Main Menu

Windows 10 Guidance

Started by Eclipse, July 02, 2016, 04:13:12 AM

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Vector_JulySept_2016_7FEC30A9BFB82.pdf

**Update** - Windows 10 Guidance on NHQ Field Issued Laptops: The Windows 10 Free Upgrade program will end
29 July 2016. Due to the Microsoft licensing terms, below is the guidance on upgrading systems to Windows 10.
Laptops distributed during FY 2011 thru 2013 may proceed with upgrading the systems to Windows 10. These
systems have Windows 7 Professional. However, we recommend that you do not upgrade all of those systems to
Windows 10 to avoid complete downtime due to unforeseen software and hardware incompatibilities that weren't
discovered in our testing.

The last 2 year buys (FY2015, 2016) are not eligible for the Windows 10 Free Upgrade program due to the Windows
Enterprise license that these systems were imaged with. Windows Enterprise is not included in the upgrade program.

We will continue to monitor the Windows 10 upgrade promotion site
(https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade) for any changes that may occur to the program
that could allow free upgrades for Windows Enterprise licenses. A contingency plan is in place to purchase Windows
10 upgrade licenses by the end of the fiscal year, if no changes are made by Microsoft to allow free upgrades on
Windows Enterprise operating systems.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

You've gotta be kidding me...

etodd

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

PHall

Quote from: etodd on July 03, 2016, 10:05:07 PM
Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on July 02, 2016, 10:01:38 PM

Love my Macs.  LOL

This is for the laptops issued by National. They don't issue Macs. Neither does the Air Force...

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on July 03, 2016, 11:54:08 PM

Love my Macs.  LOL

This is for the laptops issued by National. They don't issue Macs. Neither does the Air Force...

Thank god for that.  even though AMC is using Ipads for the digital flight bag and somehow Apple manage to be able to support the security encryption to be used as a govt phone now. 

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 04, 2016, 12:53:38 AM

Love my Macs.  LOL

Thank god for that.  even though AMC is using Ipads for the digital flight bag and somehow Apple manage to be able to support the security encryption to be used as a govt phone now.

I have to use an iPad Air at work. I really, really miss my Toughbook.

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on July 04, 2016, 02:28:30 AM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 04, 2016, 12:53:38 AM

Love my Macs.  LOL

I have to use an iPad Air at work. I really, really miss my Toughbook.

AT&T was just beginning the transition when I left in 2011. Took some getting used to, using Citrix for Windows based programs and such.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Just a reminder, if you're gonna do it, corporate, personal, or CAP, now's the time - Friday (29 July 2016) is the deadline.

As I type this I'm working on my last couple for a client (real men upgrade operating systems remotely), and knocked out the
last one in my personal stash a couple days ago (forgot my son still had a netbook).

I've probably done 50 machines at this point and had maybe 2-3 with any issue, generally a chicken and egg
issue where for some reason the NIC driver fails so Windows can't go and download the updated drivers.

Beyond that, the machines are generally more stable and have better performance, and that privacy FUD
is just that, FUD, assuming you know what to disable.

One of my unit notebooks was upgraded early on with no issues, the other, sadly, like hundreds (thousands?) of
other CAP PCs, is locked into 7 because it's "enterprise", with no word from NHQ on the fix.

I still use and support Windows every day, but my road machine is a Chromebook, and to my pleasant surprise
I have yet to find anything I need that I can't do on it (other then Photoshop, for which I have a little Win 10
Netbook I updated w/ an SSD, but my need for PS on the road is limited).

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2016, 03:27:13 PMBeyond that, the machines are generally more stable and have better performance, and that privacy FUD is just that, FUD, assuming you know what to disable.

You shouldn't have to know special instructions to prevent a vendor from copying your information.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on July 27, 2016, 06:00:07 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2016, 03:27:13 PMBeyond that, the machines are generally more stable and have better performance, and that privacy FUD is just that, FUD, assuming you know what to disable.

You shouldn't have to know special instructions to prevent a vendor from copying your information.

What is this vendor "copying"?

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2016, 06:09:56 PM
Quote from: Fubar on July 27, 2016, 06:00:07 PM

What is this vendor "copying"?

