How long does CAP keep mission data?

Started by Ozzy, June 14, 2016, 10:15:04 PM

Ozzy

So I've joined CAP and was happy to see a lot of my PD and other training that was in eservices have been saved. However, it seems my records from the unit may have been lost in the 5 years that I've been gone as the squadron has moved several times, changed command several times, and other events. In an effort to create some of my records, I was looking to get some old mission data from about 8 years ago so that I can substantiate the several finds I had, as well as the amount of missions I had participated in.

Checking eServices, it seems mission data only goes back about 5 years or so, is there some archive of older mission data I am missing?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

sardak

Per CAPR 10-2, Table 8, Mission Records - destroy after 4 years following closure or suspension of the mission except where there is actual or potential litigation and then they will be retained until that issue is resolved.

Mike

etodd

As a fairly new member I'll ask.  Is there a reason I should keep my own records separately of missions and activities? When, several years from now, would I need that info for some reason? Advancements, etc.?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

wacapgh

Yes! Keep your own copies of everything. Despite everyone's best efforts, sometimes your unit does not get a copy, someone forgets to update a database, files go missing, etc.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

etodd

Excuse me if I'm sidetracking the thread, but I still don't know why, 5 or 10 years in the future, I would need to know how many and what types of missions I did this year, other activities, etc.? Once I've done what is required to pass something off (2 sorties for MO, for example) and its noted I'm now a MO, why do I need to keep track? What am I missing?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on June 15, 2016, 01:51:57 AM
Excuse me if I'm sidetracking the thread, but I still don't know why, 5 or 10 years in the future, I would need to know how many and what types of missions I did this year, other activities, etc.? Once I've done what is required to pass something off (2 sorties for MO, for example) and its noted I'm now a MO, why do I need to keep track? What am I missing?

Hours and / or missions needs to be tracked for upgrades to Senior and Command pilot as well as SAR ribbon, CD ribbon, Find ribbon,
DR-V, O-Ride ribbon.

As of today none of the activity around those decorations is tracked online.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

Well, the reason I ask is because as I stated above, I am a returning member and my records from my old unit are currently AWOL. While eServices has the most important information, other information (Like form 2As) are missing. So if I want to wear my old ribbon rack, which has a SAR ribbon, Find Ribbon, CAC, National Cadet Comp ribbon, etc. I don't have the 2As to back them up.

I could wait to re-earn them, but it generally takes a few years if you are lucky to get enough missions to get a SAR ribbon and a Find ribbon.

Edit:
So I guess the question would be, should I wear them even though I can't currently back it up?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Luis R. Ramos

You cannot wear what you cannot back up. Just like in the services.

You should have kept your own copies...
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Wear what you can substantiate and add things back as you can.

I have a member in a similar situation - records not retained, so things she knew she did
can't be properly substantiated. 

It seems like every time we open an old drawer, or dig through old docs we find another piece of her puzzle.
The other day I found a PA with her name for a Unit Citation she had no idea she'd earned.

You might try contacting others from the same era - photos could substantiate participation as well as
2As.

I've told the story here before - one of my Wing Conferences was being denied, wing had no records,
until I showed photos of me giving a class. 

Same goes for PAs or mission records - others who were there may still have attendance logs, certs, photos,
or related docs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

Well I am currently doing what I can... I went away to the Army and what physical files I had were lost due to family issues. I do have my old laptop (That's basically fried) that I did keep meticulous records of most everything I did, just getting the actual data from it's hard drive is being the problem. I know what I need is in there, but getting to open documents is a real PITA as I get "Access Denied" and such.

Anyways, I'll figure it out. This was just one of the possible routes to getting my records back in order from scratch. I still have others
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
GAWG Encampment 18, 19

Eclipse

Mounting the drive on another machine might make recovery easier, it could also bypass any OS-level
password issues.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: etodd on June 15, 2016, 01:01:39 AM
As a fairly new member I'll ask.  Is there a reason I should keep my own records separately of missions and activities? When, several years from now, would I need that info for some reason? Advancements, etc.?

Database corruption erases 100,000 Air Force investigation records

You never know when your paper copy might become THE copy. Keep your squadron personnel file updated often! Make copies on an annual basis.

Luis R. Ramos

They promised this would be...

The Paperless Future!!!

>:D
Squadron Safety Officer

AirAux

etodd, very few members go through a 30 year career with CAP without some time off and away.  Maybe school, life, that messy divorce; that semi that should have stopped and didn't, the list goes on.  Upon returning to CAP, if one has their own records, things usually pick up where you left off.  The future is unpredictable.  You know the CAP motto, Be Prepared..  Err, wait, my bad..,  but a good idea...  Plus 60 years from now your grandkids will get a kick out of going through your old records and thinking you were a hero!!