CAP members now eligible for Air Force Career Development Courses

Started by Eclipse, July 02, 2016, 04:09:58 AM

Eclipse

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAP_Vector_JulySept_2016_7FEC30A9BFB82.pdf

Air Force Career Development Courses: In addition to the rank specific distance learning courses (SOS, ACSC, AWC)
offered to CAP members by the Air Force, CAP members my now take Air Force career development courses (CDC).
The Air Force CDCs do not require a college degree. You can enhance your knowledge in any one of numerous
technical areas offered by the Air Force. To review the available courses go to the Career Development Courses
page on the capmemembers.com website or through the following link: Career Development Courses. If you have
any questions, contact Ron Olienyk at rolienyk@capnhq.gov.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/cap_elearning/career-development-courses/
Sample of courses

Administration
Aircraft Communication/Navigation Systems
Aircrew Flight Equipment
Broadcasting/Public Affairs
Chapel
Civil Engineering
Civil Engineering–Fire Protection
Command Control Systems
Contracting
Financial
Fuels
Instructor Methodology Course
Knowledge Operations
Logistics, Plans, and Programs
Manned Air and Space Maintenance
Maintenance Management Systems
Medical
Missile & Space Systems Maintenance
Mission Support
Munitions & Weapons
Paralegal
Precision Measurement
Safety
Services
Security Forces
Supervisor Safety
Supply
Transportation & Vehicle Maintenance

These classes are also available to Cadets who have earned the Mitchell award or higher.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hyperion

That's awesome news! I hope to take a look and see how the courses look and feel sometime soon.

Also I want to take one of those Missile Maintenance courses. Don't know why, but I do.
To serve in silence.

NCRblues

Neat?

Except what does "security forces" "CE - Fire protection" " munitions & weapons" have to bring to our table?

(Just FYI, I have done the CDC's for SF through my 7 level, and it is absolutely worthless to CAP.)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Nothing, but there are a lot on the list that may have some value, either directly, indirectly,
or as a value-add for members.

There's a lot of STEM subjects in the catalog, cyber, engineering, aviation, etc.
That list above is just a small sampling.

I think this may be something I'll check out myself.  Doesn't hurt on your resume,
and for cadets, serious career exploration, not to mention potentially getting the jump
on military careers.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The Instructor Methodology Course is probably the only course listed that would be a direct transfer to CAP.

AdAstra

CAP members have been eligible for CDC courses for a long time. I've completed a dozen or so over the years.

The Instructor Methodology Course was mostly theory about developing courses. For instructors, I highly recommend the free FEMA course IS-26: Basic Instructional Skills, which is probably more practical.
Charles Wiest

abdsp51

Quote from: Eclipse on July 02, 2016, 05:11:18 AM
Nothing, but there are a lot on the list that may have some value, either directly, indirectly,
or as a value-add for members.

There's a lot of STEM subjects in the catalog, cyber, engineering, aviation, etc.
That list above is just a small sampling.

I think this may be something I'll check out myself.  Doesn't hurt on your resume,
and for cadets, serious career exploration, not to mention potentially getting the jump
on military careers.

These items are rewritten every 2-3 years.   Plus alot of it will contain FOUO items as well. 

Holding Pattern

This is awesome. A lot of these qualify as college credits under ACE too.

stillamarine

Quote from: AdAstra on July 02, 2016, 06:04:50 AM
CAP members have been eligible for CDC courses for a long time. I've completed a dozen or so over the years.

The Instructor Methodology Course was mostly theory about developing courses. For instructors, I highly recommend the free FEMA course IS-26: Basic Instructional Skills, which is probably more practical.

I did the FBI Instructor School a couple months ago. Talk about the longest week of my life!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Holding Pattern

QuoteEligibility
Student eligibility is governed by the policies contained in AFI 36–2201. Participation in the program will not affect selection to the corresponding resident school.
AFCDA courses are available to a variety of individuals whose eligibility to enroll is based on their association with the US Government. Listed below are the various groups whose members may enroll in AFCDA courses. Following the list is a table of enrollment channels for these personnel.
2. Civil Air Patrol senior member officers or cadets who have achieved the General Billy Mitchell Award or higher.

Looks like cadets that are overachievers can get in on this too.

JeffDG

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on July 02, 2016, 07:25:40 PM

QuoteEligibility
Student eligibility is governed by the policies contained in AFI 36–2201. Participation in the program will not affect selection to the corresponding resident school.
AFCDA courses are available to a variety of individuals whose eligibility to enroll is based on their association with the US Government. Listed below are the various groups whose members may enroll in AFCDA courses. Following the list is a table of enrollment channels for these personnel.
2. Civil Air Patrol senior member officers or cadets who have achieved the General Billy Mitchell Award or higher.

Looks like cadets that are overachievers can get in on this too.
But not Senior Members who wear stripes.

DakRadz

I looked earlier, and I believe Level 1 is the only actual qualification. Keep in mind these are enlisted classes.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Shuman 14

Asking this question for situational awareness purposes, this is only for distance learning courses, correct?

It's not as if a CAP member can take 6-13 weeks off work to go to a full blown Tech school...

or now can they?
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on July 04, 2016, 10:28:10 PM
Asking this question for situational awareness purposes, this is only for distance learning courses, correct?

It's not as if a CAP member can take 6-13 weeks off work to go to a full blown Tech school...

or now can they?

No and they never have been able to either.

Eclipse

Quote from: DakRadz on July 02, 2016, 08:27:02 PM
I looked earlier, and I believe Level 1 is the only actual qualification. Keep in mind these are enlisted classes.

Correct - Level 1 for seniors, Mitchell for cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on July 04, 2016, 11:06:32 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on July 04, 2016, 10:28:10 PM

or now can they?

No and they never have been able to either.

So theses are just the "books" to complete the Level 3, 5 and 7 courses without the school portion and the PME (i.e. ALS, NCOA, SNCOA, etc.)?
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Eclipse

Quote from: shuman14 on July 04, 2016, 11:14:39 PM
So theses are just the "books" to complete the Level 3, 5 and 7 courses without the school portion and the PME (i.e. ALS, NCOA, SNCOA, etc.)?

"Books"?  They are full correspondence courses, including the requirement to compete the final assessments at an approved testing center for completion credit.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

These courses comprise the "knowledge" portion of the tech school curriculum. There is no accompanying practicum.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Shuman 14

Quote from: Eclipse on July 04, 2016, 11:19:40 PM
Quote from: shuman14 on July 04, 2016, 11:14:39 PM

"Books"?  They are full correspondence courses, including the requirement to compete the final assessments at an approved testing center for completion credit.

Back in the day, when you showed up to your first duty station after Tech School, they thru a stack of books at you.

I realize today that all of them are computerized distance learning modules now, hence the "quotes".
Joseph J. Clune

Shuman 14

Quote from: SarDragon on July 04, 2016, 11:28:37 PM
These courses comprise the "knowledge" portion of the tech school curriculum. There is no accompanying practicum.

Roger. That's what I thought but I just wanted to confirm.

It be really interesting if the USAF were to allow CAP members to attend the practicum portions, very unlikely, but an interesting idea.
Joseph J. Clune