Well every keystroke for one. Your contacts, calendar items, and "other associated input data" which they don't need from me.

They're about as bad as Google these days.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on July 28, 2016, 04:30:55 AM
Well every keystroke for one. Your contacts, calendar items, and "other associated input data" which they don't need from me.

Cite please.

"That Others May Zoom"

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Thank you - the second sentence of the headline from the third article sums it up.

"...anyone who has even a basic understanding of how networks work should cringe at this shoddy report."
(the now disavowed FUD posted at Forbes that started the clickbait that Win 10 was "bad")

The truth of the matter is that Win 10 integrates MS services at a closer level then other OS'.  If you are invested
in their infrastructure, this is a good thing, in the same way that Google's services are integrated into Chromebooks
and Android.

Ever read the TOS on Apple devices or looked into the recently "evolved" iAD?

Everything people were taking issue with is shown on the first screens after upgrade or install, and if you can't be bothered to
read the verbiage about what you are enabling, then that's on you.  People who allow their VCRs to flash 12:00 are not allowed to
complain they don't know what time it is.

Windows 10 doesn't require any more, or less, diligence then xp, 7, or (*blech*) 8 - don't use IE or Edge unless you absolutely
have to for a corporate application, use an ad blocker, and pay attention to what you click.

Most humorous in all this is that many of the people who "explain to me" how Windows 10 will "steal your data", are the same ones
who use their machines primarily to access Twitbook.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

So mow MS is starting to push the 1607 "Anniversary update" - it's mostly a bunch of stuff the
average person won't use, "stability fixes", more robust Defender,  and just enough UI tweak to be jarring if unexpected.

The fun - the "upgrade" as it's being referred in some places, stops the boot with a "new" first-boot
screen that resets the user's privacy and optional preferences back to MS' preferred choices unless they
re-read the options (the same ones they didn't read the first time). 

This includes resetting the browser default to Edge, and now in settings the OS asks you twice if you really, really want to
set the default to something else.   !@#$%

It runs every user though a new "Hi" cycle on first login, and all the crapware apps are reinstalled (Get Office, Skype Preview, Sway, etc.).

Meanwhile, back at stately Gates Manor, MS has changed their stance on Win 7 and 8 support which will now run through
EOL regardless of chipset. http://siliconangle.com/blog/2016/08/14/microsoft-backtracks-on-shorter-windows-7-support-plan/

Still no guidance from NHQ, though in light of the above, much less impetus to worry about it.

Any discussion on this at the Conference?

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Last night I upgraded our squadron laptops to SSDs (Samsung Evo 750 drives. They are about 10% slower than my 850 drives, but still far faster than the OEM HDDs.) I previously maxed the RAM on them. Instead of using the samsung migration tool I simply pulled the hard drives, installed windows 10 from PXE, and punched in the windows 7 pro key under the battery. Activation was successful on both systems.

This confirms several reports that I've seen online for a while: That even though MS is no longer pushing the windows 10 free upgrade, users can still take advantage of it if they wish to from a clean install.

Hopefully this helps people that missed the upgrade window (or that have enterprise licenses on their drives but an OEM license for windows 7 pro under the battery.)

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on October 21, 2016, 04:08:17 PM(or that have enterprise licenses on their drives but an OEM license for windows 7 pro under the battery.)

Shhhhhhhhhhh...

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Oh yeah, and the secondary benefit of this upgrade is that if I'm ever told that windows 10 has a "stability issue" with any CAP tools (we have CAP tools on computers?!) I can just slam the old drives in the system and be back on windows 7 in 30 minutes... well, 60 minutes if I have to run windows update.

TAG: WINDOWS_10_UPGRADE

Pace

Not sure why this was locked but you have a green light.
Lt Col, CAP

Eclipse

Hard to believe it's been a year since the last message here, with nary a further comment from NHQ.

The mainstream free upgrade program ended in July 2016, however MS allowed a very broad spectrum
of machines using "assistive" technologies to continue upgrading, with this allowance being discontinued,
as recently announced, on 31 DEC 2017.
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/10/30/microsoft-to-end-free-windows-10-accessibility-upgrade-offer/

Knowing the clock was ticking on the two machines my unit still has that are running Win 7 Enterprise,
I took the time today to see how much of a chore it will be to upgrade these machines.

