Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2017, 01:55:46 AM
Home Help Login Register
News:

CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aerospace Education  |  Topic: In case you've ever wondered how radial engines work.
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: In case you've ever wondered how radial engines work.  (Read 535 times)
RogueLeader
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

Unit: Of measure

« on: April 02, 2016, 09:10:44 AM »

Here is a really cool video that explains how a radial engine works. It is a highly detailed wood replica. All I can say is wow.

linky
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:16:34 AM by RogueLeader » Logged
<redacted>

GRW 3340
docsteve
Recruit

Steve's Musings on Life
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:32:31 AM »

Very cool.  These engine were the height of piston super-power. 

When I was first breaking into aviation there were still a lot of DC-3/4/6s flying, I was flying a Twin Beach, the USCG still had the Albatross:  the sonds around the airport were different, very distinctive.

Legend has it that the Connies, the DC-7s, and ultimately the Albatrosses couldn't fly any more because the 115/145 avgas was not made any longer, and take-offs at less than rated power were either not authorized (USCG) or impracticable given the reduction in gross.

You could always tell a round-engine crew by the oil spots on their shirts.  Sometimes just cranking the engines through would not clear the bottom cylinders and you had to pull the plugs. 

Great memories.
Steve Sconfienza, Ph.D.
former captain
PHall
Salty & Seasoned Contributor

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:28:06 PM »

The one thing to remember about radials. If they're not leaking oil, the oil tank is empty.
Pages: [1] Print 
CAP Talk  |  Operations  |  Aerospace Education  |  Topic: In case you've ever wondered how radial engines work.