Advice on Packing a 24-Hour Pack... Mil-Tec III Assault Pack

Started by Luis R. Ramos, June 28, 2016, 11:45:14 PM

Luis R. Ramos

Hi-

I just got a new Mil-Tec III pack. I find it is smaller than what I have used before as my 24-hour pack, an ALICE medium pack. I think I may fit everything I have in my ALICE just because of the pockets.

Having said that, anyone here owns the Mil-Tec III, and uses it as their 24-hour pack?

If so, how do you pack it? What do you put on each pocket?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Holding Pattern

I'm interested in this as well, as I have one in my shopping cart.

RMW14

I can't offer any advice for the Mil-Tec III but I have found that packing a 24hr pack is all up to the person. I tend to pack my 24 hour pack with the things I use most frequently in the most accessible positions.

I have a Mystery Ranch 3 day assault pack that hold my 24hr gear plus sleeping accommodations that include a tarp, hammock, and a poncho liner. Those are at the bottom of my pack so I have to open the large portion to prepare to sleep.
Ryan Weir Capt
Emergency Services Officer Jesse Jones Composite Squadron 304
Expert Ranger #274
NASAR SARTECH 1 Lead Evaluator/ WEMT
CD PAWG Central
AOBD,GBD,GTL, GTM1, UDF, MO, MS, MRO, AP

Spam

Good choice sir; our unit has standardized on such a pack for a decade now, reserving ALICE rucks for our base gear - but, what doesn't fit in the small pack? 

Perhaps I should rephrase: are there items you are trying to put in the DAY pack beyond the standard tactical gear list in Task 0001?

V/R
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

I have not moved anything from one to the other yet.

I just want to know what others have done.

A visual impression I get from looking at both is that the ALICE pack seems to be bigger.
Squadron Safety Officer

winterg

This is my pack of choice.  I find that it makes it easier if you add 1 or 2 of the triple m-16 mag pouches on the side for items.  The jacket and tarp take up the most space.  They are annoying, but they are required so I have them.  I can take a pic of where I have what when I get home. 

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Spam

Quote from: winterg on June 29, 2016, 12:48:49 PM
This is my pack of choice.  I find that it makes it easier if you add 1 or 2 of the triple m-16 mag pouches on the side for items.  The jacket and tarp take up the most space.  They are annoying, but they are required so I have them.  I can take a pic of where I have what when I get home. 

See, that's the thing I meant about reading "required" things into Task 0001.  There's no requirement to stow a field jacket in your 24 hour gear in the task, and the "tarp" requirement you cite is for shelter material, and that requirement expressly is annotated in the task that it can be met by a military poncho (which also meets the "optional gear" need for raingear). Solution: get a mil spec poncho, fold it flat, inner pocket, done.

Can't disagree with you on the utility of adding some mag pouches. I prefer the canvas M14 wide mouth pouches, but haven't needed their weight nor their storage capacity for required gear in years.  Minimizing the junk = lighter = less effort = more capability as a searcher.

Mr. Ramos, I hear what you're saying now about packing. The general rule in my unit with this pack has been to put the first aid kit into the outside, smaller pocket for immediate access (if we all put our individual kits on that outside pocket, I know for example where a member would keep his Epi-pen in a sting allergy emergency).  Working back to front, then, we typically put frequently accessed SAR kit material in that first compartment (gloves, light, water, etc.) and the subsistence gear (meals, etc.) in the compartment closest to the back of the wearer, as it is typically heavier and is better worn closer to the c.g. of the hiker.

The only thing we really tend to push though is to have our team members standardize on where those self-aid first aid packs are, for quick access.

Well, that and I'd strongly recommend getting an ALICE type compass pouch for your compass, and securing it to one of the shoulder straps, after securing your compass to it via a 550 cord lanyard. Secure one end to the compass, pass the running end through the grommet in the bottom of the compass pack, make a tight knot bigger than the grommet, (burn/melt as reqd.) and trim the excess.

Hope this helps,
Spam

Eclipse

Make sure the items indicated to be "on your person", are not in the day pack (other then long-term stowage).

Those items are specifically not supposed to be packed in something that could become separated
from your body because they can save your life if your day pack tumbles down a hill or sinks to the bottom of a stream.
IMHO the compass should be included in that list, but it isn't so que-sera.