I do this stuff for my day job, so it really wasn't a big deal, kind of a PITA, but generally straightforward.
Worth it to be getting the better performance and features of Win 10, just a few more hoops then a normal scratch or update.

The biggest impediment is that most of these machines are (inexplicably) Win 7 Enterprise.
You can't upgrade W7E to 10 through any of the free means, and you can't up(down)grade Win 7 Ent to Pro
by just changing the key, you have to scratch-install Win 7 Pro and get it activated before you can
then use the Assistive Technologies site to upgrade to Windows 10.

If your machine is Win 7 Pro (or other), then you can go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
and click the "upgrade now" - takes about an hour depending on your machine and internet connection.
When doing an in-place upgrade like this all your apps, data, and settings (other then those things
which are specific to Win 10) will remain in place, but of course caveat emptor about backups.

As of writing this, the latest build of Win 10 is 1709, which includes the Fall 2017 "Creator's Update".

Note, scratch-loading Win 7 will bring the machine back to "Out Of Box" (OOB) which means all your settings,
applications, and data will be erased.  Make sure these are backed up, and if necessary, you have the installers
for things like MS Office, etc. ready before you start.

In my case, the version of Office was so old that even though I have the installers for Office 2007 that came
with these machines, I went with Libre Office, which is free, has a UI similar to Microsoft's "ribbon", and is much
more up to date then say Office 2007.  https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

If you are fool-hardy enough to have a workflow that needs Outlook, this may not be an option for you,
and you should reconsider some of the life choices you have made which have brought you to this point.

Another caveat, if you have a very old printer, it may not be supported by Win 10, or not supported
in a straighforward manner.  If this is important, check first.

For the notebooks with W7E, you'll need the following:

The OEM Windows key found under the battery. If you don't have one, stop here, you're done.

Bootable media with the Windows 7 Pro .ISO on it.  I would suggest going with the 64 bit version, especially
if the device can support more than 4GB RAM and you might be interested down the line in upgrading the machine
(at your unit's expense).  Win 10 really likes 8GB.

Not sure if the machine will take more?  Go here: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner
and use Crucial scan to see your options.

I would also insure you have at least the network driver for your machine - you can copy it to the same flash drive
as the installers.  If it's a Dell, go here: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs
enter the service tag, and download all the current drivers, including the bios (as applicable).  I don't think
I've ever found a CAP notebook that didn't need a bios upgrade the first time I touched it.

There are lots of legit sources for the W7P installer ISOs.  I got one here this afternoon:
https://pcriver.com/operating-systems/windows-7-professional-iso-free-download.html
(Don't use the key in the comments, use a legit one).

Once downloaded, use your favorite util to create a bootable flash drive, I like Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Boot the machine to the flash drive and follow the instructions to install a clean version of
Win 7 Pro.  I would strongly suggest deleting all partitions and letting it do a full, fresh load.
This will probably take about 30 minutes or so.

Once the installation is done, and the machine is booting to the Win 7 Pro desktop, you'll have to activate it.
Right click "Computer" in one of the menus or from the desktop, choose properties, scroll down a bit,
and you should see text to the effect that you have "3 days to activate windows".  Click "Activate Now", and
wait for the prompts.

The OEM W7P keys cannot be activated automatically across the internet - you have to use MS' phone activation
system. It's a hassle, but not difficult. If you can, use the cell-phone app method it's easier.
They will text you a link and you can enter the numbers there, then read them off to enter into your PC.

Once activated, you don't need to patch or update Windows 7 - just move to the Win 10 upgrade.
Go here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade
and click the "upgrade now" - takes about an hour depending on your machine and internet connection.

You may have a couple of reboots, and will have to make some privacy decisions, but when complete, you
will have a fully legal, activated copy of Windows 10 Pro on your machine, and can go on to
create user IDs for other members to use, install apps, trim down the bloatware, etc.

The other nice thing is that once a machine has been activated as a Windows 10 machine, from that point
forward, if you need to scratch it again (malware, etc), you should be able to install Win10 directly and
have it activate itself automatically, as the hardware is now registered with MS.

Good luck.

"That Others May Zoom"