ICUT is coming soon! Morning, Night, or Noon!

Started by Theodore, April 12, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Theodore

This is sort of a repost of a past thread, but, ICUT is becoming more mandatory in CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

Fubar

Pretty much every entry-level emergency services qualification requires ICUT, so if you're going to do anything in ES, you'll need ICUT (BCUT and ACUT no longer are accepted as alternatives).

Additionally, if you're using radios to help facilitate your meetings or squadron activities, anyone with a radio in their hand will need to have completed ICUT.

So no, it's not mandatory in relation to being a member of CAP, but it's required for a number of things you may want to do in CAP.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Fubar on April 12, 2016, 03:21:01 AM
Pretty much every entry-level emergency services qualification requires ICUT, so if you're going to do anything in ES, you'll need ICUT (BCUT and ACUT no longer are accepted as alternatives).

Additionally, if you're using radios to help facilitate your meetings or squadron activities, anyone with a radio in their hand will need to have completed ICUT.

So no, it's not mandatory in relation to being a member of CAP, but it's required for a number of things you may want to do in CAP.

How is this different from last week?

SarDragon

Quote from: Theodore on April 12, 2016, 01:47:15 AM
This is sort of a repost of a past thread, but, ICUT is becoming more mandatory in CAP.

Read the dates on threads before you reply or comment.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fubar

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 12, 2016, 03:22:05 AMHow is this different from last week?

I was simply attempting to answer his question. I assure you, I had no intention of offending anyone.

lordmonar

ICUT should be required for GES.  And First Aid Training, air craft handling video, and everything in in MSA.

But yeah....it's kind of old news.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

almostspaatz

Quote from: lordmonar on April 12, 2016, 01:49:10 PM
ICUT should be required for GES.  And First Aid Training, air craft handling video, and everything in in MSA.

I second this...Cadet Snuffy shouldn't be coming out into the field trying to learn GTM3 when he hasn't already learned ICUT and "Basic Communications procedures for ES Operations" (Both are considered Advanced training instead of Prereqs) But that's just my personal opinion.....
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Spaceman3750

Quote from: almostspaatz on April 12, 2016, 09:18:51 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 12, 2016, 01:49:10 PM

I second this...Cadet Snuffy shouldn't be coming out into the field trying to learn GTM3 when he hasn't already learned ICUT and "Basic Communications procedures for ES Operations" (Both are considered Advanced training instead of Prereqs) But that's just my personal opinion.....

I usually don't need more people to operate the one radio. I usually do need more people to search.

Radio communication is the tool by which we stay connected to the rest of the mission, and is not an integral part of the search itself.

Storm Chaser

ICUT is a requirement to use a radio unsupervised. Any GTM3 trainee would be operating the radio under the supervision of the GTL. As long as the member is not using a radio unsupervised, ICUT is not a requirement, hence why it's only a prerequisite for MRO.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 12, 2016, 10:42:59 PM
ICUT is a requirement to use a radio unsupervised. Any GTM3 trainee would be operating the radio under the supervision of the GTL. As long as the member is not using a radio unsupervised, ICUT is not a requirement, hence why it's only a prerequisite for MRO.

In CAPR 100-1, the only provisions I'm seeing for supervised operation is 5.6, and that doesn't apply to CAP members.

Also, given just how easy it is to run people through ICUT, it seems prudent to just get everyone through it and have it done. Then you never have to worry about it.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 12, 2016, 11:00:35 PM

In CAPR 100-1, the only provisions I'm seeing for supervised operation is 5.6, and that doesn't apply to CAP members.

Also, given just how easy it is to run people through ICUT, it seems prudent to just get everyone through it and have it done. Then you never have to worry about it.

Read CAPR 100-1, Para. 5.2.1.

Prudent or not, the regulation is clear on the requirement. You can train everyone in ICUT, but you shouldn't prevent anyone from participating in a mission because they don't have it yet.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 13, 2016, 12:31:31 AM

Prudent or not, the regulation is clear on the requirement. You can train everyone in ICUT, but you shouldn't prevent anyone from participating in a mission because they don't have it yet.

5.2.1. All members with duties requiring unsupervised operation of radios on CAP frequencies must complete ICUT training.

I'm aware of that. But you positioned "supervised operation" of radios as a workaround to ICUT. That doesn't seem to be supported in the regs. A trainee without ICUT would simply verbally give his data to someone with ICUT and a radio to get the message out, not use the radio under the supervision of someone with ICUT.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 13, 2016, 01:59:39 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 13, 2016, 12:31:31 AM

5.2.1. All members with duties requiring unsupervised operation of radios on CAP frequencies must complete ICUT training.

I'm aware of that. But you positioned "supervised operation" of radios as a workaround to ICUT. That doesn't seem to be supported in the regs. A trainee without ICUT would simply verbally give his data to someone with ICUT and a radio to get the message out, not use the radio under the supervision of someone with ICUT.

That's not what I said. What I said was that the reason ICUT is not a prerequisite to participating in a mission or training for most specialty qualifications, as was suggested it should be, is because trainees operate in a supervised status, which takes care of this requirement.

AirAux

It was so much easier when all you had to have was a radio operators permit.  And guess what?  Communications worked back then...

LTC Don

Quote from: AirAux on April 13, 2016, 12:54:25 PM
It was so much easier when all you had to have was a radio operators permit.  And guess what?  Communications worked back then...

Quoted for Truth.
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

lordmonar

Quote from: AirAux on April 13, 2016, 12:54:25 PM
And you only had to fill out a form to get one of those!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2016, 01:24:27 PM

Pictured - CAP member submitting Radio Operator Permit form.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on April 13, 2016, 01:40:14 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on April 13, 2016, 01:24:27 PM

Pictured - CAP member submitting Radio Operator Permit form.

He got the beard waiting for the class.

Luis R. Ramos

He got the gray hair when trying to make sense of the regulations and posting in CAPTalk and reading all different interpretations.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer