Squadrons with access to GA-8s

Started by themainmane, April 07, 2016, 01:39:18 PM

themainmane

How many GA-8s does CAP have? I'm looking to transfer squadrons, and I was wondering which squadrons have access to the Airvan? I'm a Mission Pilot, and would love to have the opportunity to fly one of them.
The master of all that isn't.

Eclipse

Mine does - but only because the wing recently got one and we're in reasonable proximity to Wing HQ.

16 as of 2014.  I believe at one time there were 18 in the fleet.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

GA-8 aircraft were purchased for the Archer program. One aircraft per region plus one for NHQ was authorized.  I don't think any more were bought.  Every CAP pilot should have the opportunity to fly one... It will make you appreciate the Cessna >:D

Eclipse

2008 Report to Congress, Page 3:
http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_4EBF9170D4D9A.pdf

"CAP performs these missions in the air by relying upon 550 general aviation aircraft, the largest fleet of
single-engine aircraft in the nation, 118 of which are equipped with Garmin glass-cockpit technology. In addition,
the fleet's 16 Gippsland Airvans feature airborne real-time cueing hyperspectral imaging reconnaissance
systems (ARCHER). Many also are equipped with digital emergency radio direction finder equipment essential
for search and rescue operations. "

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

There are still 16 GA-8s in the CAP fleet. If one is interested, they can go into WMIRS to find out where they are.

Mike

A.Member

Quote from: FW on April 07, 2016, 02:19:29 PM
Every CAP pilot should have the opportunity to fly one... It will make you appreciate the Cessna >:D
Strong concur!  The GA-8 pretty much sucks; performance is very lackluster.  We should sell them.  The 182 is significantly better in almost every way.  The only thing the GA-8 can do is haul a couple more people, but since we're not in the transport business that doesn't much matter.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

nomiddlemas

We might as well invest in a C-17...

Eclipse

They can be very effective when training Aircrew or running O-rides.

2 more GIBs or 2 more 99's per sortie if the W&B can be worked.

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2016, 03:20:00 PM
The GA-8 is terrible for o-rides unless your goal is to just pile a few kids in the back.  That's a sucky experience.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Eclipse

Quote from: A.Member on April 07, 2016, 03:43:02 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2016, 03:20:00 PM
The GA-8 is terrible for o-rides unless your goal is to just pile a few kids in the back.  That's a sucky experience.

?

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

It shouldn't matter what squadron the plane is assigned to - planes are managed by wing and should be available to any appropriately rated CAP pilot. If you're not rated, work with the wing it's assigned to in order to work out a way to get rated. Since there's an objective usage requirement of 200 hours per year, wings should be heavily invested in getting their planes up as much as possible and not playing the GOB game.

If you are near Illinois and would like to fly one, and are willing to self-fund the training time, let me know and I will try to put you in touch with the right people.

themainmane

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 07, 2016, 04:16:14 PM
It shouldn't matter what squadron the plane is assigned to - planes are managed by wing and should be available to any appropriately rated CAP pilot. If you're not rated, work with the wing it's assigned to in order to work out a way to get rated. Since there's an objective usage requirement of 200 hours per year, wings should be heavily invested in getting their planes up as much as possible and not playing the GOB game.

If you are near Illinois and would like to fly one, and are willing to self-fund the training time, let me know and I will try to put you in touch with the right people.

I come down (up?  ???) to the Chicago area frequently if you're near there. I would love to get rated on the GA-8, I just haven't had much of an opportunity to get decent stick time in one.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: themainmane on April 07, 2016, 04:32:55 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on April 07, 2016, 04:16:14 PM

I come down (up?  ???) to the Chicago area frequently if you're near there. I would love to get rated on the GA-8, I just haven't had much of an opportunity to get decent stick time in one.

We have a GA-8 based in DuPage, a 'burb. PM me your info and I can make introductions. No promises but if you're in the area and funding your flying, and there's an instructor available, someone should be willing to lend you a hand.

NIN

Quote from: FW on April 07, 2016, 02:19:29 PM
GA-8 aircraft were purchased for the Archer program. One aircraft per region plus one for NHQ was authorized.  I don't think any more were bought.  Every CAP pilot should have the opportunity to fly one... It will make you appreciate the Cessna >:D

Thats funny, cuz at the FAA Aviation Safety Expo this past weekend, one of our pilots was expounding on how its a great plane to fly and that he always gets great landings and he really likes flying it when there is a "customer flight" so he can give them a nice smooth ride and good landings.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

FW

Darin, they are a breeze to fly, and handle great, however the seats will make any Chiropractor smile if you fly longer than an hour.  The avionics are also not up to Cessna Standards as well; no autopilot, and the GNS-80 is not that user friendly.  YMMV though.  It definitely makes the testosterone level go up when you take control of one...

A.Member

Quote from: NIN on April 07, 2016, 05:58:48 PM
Thats funny, cuz at the FAA Aviation Safety Expo this past weekend, one of our pilots was expounding on how its a great plane to fly and that he always gets great landings and he really likes flying it when there is a "customer flight" so he can give them a nice smooth ride and good landings.
And he can't do that in a 182?!!! ???   

BTW, what "customer" rides would we be talking about exactly?

Like FW, says, the seats are a pilot's nightmare...or a chiropractor's dream.  You might as well just be sitting on the chair frame.  As for o-flights, access to a glass cockpit is much more engaging to aspiring pilots.  Hourly rate on the Cessna's is much better.  There are no real compelling arguments for a GA-8.

Spaceman3750

Quote from: A.Member on April 07, 2016, 08:15:12 PM
BTW, what "customer" rides would we be talking about exactly?

Counter drug, flights for the ANG (around here we do GIIEP training with them annually and we fly), teacher orientation flights, Angel Flight, disaster assessment with an agency observer, etc.

themainmane

How many guys here have been on counter drug flights? It's not really available in my area, but what does it entail? How much agency control is there?

Eclipse

Agreed, the seats are terrible - I was frankly a little shocked the first time I saw them.  The whole interior looks
a lot more mil-spec then a 182, but with ~1000 lbs more take off weight, there are more options for the typical
CAP-scaled aircrew to fly, or more of them, or not having to make a decision between a second pen and a bottle of
water vs. enough fuel for the mission.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: themainmane on April 07, 2016, 08:46:43 PM
How many guys here have been on counter drug flights? It's not really available in my area, but what does it entail? How much agency control is there?

The activity varies by wing.  Beyond that, while it's not a secret, those discussions are best left for private conversations.

"That Others May Zoom"