How are Squadron Commanders Selected?

Started by LSW, July 07, 2016, 06:22:01 PM

LSW

I am not finding anything anywhere that really explains how it works. Requirements and the likes yes, but not the process behind choosing one or who to choose from.

I would think they are designated by Wing, but based on what? Does one apply? I seriously can not find anything explaining the process and all Knowledge base did was send me the same links my search came up with that told me nothing.

dwb

There is no standard process.

Sometimes it's "tag, you're it!", and sometimes it's a selection committee. And everything in between.

PHall

In every unit I have been in, the first choice for a new commander is somebody who is in the unit.
Having Group/Wing appoint an "outsider" is usually not a good sign.

MSG Mac

When a Commander's term is coming to an end, the next higher HQ will put out a message that there is an opening for a Commander at X Squadron, Group, or Wing. Those who are interested, and meet the requirements will apply, be interviewed, and discuss the job with the appointing officer or his representative. When the interviews are over, a Commander is selected.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

LSW

Thanks for the quick replies. MSG Mac, makes sense, that is what I seem to be seeing at the Wing Commander level right now as they search for a new one.

Cheers!

JeffDG

The process is technically a Wing Commander signs a CAPF 27 appointing the new commander, and it is submitted to NHQ for processing.  How that CAPF 27 gets generated, and by what process the Wing Commander decides, is up to the Wing Commander.

Holding Pattern

Step 1. Find new member
Step 2. Promote them to Commander.
Step 3. (optional) Make sure timing coincides with SUI

spaatzmom

Quote from: dwb on July 07, 2016, 06:31:51 PM
There is no standard process.

Sometimes it's "tag, you're it!", and sometimes it's a selection committee. And everything in between.

LOL, I was thinking more like is the person breathing or eenie, meenie, mighty, mo but tag you are it works too.

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: PHall on July 07, 2016, 06:47:17 PM
In every unit I have been in, the first choice for a new commander is somebody who is in the unit.

I'll attest to that. I was a Group CPO and was asked to take over a squadron within that group. Definitely not a good sign. An even worse sign - it was "effective Tuesday" and the current squadron commander was told only 5 minutes after I accepted - on Sunday.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

LSW

How about lining the squadron up in formation and tossing a dart over your head, whoever screams gets the job? Of course a CAP squadron may be spread out to much and it will take multiple tries to actually hit someone. Works better with active military, nice and tight.

Thanks everyone.

Luis R. Ramos

In some squadrons is a process similar to what you describe.

However, it is not "Who screams" that gets selected. It took too many tries. It was changed to "the person where the dart lands closest." That way you do not have to throw the dart too many times.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Panzerbjorn

Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

JeffDG

kcebnaes

Ask and ye shall receive. Probably.

Seriously though, if you're interested, talk to the current CC to get a feel for what the job does at that unit and to see if they are in fact stepping down, and then the CCs above(Group and Wing)!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Thingsā„¢

Storm Chaser

The process in every group and wing is different. In my group, I announce the vacancy, position requirements, selection criteria, application procedures, and deadline to apply by e-mail sent to all senior members in the group, regardless of current unit of assignment. All applications are reviewed by a selection board composed of members from different units, usually with experience in the different CAP missions. The selection board conducts interviews with each candidate and then makes a recommendation to the group commander (me), who proceeds to approve and submit the assignment to the wing commander.

I've found this process to be very effective. The only challenge is the lack of candidates at times. In that case, I usually extend the deadline and work with the outgoing unit commander to help identify potential candidates. One thing we try to do is identify and mentor potential command candidates early on, so that we're not scrambling to find a replacement last minute. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work as planned. But we try our best and it works most of the time.

Chappie

Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Luis R. Ramos

It is time to have this thread turn into the eternal uniform question...

Which uniform is best when someone is deciding on whether to apply as CC? :D
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on July 08, 2016, 05:11:02 PM
It is time to have this thread turn into the eternal uniform question...

Which uniform is best when someone is deciding on whether to apply as CC? :D

Polo.

THRAWN

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 07, 2016, 08:53:34 PM

I'll attest to that. I was a Group CPO and was asked to take over a squadron within that group. Definitely not a good sign. An even worse sign - it was "effective Tuesday" and the current squadron commander was told only 5 minutes after I accepted - on Sunday.

Sounds familiar. I was on wing ES staff and got a call from a group commander who said "Didn't you just buy a house near XXX squadron? I need a new commander..." That was Friday, I got my signed 2A on Sunday and my first meeting was Monday....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

stillamarine

Quote from: THRAWN on July 08, 2016, 05:26:31 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 07, 2016, 08:53:34 PM

Sounds familiar. I was on wing ES staff and got a call from a group commander who said "Didn't you just buy a house near XXX squadron? I need a new commander..." That was Friday, I got my signed 2A on Sunday and my first meeting was Monday....

Where is said XXX Squadron....sounds like fun.  >:D >:D >:D
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com