Error in Achievement 5 drill test?

Started by NC Hokie, June 02, 2016, 08:15:54 PM

NC Hokie

I have been looking at the Achievement 5 drill test and came across what I think is a major error in the sequence of commands that the testing cadet is instructed to give to flight.  I'm following all of the movements in my head and it appears that the Column of Files command near the end of the test is given when the flight is in line formation.  This leads to two questions:

1) Is the flight really in line formation at the time this command comes up in the sequence?

2) Should the Column of Files command be given while the flight is in line formation?  My suspicion is that it should not since the element leaders are not positioned across the front of the formation, but I may be wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

jeders

Quote from: NC Hokie on June 02, 2016, 08:15:54 PM
I have been looking at the Achievement 5 drill test and came across what I think is a major error in the sequence of commands that the testing cadet is instructed to give to flight.  I'm following all of the movements in my head and it appears that the Column of Files command near the end of the test is given when the flight is in line formation.  This leads to two questions:

1) Is the flight really in line formation at the time this command comes up in the sequence?

2) Should the Column of Files command be given while the flight is in line formation?  My suspicion is that it should not since the element leaders are not positioned across the front of the formation, but I may be wrong.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I never really noticed this before, but it would appear you are correct. The flight does appear to be in line formation rather than the column formation which is required for executing the command according to AFMAN 36-2203.

I would imagine that the reason this hasn't been much of an issue before is that the purpose of the Achievement 5 drill test is not to determine that the flight can correctly execute a command or even that the cadet giving commands knows their proper use; but rather, "only the cadet's ability to call commands properly is being evaluated."
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

DakRadz

But if the command is called in the incorrect alignment, it isn't in fact called correctly, is it?

MSG Mac

There is nothing to keep the cadet from giving the proper command to get them into position.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

And that shows and helps them develop initiative and leadership. Isn't that one of our goals in the Cadet Programs? We don't want them to be robots blindly following instructions, but to be critical thinkers, capable of making decisions and adapting to situations.