Main Menu

DOV Defined

Started by Check Pilot/Tow Pilot, May 25, 2016, 12:58:50 PM

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Does anybody know what DOV stands for? I know Standards and Evaluation so what does the initials in the *initialism* DOV actually stand for?

Is it Director of standardizatiOn and eValuation 😎 Or Director of Operational Vehicles 😃

I have a feeling that this is some arcane holdover from early USAF days.

Thanks!

JeffDG

Office symbols route back to their parents.

DO is the Director of Operations, which is who DOV works for,  The V is eValuation IIRC.  Also note, that at the Wing level, DOV is the Stan/Eval Officer, not "Director of" per CAPR 20-1

Similarly, the DOS is the Director of emergency Services under DO. 

THRAWN

Quote from: Mission/Tow Pilot on May 25, 2016, 12:58:50 PM
Does anybody know what DOV stands for? I know Standards and Evaluation so why not use the abbreviation DSE.

Is it Director of standardizatiOn and eValuation 😎 Or Director of Operational Vehicles 😃

Thanks!

From 60-1: DOV – Office symbol for National, region or wing chief of standardization and evaluation (stan/eval).

It is not an abbreviation.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

TheSkyHornet

Just an FYI---

All of the official office symbols are located in Attachment 1 of CAPR 10-1 Preparing Official Correspondence

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R010_001_A8B5F10FA5AC7.pdf

Bear in mind that you will often hear many acronyms/abbreviations that aren't actually official, despite them being written out in common usage.

Office symbols represent an agency, department, or command, not necessarily a particular single person.

THRAWN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on May 25, 2016, 01:09:10 PM
Just an FYI---

All of the official office symbols are located in Attachment 1 of CAPR 10-1 Preparing Official Correspondence

Bear in mind that you will often hear many acronyms/abbreviations that aren't actually official, despite them being written out in common usage.

Office symbols represent an agency, department, or command, not necessarily a particular single person.

Such as?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

jeders

Quote from: THRAWN on May 25, 2016, 01:10:44 PM
Just an FYI---

Such as?

DCC for deputy commander of cadets.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

TheSkyHornet

"DCC" for Deputy Commander of Cadets (despite the office symbol CDC)
"CDS" for Deputy Commander of Cadets (actually CDS)

"AO" for Admin Officer
"CDR" for "Commander"
"CO" for "Commanding Officer"
"DCO" for "Deputy Commanding Officer"
"PO" for "Personnel Officer."

I hears these get used interchangeably all the time. Some squadrons use them on org charts.

Plus, there's a bunch of linked terminology that gets hard to determine appropriate use.
The "DOS" is the CAP office symbol for Emergency Services. But the "ESO" is the official CAP acronym for the Emergency Services Officer.

Eclipse

The above are not acronyms, they are initialisms.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/05/the-difference-between-an-acronym-and-an-initialism/
"Acronyms, of course, are abbreviations where the abbreviation is formed from letters of other words (usually the first letter of each word, though not always).  The part of the definition of acronym that many people miss is that the resulting abbreviation needs to be pronounceable as a word.  Examples of this would be things like RAM (Random Access Memory); LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation); NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration), and OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries).

Initialisms are very similar to acronyms in that they are made up of letters of some name or phrase, usually the first letter of each word as is common with acronyms.  The difference between an acronym and initialism is that the abbreviation formed with initialisms is not pronounced as a word, rather you say the individual letters, such as FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation), CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), and DVD (Digital Video Disk*)."

"That Others May Zoom"

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Just an FYI---

Yes, thank you!

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2016, 02:34:22 PM

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/05/the-difference-between-an-acronym-and-an-initialism/
"Acronyms, of course, are abbreviations where the abbreviation is formed from letters of other words (usually the first letter of each word, though not always).  The part of the definition of acronym that many people miss is that the resulting abbreviation needs to be pronounceable as a word.  Examples of this would be things like RAM (Random Access Memory); LASER (Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation); NASA (National Aeronautics and Space Administration), and OPEC (Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries).

Initialisms are very similar to acronyms in that they are made up of letters of some name or phrase, usually the first letter of each word as is common with acronyms.  The difference between an acronym and initialism is that the abbreviation formed with initialisms is not pronounced as a word, rather you say the individual letters, such as FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation), CIA (Central Intelligence Agency), and DVD (Digital Video Disk*)."

Learn something new every day! Thanks!

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: THRAWN on May 25, 2016, 01:04:19 PM
Does anybody know what DOV stands for? I know Standards and Evaluation
Thanks!

From 60-1: DOV – Office symbol for National, region or wing chief of standardization and evaluation (stan/eval).

Thanks...

THRAWN

Good stuff here. Thanks.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Mission/Tow Pilot on May 25, 2016, 03:23:00 PM

Ok..now...is it "Cap", or C-A-P?

Because I've always said C-A-P, but so many people say Cap...it drives me up the wall.

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on May 25, 2016, 04:01:46 PM
Because I've always said C-A-P, but so many people say Cap...it drives me up the wall.

Any time someone says "CAP" (as in hat), a kitten dies.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Mission/Tow Pilot on May 25, 2016, 03:23:00 PM

A cap is what I take off of my Guinness. CAP is what makes me take the cap off of my Guinness....
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2016, 04:11:19 PM

So how many kittens have died due to our CapFlights? 

So this website is not CapTalk but rather C-A-P-Talk?

>:D

It annoys me when I hear CAP members say Cap, but not so much when non-members say Cap. 

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on May 25, 2016, 05:10:56 PM

To many, now these are the only CAPFlights:

"That Others May Zoom"

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: JeffDG on May 25, 2016, 01:02:12 PM
Office symbols route back to their parents.

DO is the Director of Operations, which is who DOV works for,  The V is eValuation IIRC.  Also note, that at the Wing level, DOV is the Stan/Eval Officer, not "Director of" per CAPR 20-1

Similarly, the DOS is the Director of emergency Services under DO.

This seems the most logical, and perhaps because DOE was taken 😄

If figured if one day I become an IP, CP and MCP that I should know what it means.

Anyone else have any info about the origins of DOV.?

SarDragon

Traditionally, it is spelled out (how I learned it back in the day), and some old timers will really get on your ass for saying 'cap'. Our CAP/CV is one of those, and his mantra (ball cap in hand) is: this is a cap, you're a member of C-A-P.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Check Pilot/Tow Pilot

Quote from: THRAWN on May 25, 2016, 01:04:19 PM
Does anybody know what DOV stands for? I know Standards and Evaluation so why not use the abbreviation DSE.

Thanks!

Thanks, I'm a Mission Pilot and tow pilot, and am familiar with 60-1 😃 I was looking for the historical history of DOV.

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on May 25, 2016, 06:43:40 PM
Quote from: LSThiker on May 25, 2016, 05:10:56 PM

To many, now these are the only CAPFlights:

Tell that to Atlanta Center...Call up "CAP 4128 level seven five hundred", response "CAPFlight 4128, radar contact, altimeter 3002"