SERE Training for ES credit?

Started by Abby.L, May 09, 2016, 01:23:18 AM

Abby.L

Hello, all. Would anyone know if USAF SERE(The survival part, not the happy camp part)training would be an acceptable credit for some of the SQTR requirements? I've been a long time CAP member, but have only recently been able to look into starting to work on new/refresh old qualifications for when I get to my final duty station in Arizona. I greatly appreciate the help.
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Holding Pattern

Are the trainers considered SET qualified to cover the SQTR tasks in question?

Abby.L

Good question, though I would hazard that they are not specifically CAP trained, nor would even know what CAP is. I guess I was mostly wondering if there's some "Equivalency" clause deep in the CAP ES regs for situations like this.  ::)
Capt Abby R. Lockling
SSgt(Sep) USAF, 41ECS
Charlie flight, NBB 2013

Spam

Here's how I would answer, should you transfer into my unit, or present yourself for signoffs to me:

1. Thank you for serving, and congrats for making it through SERE training.

2. Let's pull your SQTRs for the ratings you're working towards.

3. Sorry, pal, there's not a one to one matrix between USAF SERE training and our tasks, so I'm not authorized to blanket sign you off on anything without actually stepping through the task/condition/standard with you.

4. Now, you tell ME, which tasks you feel you can demonstrate proficiency in, based on your SERE training. If you've learned anything useful out of it, now is the time to demonstrate how that's useful by doing it in accordance with the CAP task, condition, and standard.  We'll go through the tasks you think you're ready to challenge, and I'll evaluate you, and sign you off. Your SERE training may be very helpful in helping you speed through many of the tasks (e.g. "actions on lost", heat and cold injuries, etc.).

V/R
Spam

sardak

^^^What Spam said. There is no equivalency for SERE or any other outside training, nor should there be. If a member has training that he/she believes covers SQTR tasks, then the member should have no problem accepting the challenge of demonstrating or explaining whatever the tasks require, and passing them with little trouble.

I'm on a county SAR team and we have tasks that must be demonstrated to become field qualified. If someone with experience from another organization wants to join, we make them pass all the same tasks that new members have to pass. We find that these prospective transfers fall into one of three categories 1) those that feel offended that we want them to demonstrate skills, and walk away, 2) those that decide that they should do some training with us first, and 3) those who say no problem, and pass the tests.

Qualified members who leave the team and want to come back may have to retake the tests depending on how long they were away from the team. We have annual recurrency requirements for members of the team.

Mike