, people will get upset at you. They may tell you are yelling at them! Seeing the "ponderable" phrase is what I am speaking about.

Be very, very careful. The Force may go against you...

Don't yell, ahem! Don't use a large font, don't use all caps or bold text in this board...

:-X
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Капитан Хаткевич on July 15, 2016, 02:44:58 PM
As of this morning, I'm just 20lbs away from H/W standards. It's been a long road, just about 7 months to lose 42, but I feel the last 20, even if they take just as long, will be easy. But even when I get to that point, somewhere 4.5-5 years into having worn the G/Ws , I still think I'll advocate for those in that uniform, and the missing elements.

I've heard a lot of people say things to the effect of "Don't worry, grey buddies, I'll still be fighting for you from inside my blues." I've rarely seen anyone actually do so.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

Firechief160

Are Boonie hats allowed while wearing CAP corporate uniform?  If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

THRAWN

Quote from: Firechief160 on October 05, 2016, 08:21:38 PM
Are Boonie hats allowed while wearing CAP corporate uniform?  If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

First, welcome aboard. Second, there are about 500000 discussions on this topic. Take a look at the "search function" and just enter "boonie". Your answer is in there....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

RogueLeader

Are Boonie hats allowed while wearing CAP corporate uniform?

Yes.

If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

Make a compelling argument that he can agree with you.  If you can't, then you are out of luck, as the Squadron Commander has the right and the duty to set the uniform of the day.  If he states no boonie caps at all, that is it, period.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Only in the field during extended outdoor operations and then only when approved.

CAPM 39-1 Page 88
"6.2.11. Blue Boonie Hat. A dark blue boonie hat may be worn with the Corporate Field Uniform
when participating in extended outdoor operations and authorized by the commander or activity director.
Rank and chaplain insignia will be worn as for the Blue Field Cap. "

"That Others May Zoom"

Firechief160

etodd

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 05, 2016, 08:27:23 PM

Yes.

If Squadron Commander says no, how do I convince him otherwise?

Make a compelling argument that he can agree with you.  If you can't, then you are out of luck, as the Squadron Commander has the right and the duty to set the uniform of the day.  If he states no boonie caps at all, that is it, period.

Carry an umbrella per CAPM 39-1. Follow regs. It must be plain, black or dark blue, carried in left hand. No specification of which uniform, so I assume any. If your commander gets tired of seeing the authorized umbrella being used for shade, then he may prefer you wear the hat.  >:D

SARDOC

Quote from: Spam on July 12, 2016, 02:12:20 AM
My personal favorite (appropriate for conference wear) is the Knights Of Columbus hat.

With cape and sword, of course... Google it for fun!

V/R
Spam

I always thought they looked like flamboyant Pirates. 

Tim Day

Quote from: RNOfficer on July 13, 2016, 07:50:40 PM

In US military etiquette, saluting an officer has nothing to do with what the senior ranking person is wearing. The junior ranking person salutes when covered, even if the senior ranking person is not covered.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

HandsomeWalt_USMC

And not just not covered, but also if not in uniform. If you recognize a superior officer that happens to be wearing civilian clothes while you're in uniform and covered, then you render a salute and give the proper greeting of the day. An officer doesn't stop being an officer when they're in civilian attire.
HANDSOME SENDS

Semper Fidelis

"PRIDE IS CONTAGIOUS"

abdsp51

Quote from: HandsomeWalt_USMC on October 17, 2016, 03:37:46 PM
And not just not covered, but also if not in uniform. If you recognize a superior officer that happens to be wearing civilian clothes while you're in uniform and covered, then you render a salute and give the proper greeting of the day. An officer doesn't stop being an officer when they're in civilian attire.

Maybe in the USMC but this is not the case with the AF.

RogueLeader

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 17, 2016, 05:07:50 PM

You may want to review CAPP 151 page 6, bullet e as to what CAP expects.
Quote from: CAPP 151
Wen in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge the salute, but not return it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2016, 05:33:17 PM

Wen in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge the salute, but not return it.

What CAP expects...  We were talking real military....

RogueLeader

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 17, 2016, 06:18:14 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on October 17, 2016, 05:33:17 PM

What CAP expects...  We were talking real military....

The Army also taught the same thing, if you are in a uniform (doesn't require grade insignia) and you recognize an officer, you salute.  Yes, not the Air Force.  got it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Tim Day

Are you sure?

AFI 34-1201:
8.1.1. The hand salute is the form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in
the armed services. All Air Force personnel in uniform are required to salute when they
encounter any person or situation entitled to the salute

8.1.1.1. When the salute is rendered to another person, the junior member initiates the
salute accompanied with an appropriate verbal greeting, e.g., "Good Morning,
Sir/Ma'am". The salute and a verbal greeting should be extended at a distance at which
recognition is easy and audible. The salute should be offered early enough to allow the
senior time to return it and extend a verbal greeting before passing. All salutes received
when in uniform shall be returned; at other times, salutes received shall be appropriately
acknowledged.

I've also noticed that gate guards at AF installations consistently salute me when I'm in civilian clothes, after they check my ID.

Practice in different locations may differ from official policy. I'm curious as to what they teach at BMT.

Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

Eclipse

^ Don't muddle the conversation with "regs" and "facts", much easier to just perpetuate a wives tale and then
push that tale down to CAP.

Requirement to salute regardless of dress?  What's next, officers wearing ribbons?

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: Tim Day on October 18, 2016, 01:06:55 PM

Are you sure?

AFI 34-1201:
8.1.1. The hand salute is the form of greeting and recognition exchanged between persons in
the armed services. All Air Force personnel in uniform are required to salute when they
encounter any person or situation entitled to the salute

8.1.1.1. When the salute is rendered to another person, the junior member initiates the
salute accompanied with an appropriate verbal greeting, e.g., "Good Morning,
Sir/Ma'am". The salute and a verbal greeting should be extended at a distance at which
recognition is easy and audible. The salute should be offered early enough to allow the
senior time to return it and extend a verbal greeting before passing. All salutes received
when in uniform shall be returned; at other times, salutes received shall be appropriately
acknowledged.

I've also noticed that gate guards at AF installations consistently salute me when I'm in civilian clothes, after they check my ID.

Practice in different locations may differ from official policy. I'm curious as to what they teach at BMT.

BMT it's taught to salute when you are in uniform and the officer is in uniform. 

You are saluted at the gate a control upon verification of a valid DOD CAC or retired ID card that you are/were a commisioned officer.   I highly doubt any AF member is saluting you while you are out of uniform while on the installation...

kwe1009

AFMAN 36-2203 3.6.7. Civilians may be saluted by persons in uniform. The President of the United States, as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, is always accorded the honor of a salute. Also, if the exchange of salutes is otherwise appropriate, it is customary for military members in civilian clothes to exchange salutes upon recognition.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: kwe1009 on October 18, 2016, 07:34:54 PM

AFMAN 36-2203 3.6.7. Civilians may be saluted by persons in uniform. The President of the United States, as Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, is always accorded the honor of a salute. Also, if the exchange of salutes is otherwise appropriate, it is customary for military members in civilian clothes to exchange salutes upon recognition.

Although not regulatory, both The Officers Guide and The Air Officers Guide circa 60's-70's mentioned that salutes could be rendered tocivilians, with particular mention of when being introduced to ladies. I have t seen recent versions of those books - do they still print them?