Duct tape fixes everything

Started by LSThiker, April 20, 2016, 01:47:59 PM

LSThiker

I did a search for this on CAPTalk but did not find anything.  Forgive me if this was already posted.

Pilot uses duct tape to repair airplane after bear attack back in 2010ish:

http://gizmodo.com/5447738/bear-attacks-plane-pilot-fixes-plane-with-duct-tape-pilot-flies-duct-taped-plane-home

Holding Pattern

I am unsurprised to see it is a Piper.

Al Sayre

Mythbusters did a whole show related to this a couple of years ago.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jeders

I saw that story but with more pictures somewhere recently. I thought it was her on CAPTalk, but since you searched and didn't find anything, I guess it was somewhere else.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PHall

Seen on a Bumper Sticker a number of years ago.
"Do your best, Duct Tape the rest."

Spam

But only approved with a Vne of 90 mph indicated, right?

(90 mile an hour tape)

Cheers
Spam

NIN

On C and D-model Chinooks, we used to use duct tape on the rotor heads (no, no, I am not kidding).

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a good photo of it, as Boeing got smart and changed a couple things to remove the need.

The blade grounding wires were sort of an afterthought when they went to Fiberglass Reinforced Blades from the old metal blades, so when they were added, nobody thought hard about the dynamics.  The wires would beat or rub against the pitch varying housing, at the very least taking off the paint but often causing wear to the metal.  We put carefully cut pieces of Army Green duct tape on the rotor heads under the grounding wires to mitigate the wear.  Now it seems they changed the design of the lower half of the grounding wire to stiffen it as a standoff.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Regular Duct Tape was also called "90 MPH Tape" because 90 mph was as fast as you could go before it started removing itself.
We also had 300 MPH Tape which was basically heavy duty Aluminium Foil with some really strong adhesive on it.
Good for 300 MPH. Have limped more then one jet home with the stuff.