Squadron Calendar Formats

Started by Pylon, May 21, 2007, 05:58:01 PM

Pylon

I've been working with my Squadron Activities Officer and Commander to come up with a better squadron calendar format.  We participate in many events at units outside of our own (hosted by other units, group, wing, etc.), in addition to squadron activities.   The Squadron Activities Officer regularly updates the calendar and passes out copies about every other week.  I also occassionally mail home the calendars to the parents.

However, I am having issues coming up with a good, easy-to-read (and easy-to-maintain) format for the calendar that can relay several important facts for each event: Date, times, location, host unit, forms needed, due date for sign-up/paperwork, cost, POC, and additional information/description.

I've attached a version I've been tinkering with, but I still don't like it.  I'm a graphics designer and I could (and have) come up with nifty versions in InDesign, but they're not easy for other people to maintain.

I was hoping perhaps some of you could share your squadron calendar formats and what's worked, what hasn't worked, and perhaps post samples?  (As always, you can attach Word docs, as well as PDFs and zip files directly to your posts).

Thanks all.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Take a look at the link on here. This is to the LAWG calendar that we keep on the website. Works pretty well for us. If your SQ has a website, this would be the easy way to do it. See if this helps.

http://www.lawgcap.org/calendar.htm
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Lancer

Mike,

I'm a big fan of http://calendar.google.com. You can integrate it right into your unit's website, easy to read, maintain, etc. And for those without internet access, you can still print out an easy to read version of it.

Check it out.

LtCol White

Mike, also, take a look at the Cadet Programs page when you go to the LA Wing site. There is another calendar format there which also works well
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

MIKE

Off topic:  TLC replaces the requirement for AFIADL-00013?  ???
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Thank you for the tips gentlemen!  I am working on improving our web calendar, too, but I should have been more specific in that I am really looking for formats on paper calendars.

We have members who do not have internet access and a few who do not have computers.  Regardless of that, I also prefer to distribute important things by paper and electronically.

Anybody have formats of paper-based calendars they could share?

Quote from: MIKE on May 21, 2007, 07:12:59 PM

Off topic: That change is coming down the pipeline as recently announced at the NYWG Conference this month.  Members will be able to substitute TLC or UCC for AFIADL-13 requirements, with retroactive application to those who take TLC or UCC now.  My members had been briefed about this, so they are aware it's not yet official, but it is coming.

captrncap

Quote from: Pylon on May 21, 2007, 07:15:23 PM

Off topic: That change is coming down the pipeline as recently announced at the NYWG Conference this month.  Members will be able to substitute TLC or UCC for AFIADL-13 requirements, with retroactive application to those who take TLC or UCC now.  My members had been briefed about this, so they are aware it's not yet official, but it is coming.

I knew about the UCC not the TLC.

Lancer

Anybody have formats of paper-based calendars they could share?

Have you looked at any of the templates on Micro$oft.com? There is a plethora...

Psicorp

Quote from: MIKE on May 21, 2007, 07:12:59 PM

Memorize four volumes of CAP & AF literature or take a weekend course...hmm...that's a tough decision.  And to think I actually have the AFIADL exam waiting for me to take it.   I have till Sept, so I might just wait. I've been wanting to take the TLC anyway.

Back on-topic:  I'd go with LT Curtis' recommendation.  Those of us who aren't as internet savy as some of you like that we can print off the calendar and share/post it via that ancient technology known as paper.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Pylon

*bump* 

Thanks for the suggestions thus far!  :)