The watch should probably be updated to include "cell phone".  A watch with a compass on it would literally save your life,
but note the mirror,whistle, and knife aren't supposed to be packed.

24 hour pack
1) On your person:
a) Complete BDU uniform with BDU cap. The BDU cap may be replaced by a hard hat
or bright colored cap based on mission needs.(T)
b) Notepad and pencil (T)
c) All CAP Identification, including 101 card, 76 card, First Aid card, etc. (T)
d) Watch (T)
e) Handkerchief or Tissues
f) Vest, reflective, orange (T)
g) Comb or brush (optional, carry if needed) (T)
h) Ground Team Member's Handbook
i) Signal Mirror
j) Whistle
k) Pocket or utility-type knife, multipurpose with can opener. Swiss Army knives,
Leatherman, or Gerber Tools are recommended. (T)

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

Spam, I have to disagree.  For the shelter material, the task says you can use a spare poncho for this item.  So I can either carry a poncho and shelter material or I can carry two ponchos. No real savings on volume either way. 

As for the jacket, I don't carry a field jacket.  I have a gortex jacket.  I live in Florida. Trust me. It is NECESSARY. Lol

Eclipse

I have a hammock with a rain fly for the shelter.  Not much more volume-wise then
the typical ponchos or tarps, etc..

Assuming I can find some carbon nontube reinforced trees to hold up my mass, it'd be more pleasant
in a field situation then something on the ground, and if not, it can work as a typical lean-to or a-shaped shelter
tent.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spam

Oh, I hear you on the FLWG climate!  I was a GTL in South Brevard Comp. Sqdn for five years, came in second after Max Ortiz in the '90 FLWG SARCOMP when our COV broke... yet, not one of the hundreds of Florida GTM/Ls in the '80s and '90s then did poorly without a goretex jacket (we just broke out the multi use milspec ponchos and saved on the weight/bulk). The jacket is a carry or tie on item, though, not a stow item, I think we'd agree?

I looked at the list again, and the way its worded it does indeed seem to imply that you need to carry two ponchos, or one plus a big tarp. That isn't how we wrote the original MDWG "yellow book" in the 90s which many (most) of these tasks were copied from. It seems that somewhere along the line, the tinkering introduced more gear than the intended CONOPS really had meant (i.e. 2 members snap together 1 poncho each over a taut line for a poncho shelter, in the rare instance of needing shelter without base gear). Doubling the necessary rain shelter mass per searcher is, I think, not what was intended and is a bad idea.

Eclipse makes some good points as well about cell phones (I'd add other electronics as well, but that's a separate thread). The list is very outdated, confusing, and in my opinion a bit bloated. Bottom line, the personal 24 hr gear should be light minima for individuals, reserving heavy shelter stuff for the base gear.

Perhaps the nascent rewrite team will consider this (I've not heard back from that team, they probably are stood down awaiting NHQ's pubs revision decrees from on high).

V/R
Spam

Spam

Quote from: Eclipse on June 29, 2016, 04:55:31 PM
I have a hammock with a rain fly for the shelter.  Not much more volume-wise then
the typical ponchos or tarps, etc..

Assuming I can find some carbon nontube reinforced trees to hold up my mass, it'd be more pleasant
in a field situation then something on the ground, and if not, it can work as a typical lean-to or a-shaped shelter
tent.

I'd love that option in my base gear. Given my mass though, I'd present the appearance of a McDonalds or Whattaburgers sign by morning (those poor trees)!

Over the decades, I've spent many a night on an actual mission either awake and working, or crashed on a hangar/trailer floor, or on the back seat of a vehicle. Only on a couple actual missions have I ever had the time (or not been so tired) to break out erect and use a shelter. Therefore, I tend to "train like I intend to fight", and in recent years I just "Sleep in the Jeep".

Which doubtless makes the poor trees relieved...

Cheers
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

I have done the same... That is, sleep in the car whenever I have had to stay overnight. Most of the time it was airshows. I carry the 24-hour and 72-hour packs just because they are required.

As for the canteens, I carry them but most of the time I have gone in a mission, they have been in New York City area. If I need water, drop into a 24-hour deli, restaurant, MacDonalds, or Burger King. Yet I carry the canteens (in the car) in case I need them...
Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Winterg-

You said you could take a photo of your pack. Will you do that, please?

