Aircraft data downlink to ground team?

Started by Holding Pattern, April 27, 2016, 05:13:05 PM

Holding Pattern

Are there circumstances where a high bandwidth downlink to a ground team vehicle might be preferable to the current satcom uplink capabilities we have to send data? I'm kicking around an idea, but I wanted to know if it is even a concern at this point that our current data uplink might not be available.

lordmonar

Unless the aircraft had real time imagery...I can't think of anything that need to go faster then the speed of a text or email.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sarmed1

Are we talking about a direct link?  Years ago as part of the FLWG recon program we talked about the need for GT's doing disaster assessment to be able to uplink data including photos to overhead ac for transmit/deleivery back to the state EOC.  The problem with using commercial comm was obviously a lack of stable infrastructure post disaster.  SAT had the issue of where CAP stands on the chain of user priority preference in same said disasters.

I have been out of that discussion for several years so I am not sure what the current capability would be.  But abstractly its something I like to keep general knowledge of.  If CAP AC could provide real time imagery to a GT in the field it would be like having drone access.  I am not sure if there is enough pay off at the individual GT side for live feed in relation to actual search objectives vs cost of asset use.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

arajca

Keep in mind, any additional radio frequency needs must be coordinated through National and the AF. Our current frequencies are not approved for data transmission.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: arajca on April 27, 2016, 06:25:02 PM
Keep in mind, any additional radio frequency needs must be coordinated through National and the AF. Our current frequencies are not approved for data transmission.

I am aware of the applicable NTIA/FCC concerns and am not intending to implement anything at this point. This is purely a discussion of "would it be useful" before doing anything else.

Eclipse

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 27, 2016, 06:39:30 PMThis is purely a discussion of "would it be useful" before doing anything else.

Useful?  In some circumstances.

Feasible financially or practically?  Probably not.

Necessary?  Not generallly.

As to current SAT Com.  I'd be surprised if many wings still had the phones from SDIS, nor anything else with that capability.
I'm not aware any any wings in my AOR that ave satellite communications beyond something that is member owned or
a local anomaly. 

During "normal" searches, cellular is more then enough, and in DR incidents, the satellites are saturated and not much use anyway. BTDT.

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: sarmed1 on April 27, 2016, 06:10:28 PM
Are we talking about a direct link?  Years ago as part of the FLWG recon program we talked about the need for GT's doing disaster assessment to be able to uplink data including photos to overhead ac for transmit/deleivery back to the state EOC.  The problem with using commercial comm was obviously a lack of stable infrastructure post disaster.  SAT had the issue of where CAP stands on the chain of user priority preference in same said disasters.

I have been out of that discussion for several years so I am not sure what the current capability would be.  But abstractly its something I like to keep general knowledge of.  If CAP AC could provide real time imagery to a GT in the field it would be like having drone access.  I am not sure if there is enough pay off at the individual GT side for live feed in relation to actual search objectives vs cost of asset use.

MK

It wouldn't necessarily be for GTs. EOC delivery was one of the thoughts I was thinking of for precisely the concern you mentioned about CAP sat priority.

PHall

EMT-83

Wouldn't it be nice to have the same real-time capabilities as the average 15 year old? Data, text, images, location...

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on April 27, 2016, 07:26:08 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to have the same real-time capabilities as the average 15 year old? Data, text, images, location...

We already do in 90% of the need.

The average 15 year old doesn't need to send high-resolution photos to a moving aircraft, they are usually sending
low-res selfies with a thumbprint on the lens.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Much of that capability is legally prohibited when airborne.

Spam

Quote from: PHall on April 27, 2016, 07:17:05 PM
CAP does not need Link 16.

I don't think that's being proposed.

What might be in the realm of possibility is GogoBA (business aviation), which is a roughly 35K per aircraft install for 17lbs of gear and antenna, then as low as $39/hour (no monthly minimum) for access. Such an option is within fiscal reality, for a limited number of CAP aircraft; the questions would be the durability of the Gogo system in DR situations.

V/R
Spam

(edit - removed pointless Link 16 engineer joke)

FW

"We" were experimenting with realtime photo downlink/uplink via VHF about 15 years ago. Even with airborne repeaters, it didn't work well enough to persue further study. Any reliance on commercial providers is problematic, especially in DR situations....just my $.02

Spam

I'd tend to agree. I remember when we were doing slow scan video (er, VERY slooooowwwww scan, like 4 frames per minute, as I recall). I remember sending from the right seat, and receiving on the ground, and it was useful, as long as customer expectations were managed.

In the 93 Midwest floods, we used then-conventional VHS cameras at dawn on a target list, and drove the tapes into the EOC - and they were ecstatic. Yet, in those days CAP still had an active packet radio net, and sent emails via the VHS net that would not go down in an earthquake or hurricane.

As I say, I tend to agree... if you search and check out the Gogo system for example, it looks great, but it depends on earth based stations similar to cell towers. In the aftermath of hurricane Andrew, I seem to recall all the cell towers worked well for a few hours, until the massive public surge to check on loved ones drained their batteries quickly. We'd need to do a failure modes and effects analysis of any datalink candidates to bounce their gear against all our CONOPS to ensure it would work against our intended missions and use cases.

V/R
Spam

Spam

Quote from: JeffDG on April 27, 2016, 07:40:09 PM
Much of that capability is legally prohibited when airborne.

Yes with "regular" cell phones (if you view FCC regs as law) but not when you're using an approved in flight service. I texted my wife and kids from my phone via in flight wifi from a commercial jet last FRI as the flight tracker showed we were going to overfly the house. My 11 year old loved it.

