CAP members now eligible for Air Force Career Development Courses

Started by Eclipse, July 02, 2016, 04:09:58 AM

winterg

I don't know why they have all those CDC's.  There are only two jobs in the Air Force.  Pilot and Crew Chief.  At least that is what they told me at tech school!  ;D

PHall

Quote from: winterg on July 05, 2016, 07:15:09 PM
I don't know why they have all those CDC's.  There are only two jobs in the Air Force.  Pilot and Crew Chief.  At least that is what they told me at tech school!  ;D

Well then they told you wrong at tech school. Because everyone knows it's Flyers and everyone else! >:D

LSThiker

Quote from: PHall on July 05, 2016, 07:19:55 PM
Quote from: winterg on July 05, 2016, 07:15:09 PM

Well then they told you wrong at tech school. Because everyone knows it's Flyers and everyone else! >:D

Just like the Army:  Infantry and Infantry-support

abdsp51

Eclipse,

I am willing to bet you some of those on that list contain classified items to go with them.  And giving the struggle many face trying to even get on base to get uniforms,  amplify that trying to get to a test center.

The Air Force will fill its Tech School seats even with a draw down (which btw they realized their error the last go around).  Tech School is completely separate from CDCs and those will be filled with the folks who need to be there and can be used operationally.  Filling it with someone who is not going to use the knowledge is waist of time money and instructors.

My last tech school required a sec clearance to attend and your average CAP member will not have that nor have the need to obtain one.  This is something else that needs to be considered. 

Want to read some unclassified books fine sure.  Getting credit is different.  Plus who would sponsor the member on and stay with them while they are testing?

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 05, 2016, 07:24:04 PM
And giving the struggle many face trying to even get on base to get uniforms,  amplify that trying to get to a test center.
Amplify why?  There's no issue in my wing, nor should there be.

Every base is different, but people with legitimate need to access a resource, for whatever reason, don't normally have
much issue beyond "this is why I am here" - note, that is not the same as some random member wanting to poke around a base
because he's bored, or out of Chicklets.

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 05, 2016, 07:24:04 PM
... who would sponsor the member on and stay with them while they are testing?

The same people who sponsor, when necessary, any other base access, for starters this is one of the reasons we have CAP-USAF, LRADOs, and RAPs,
and why would anyone have to "stay with them while they are testing?"

I think last time I checked my wing had 4-5 PME testing centers, inconveniently located for all.

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 05, 2016, 06:31:32 PM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on July 05, 2016, 05:36:11 PM
I think the whole "What does this do for CAP?" sub-thread misses a pretty big boat.

Providing these courses to CAP members may bring minimal benefit to CAP. Or none at all, for that matter. But, providing the courses might benefit some individual members of CAP.

The courses aren't mandated. USAF has made them available to CAP. CAP has told their members. From here on, it's up to the members to slide their trays down the cafeteria line and see if they have interest in or need for the courses. See something you like? Put it on your tray and move on. Nothing strikes your fancy? Sorry.

In that regard, why can't people just see it as a.....wait for it....MEMBERSHIP BENEFIT?

CAP has a bunch of membership benefits. Slide your tray, help yourself. Or don't. Your choice. But I've never heard anyone ask "Tuition discount for Masters in Health Care Informatics? How does THAT benefit CAP? Or, "Hertz discount? I don't rent cars, how does that benefit me OR CAP?"

Slide your tray. Take the courses or don't. They aren't costing you anything. Be grateful if you can use them. Say "Oh, well" if you can't. Move on.

Ps - CAP membership benefits from the website. Slide your tray.

http://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/member_benefits/

Sir,

The thread shifted from CDC's to actually attending Air Force Tech schools.  I posed the question of what does the Air Force gain from allowing this if the member can not be used operationally. 

I am all for training opportunities and branching out but the training needs to be something that can be readily and consistently applied and most importantly used. 

Want to read some CDC's sure go ahead,  but how are you going to take the exam for course credit?  How are you going to apply what you have read and tested on? 

Outside of gee whiz stuff how does CAP benefit from it if it can not be used?

Wait - are you actually calling me out for NOT sticking to a drifted thread? Uh, OK, I suppose. But you seem fixated on in-residence tech schools when the topic isn't in-residence tech schools.

Exams? Same process as exams for SOS and ACSC. How to apply the knowledge? That's in the mind if the person gaining the knowledge.

And, you've repeated the "what does CAP get out of it?" question when my point was that CAP doesn't have to get anything out of it if the member does.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

THRAWN

I have taken a few of these, and they all were ES/EM related. Like it has been said, they have benefitted me in my career. There are plenty of testing locations....not sure what all the hubbub is about...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Shuman 14

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 05, 2016, 03:51:04 AM
Quote from: shuman14 on July 05, 2016, 03:29:04 AM
QuoteThere's no benefit to the AF allow CAP to attend the tech schools.  Can't use them operationally and to simply get credit is a waste of resources.

So other than "situational awareness" and the potential "free college credits", there is no purpose to taking these courses at all?  :-\

Did you even read what was posted???? No as usual you didn't.

No, I'm confirming the answer by asking the question a different way.

Why are you always so negative?  :-\
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Nick

Quote from: NCRblues on July 02, 2016, 04:58:51 AM
Neat?

Except what does "security forces" "CE - Fire protection" " munitions & weapons" have to bring to our table?

(Just FYI, I have done the CDC's for SF through my 7 level, and it is absolutely worthless to CAP.)

You don't think any of the ground combat stuff in the SF 3/5 level is useful to CAP ground teams?  Land nav, survival, sheltering, etc?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

raivo

Quote from: Hyperion on July 02, 2016, 04:41:21 AMAlso I want to take one of those Missile Maintenance courses. Don't know why, but I do.

Trust me... you'll be underwhelmed.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."