The first item I re-thought about... My first aid kit is the Airborne plastic case in its pouch... It surely will not fit there... and it was suggested I use the smallest pouch at the top, cannot. I carry a pocket mask. And usually since I am asthmatic, my inhaler. At the moment I will have to use that smallest pocket for the pocket mask and my pump... since the equipment lists and other papers state that "all medication should be in the original container," the pocket does not give enough space with both the pocket mask and pump in box... Luckily the Airborne First Aid pouch does come with ALICE clips, will attach that pouch outside of the pocket... Before I threw all in the ALICE pack, threw all into the bag, plenty of space there for the Airborne first aid kit and pocket mask but when it was needed, a PITA to find!

What about food items? Do you carry other than MREs?

I have looked for other options such as food pouches marketed for campers. However the ones I have found come in pouches for two or more people, not for one. Maybe I have looked in the wrong place. Has anyone found a company that sells survival food or food for campers in packages for one person?
Squadron Safety Officer

winterg

Luis,

I promise I will get those pics. Work ran me a little ragged yesterday and I forgot when I finally got home.

Your Mil-Tec should have a sleeve for a water bladder.  I ditched my canteens and added a 3 liter hydration bladder to my pack.  I usually maintain it about half full and it can be topped off if necessary.  To compliment that, I add a Lifestraw to my pack for long-term (read disaster) emergency water needs.  It is one of the very few non-task items I recommend for a kit and they are small enough to make them viable.

Since your First Aid kit needs are a little more than the basic required items, It may work if you put all the items in a large freezer bag and stow them in the lower outside compartment.  It would most likely take up much less space than the hard case you currently have.  Alternatively, look for a GP molle pouch you can attach to the side.  The PALS attachments on these packs unfortunately mean only a small or vertical pouch tends to work on the sides.

As for food.  I just use MRE's.  I used to carry Mountain Home, but unless you have their heater pouch, which is separate and bulky, you need a way to heat water to use them.  MRE's are just too convienient.

winterg

I had a few minutes before heading to work.  I hope these help.

I have a water bottle pouch attached on the left that tholds my poncho.  That way if I have to put it away wet while still out it does not get everything else wet in my pack.  My gortex and tarp are rolled together and attached underneath the pack to keep them out of the way.

Outside lower compartment: Flashnight, sheath knife, writing implements.  I also throw some gorp in here occasionally.

Main compartment 1 (furthest from back):  Survival kit in freezer bag, GTL gear, Lifestraw.

Main Compartment 2 (closest to back): Food, SAR kit in freezer bag, gloves, task guide.

Vest: My vest has pockets.  Everything listed to be on your person is kept in the right hand pocket.  My first aid kit in a zip lock bag is kept in the left hand pocket.

The vest is folded and attached to the pack using the built in webbing so it is all kept together.

Pack your kit however it works best for you.

Luis R. Ramos

It does have the sleeve for the water bladder.

Thanks for the pictures.
Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

About a water bladder...

It came without a bladder. Went into the website, could not find one, there was a disclaimer. The website is for bulk purchases, for less than that to contact the retailers link. However there was no retailers link...

Went to Cheaper than Dirt, where I ordered the pack, and found a bladder not necessarily for a Mil-Tec. I ordered the 5ive Star Hydration Water Bladder 2.5 liter. $22.44 including shipping. There was a $1.99 discount...

I know, I could have/should have asked here for advice on getting a Mil-Tec bladder, or if not available, on getting one for this pack. Before I put the order in for the bladder.

Anyway the deed is done.

Does anyone have a contact for buying a Mil-Tec water bladder? Or advice on whether they are using any bladders when their packs have space for one but do not come with one?
Squadron Safety Officer

winterg

I used a Camelback 3 liter in mine. 

NC Hokie

Quote from: winterg on June 30, 2016, 10:38:19 AM
I had a few minutes before heading to work.  I hope these help.

I have a water bottle pouch attached on the left that tholds my poncho.  That way if I have to put it away wet while still out it does not get everything else wet in my pack.  My gortex and tarp are rolled together and attached underneath the pack to keep them out of the way.

Is that the same pack as this one?
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/mil-tec-coyote-assault-pack-small-14002005-4046872175145.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy