How are Squadron Commanders Selected?

Started by LSW, July 07, 2016, 06:22:01 PM

LSW

Quote from: LSThiker on July 16, 2016, 06:46:09 PM
I remember when I was a new cadet watching a captain get promoted to colonel. I was most confused by that until later when someone explained it to me.  Although I understand it now, it still sits weird with me.

Can I assume that in both your case and Storm Chaser's that is was due to a position? From Captain to Colonel due to becoming a wing commander or something?

But in the case of Storm Chaser's example, and please correct me if I am wrong. from my OBC training I understood that everything over Lt. Col. is temporary based on position and once you no longer hold the position it reverts back to Lt. Col.?

MacGruff

Quote from: LSW on July 18, 2016, 05:41:35 PM
Can I assume that in both your case and Storm Chaser's that is was due to a position? From Captain to Colonel due to becoming a wing commander or something?

But in the case of Storm Chaser's example, and please correct me if I am wrong. from my OBC training I understood that everything over Lt. Col. is temporary based on position and once you no longer hold the position it reverts back to Lt. Col.?

I think your understanding is correct as Wing Commanders are Colonels (full birds). A couple of years ago the rules changed from having a one year qualification period where you held a "temporary" appointment as a Colonel. Now it's a Colonel from the get-go. The grade does NOT revert back to Lt. Col. It stays a Colonel from that point onwards.

Papabird

Quote from: MacGruff on July 18, 2016, 05:50:43 PM
I think your understanding is correct as Wing Commanders are Colonels (full birds). A couple of years ago the rules changed from having a one year qualification period where you held a "temporary" appointment as a Colonel. Now it's a Colonel from the get-go. The grade does NOT revert back to Lt. Col. It stays a Colonel from that point onwards.

Lt Col also now has a 1 year probationary period.  After one year of holding the grade of Lt Colonel, the current Region commander is notified in eServices and makes a determination to make it permanent at that point.

I just had this explained to me a couple of times.....for some reason....  >:D >:D >:D
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

JeffDG

Colonel for Wing Commanders is a temporary grade.  It is typically made permanent following a successful term of office.

The change to which you refer was that Wing Commanders used to be appointed to a 1 year probationary, followed by a 3 year full term in office.  That was changed about a year ago to do away with the probationary period.

FW

Last time I checked: For the grade of Col., it is a temp grade until the "successful completion" of term of office.  For the grade of Brig General and Major General, the grade is made permanent after 1 year of service. 

MSG Mac

Quote from: Papabird on July 18, 2016, 06:11:23 PM

Lt Col also now has a 1 year probationary period.  After one year of holding the grade of Lt Colonel, the current Region commander is notified in eServices and makes a determination to make it permanent at that point.

I just had this explained to me a couple of times.....for some reason....  >:D >:D >:D

LT Col always had the 1 year probationary period, but until a few years ago there was no way of routinely tracking the LtCols. Now the RC gets a monthly printout of the the probationers and (with Input from the Wing Commanders), and can checkbox individuals as needed.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Wing & Region Legislative CC's are temporary promotions to Lt Col, with the member reverting to their previous grade when they are replaced.

Region CV are also temporary to Col pending completion of assignment and approval by NHQ.

Maj Gen becomes permanent upon "successful completion" of assignment as National CC.

BGen becomes permanent after 1 year as NHQ-CV (and recommendation, etc), if the grade isn't confirmed, they
must step down as NHQ-CV.

Individuals selected as NHQ-CC, who were not already NHQ-CV (and thus a 1-star), are promoted temporarily for 1-year
to BGen, after which the promotion to Maj Gen is automatic, but still subject to the "successful assignment" to be permanent

As to the Lt Col - it's 1-year "probationary"(term not used in 35-5), at which time the Region CC can approved permanent,
extend the probation for another year, or demote to the previous grade held.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSW

Some how I figured I was not quite reading that correctly, but it is not really uncommon for battlefield promotions to be dropped, Custer was a Gen. in the Civil War but only a Col. when he died. I just always felt once you have a grade you should keep it. Glad to hear they can keep them.

Of course if you skipped rank as mentioned here, I could also see dropping said Captain from Col. to a Maj. when his command stint is done. Interesting subject.

N6RVT

Quote from: LSThiker on July 16, 2016, 06:46:09 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 16, 2016, 05:15:41 PM
I saw a member back in the 90's go from 2d Lt to Lt Col as a Wing Commander and full Col a year later. He wasn't the most competent Wing Commander to say the least.

I remember when I was a new cadet watching a captain get promoted to colonel. I was most confused by that until later when someone explained it to me.  Although I understand it now, it still sits weird with me.
The previous California Wing Commander was never a lieutenant colonel so that still happens

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kwe1009

Luis R. Ramos

Kwe-

Thanks for posting that link. However I got an error message "Sorry that story is no longer available."

From Stars and Stripes Japan: http://japan.stripes.com/news/af-colonel-get-double-promotion-2-star-general-top-chaplain-post
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

grunt82abn

Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present