Could we implement a low cost, low end version of that for our aircraft? Possibly. Issues are, recurring monthly and per-use cost and NRE to integrate, weight and cg of equipment, training, type certification if C-182s and -172s aren't already approved to fly it, and then you start getting into if any support gear on the earth side will be available in disasters.  Then, if the proposed data link trunks from existing commercial lines, (notwithstanding the issue of broadcast systems going down) how will our Ground Teams pick it up?

The VHF based systems which rely only on our already-existing equipment seem a better bet, if we could get a plug and play app on both the air and ground team end. And, as mentioned, we have some corporate experience with it, with slow scan. How great it would be if the digital revolution caught up with our needs...

Imagine an iPad tool, which plugged into a handheld on the GT side, and into the aircraft radio on the air side. GTLs and MOs could trade pics and text up and down (and perhaps VOIP) at will, even if the infrastructure was dead or slow...

... so, would the "Easy Digi" products being hawked on eBay work? I see packet text at least, for under 20 bucks per unit.

V/R
Spam

Larry Mangum

But we have that capability with GIIEP, oh whoops, sorry must stay within 2500 AGL or lower and be near a major city or freeway. Okay, so maybe we have that capability in a limited fashion.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Spam

I don't think its the same capability we're discussing, but rather one that's strongly centralized in management, and as I understand it, our ROVER systems were specifically designed not to be two way links between CAP assets at all (aircraft/GT/GT/aircraft).

The AFNORTH brief points out their CONOPS, and highlights its limitation on (a) cell phones, (b) satcom, and (c) the internet:

"The GIIEP system has organic 3G cellular communications (primary) and satellite telephone
communications (iridium, secondary). The GIIEP system transmits FMV and/or still images via
the internet to the primary server farm located at the USGS in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and a
redundant server farm in Huntsville, AL. All authorized users who have a username and
password can access FMV and still images from these server farms making the system
completely interoperable throughout the interagency spectrum".

Then, see the CONOPS diagram on Attachment 2... zero tactical linkage between our aircraft and our GTs. Everything has to go through the servers, and all field teams need internet access to get to the products, which cant be assured in a disaster.

To me, the hallmark of their design is that it seems to treat CAP aircraft as "manned UAVs" (provide annotated imagery for adults to use, one way) rather than to provide a two way tactical data link that can enable an effective air/ground teaming. Not like we're looking to send and receive nine line CAS messages, but...

How many CAP Wings are actually using GIIEP regularly, are training with it, and have developed TTPs, per the plan, I wonder? Have any CAP ground teams been equipped with the ROVER ground side units, and how do we plan to use them with dead cell towers after a disaster - are we training on them with sitcom? In GAWG, my unit has usually been one of the ones the most frequently used to test new tech, and we actually lost our issued satcom a couple of years ago, much less got new gear to interface with GIIEP. If the stuff is sitting in Wing lockers somewhere, it is not a deployed, trained, capability.

V/R
Spam

A.Member

I have yet to see a demonstrated need for real time data that aligns with our capabilities.

We are not first responders and we're not plucking people off rooftops with helos.  We need to be realistic about our missions.  We have radios for real time requests.  Any imaging efforts we have are more than adequately fulfilled with the minor delay to imaging (a few hours max).  So, what specifically is the need?
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Larry Mangum

Quote from: Spam on April 28, 2016, 03:37:59 PM
I don't think its the same capability we're discussing, but rather one that's strongly centralized in management, and as I understand it, our ROVER systems were specifically designed not to be two way links between CAP assets at all (aircraft/GT/GT/aircraft).

The AFNORTH brief points out their CONOPS, and highlights its limitation on (a) cell phones, (b) satcom, and (c) the internet:

"The GIIEP system has organic 3G cellular communications (primary) and satellite telephone
communications (iridium, secondary). The GIIEP system transmits FMV and/or still images via
the internet to the primary server farm located at the USGS in Sioux Falls, South Dakota and a
redundant server farm in Huntsville, AL. All authorized users who have a username and
password can access FMV and still images from these server farms making the system
completely interoperable throughout the interagency spectrum".

Then, see the CONOPS diagram on Attachment 2... zero tactical linkage between our aircraft and our GTs. Everything has to go through the servers, and all field teams need internet access to get to the products, which cant be assured in a disaster.

To me, the hallmark of their design is that it seems to treat CAP aircraft as "manned UAVs" (provide annotated imagery for adults to use, one way) rather than to provide a two way tactical data link that can enable an effective air/ground teaming. Not like we're looking to send and receive nine line CAS messages, but...

How many CAP Wings are actually using GIIEP regularly, are training with it, and have developed TTPs, per the plan, I wonder? Have any CAP ground teams been equipped with the ROVER ground side units, and how do we plan to use them with dead cell towers after a disaster - are we training on them with sitcom? In GAWG, my unit has usually been one of the ones the most frequently used to test new tech, and we actually lost our issued satcom a couple of years ago, much less got new gear to interface with GIIEP. If the stuff is sitting in Wing lockers somewhere, it is not a deployed, trained, capability.

V/R
Spam

Actually, GIIEP when working allows mission base to retask the aircrew in flight and through real time IM, when it is working.  Nothing says you cannot put a tough book with a ground team, it is not limited to the aircaraft.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

RogueLeader

How hard is it for you to retask aircrews in-flight?  I've never had any issues with it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340