ABU approval is in!!!!

Started by Angus, April 01, 2016, 03:44:08 PM

RogueLeader

They (vanguard) have been making the navy blue grade insignia for a while now for the non-nomex blue flight suit, and its easy to get the new nametapes off of any one of the nametape providers.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

calebtornado12

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks!
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
Boise Composite Flight Commander
RMR-ID-073
Off we go, into the 'Wild Blue Yonder'...

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 22, 2016, 09:46:42 PM
They (vanguard) have been making the navy blue grade insignia for a while now for the non-nomex blue flight suit, and its easy to get the new nametapes off of any one of the nametape providers.

I'm wondering if the so-called 'silver' thread for the soon-to-be (ain't holding my breath) dark blue tapes is actually a bright white.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 22, 2016, 11:10:01 PM

I'm wondering if the so-called 'silver' thread for the soon-to-be (ain't holding my breath) dark blue tapes is actually a bright white.

No, it's non-metallic silver. Same as they use on cloth flight suit name tags for Air Force Wings.

kwe1009

Quote from: calebtornado12 on April 22, 2016, 09:41:35 PM
Speaking of not being able to wear a uniform until the reg has been posted/released, one of the Senior Members (technically I'm supposed to call them officers now) wanted to make his uniform of the new ABU for CAP early, but not wear it until the reg is officially sent out and ready to go. The part I want to know is where they got the new name plates and rank tags. I know they haven't put them on Vanguard yet, but he had both the new CAP and Last name ones that are dark blue with silver (last name was customized to his last name). Does anyone know where people have been getting these? Just curious, I'm not planning on getting some, but just curious.   

Is this person wearing that uniform?  If so, he is out of regs.  While it is very likely that if/when the Air Force approves ABUs for CAP that it will be with the name tag color scheme that was requested, it is not guaranteed.  The Air Force could say we have to wear red name taps with orange lettering (highly unlikely but still possible).  Everyone should just put on the pause button and wait until official word comes out.  It will not be a secret passed from one person to another.  It will be an ICL to CAPR 39-1 that will be published online and advertised on eServices and likely through mass email.  Until the ICL is published, there is no change to uniforms.

NIN

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 22, 2016, 11:10:01 PM

Yeah, its more of a "grey-white" silver, not "metallic thread" silver.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

calebtornado12

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 23, 2016, 01:11:54 PM
Quote from: calebtornado12 on April 22, 2016, 09:41:35 PM
Speaking of not being able to wear a uniform until the reg has been posted/released, one of the Senior Members (technically I'm supposed to call them officers now) wanted to make his uniform of the new ABU for CAP early, but not wear it until the reg is officially sent out and ready to go. The part I want to know is where they got the new name plates and rank tags. I know they haven't put them on Vanguard yet, but he had both the new CAP and Last name ones that are dark blue with silver (last name was customized to his last name). Does anyone know where people have been getting these? Just curious, I'm not planning on getting some, but just curious.   

Is this person wearing that uniform?  If so, he is out of regs.  While it is very likely that if/when the Air Force approves ABUs for CAP that it will be with the name tag color scheme that was requested, it is not guaranteed.  The Air Force could say we have to wear red name taps with orange lettering (highly unlikely but still possible).  Everyone should just put on the pause button and wait until official word comes out.  It will not be a secret passed from one person to another.  It will be an ICL to CAPR 39-1 that will be published online and advertised on eServices and likely through mass email.  Until the ICL is published, there is no change to uniforms.

No, he just made the uniform, he in not wearing it.
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

lordmonar

Name tapes dot com will make them for you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Angus

Nothing has been finalized yet so the name tape and branch tape are just conjecture at this point.  We have a good idea on how they will be though. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

calebtornado12

Quote from: Angus on April 23, 2016, 07:41:35 PM
Nothing has been finalized yet so the name tape and branch tape are just conjecture at this point.  We have a good idea on how they will be though.
I thought the AF has already approved it? (Look at other threads).
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

Angus

The AF has approved it but not told us HOW to wear it. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

calebtornado12

C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

MSG Mac

Hopefully they'll announce it at the national Conference and don't wait for the rewrite of  39-1
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

calebtornado12

What's the date of this year's conference?
C/2nd Lt. Caleb Bryant
RMR-ID-073

Гугл переводчик

I'm the person that has those ABUs, and no, I dare not wear them!  ;D

We got a box of ABU's and a couple other SM's were curious of what the Unofficial/Rumored ABU's with Navy/Silver lettering would look like. Ordered the grade insignia off of Vanguard, and the name-tapes off eBay. The uniform itself sits at the back of the staff room, and will remain there until such a time its needed.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

tkelley004

Quote from: Trenzalorian on April 07, 2016, 11:57:18 PM
Personally, I'm excited about these new changes. However, they do present significant problems.

2. If units don't pay for them, how will cadets pay? A good set of ABUs will set you back about $300.

/quote

Not $300, as a retiree I checked AFFES on line just now....rounded to the nearest dollar.... and free (slow) shipping as these are "issue" quality

Male shirt $35.00 Male Pants $42.00 Female Shirt $33.00 Pants $40.00 ABU Cap $6.00 Tan Rigger Belt $4.00  Tan T-Shirts, 3 pack $21.50 Now if close to a base, back to the MCSS or non-military connected can do mail order (yes, it is painful, but the details are in 39-1 to use the service) but a quick check of commercial web pages have the shirt and pants going for 60 each.

Let hope the Encampment scholarship program is in effect for next year, new cadets get the Air Force to buy them a set of ABUs for Encampment...
Tim Kelley, Lt Col, CAP
Bellingham Composite Squadron
Retired USAF SMSgt

grunt82abn

This was just posted on Facebook from NHQ.  :clap:

4 May 2016

1. I am pleased to announce that the Air Force has approved Civil Air Patrol's request to transition to the Airman Battle Uniform. As the official auxiliary of the Air Force CAP has a long history of wearing a USAF style uniform and our transition to the ABU once again brings us in line with our parent service.
2. As a result of negotiations with the Army & Air Force Exchange Services (AAFES), CAP has also been approved to receive a significant number of excess ABUs. This will allow many CAP members to receive the basic ABU shirt and pants at no cost. We are currently working with AAFES to take possession of the excess uniforms and each Wing is establishing a distribution plan. We expect these uniforms to be available to members in the field this summer.
3. The phase in period for wear of the ABU will begin on 15 June 2016. Members will wear the ABU with the dark blue tapes and insignia as outlined in the attached wear instructions. Vanguard will begin accepting orders for the new devices on 15 June 2016. The Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) may continue to be worn until the mandatory phase out date of 15 June 2021. CAP will also begin to transition to dark blue tapes on the Corporate field uniform and BDUs with a mandatory wear date of 15 June 2021. Members are not required to change the tapes on existing uniforms until the mandatory wear date; however, all devices on the uniform must match. The attached wear instructions will constitute regulatory guidance on the wear of the ABU until a revision to CAP Manual 39-1 is released.
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

NIN

Quote from: tkelley004 on May 05, 2016, 07:37:00 PM
Personally, I'm excited about these new changes. However, they do present significant problems.

2. If units don't pay for them, how will cadets pay? A good set of ABUs will set you back about $300.

Not $300, as a retiree I checked AFFES on line just now....rounded to the nearest dollar.... and free (slow) shipping as these are "issue" quality

Male shirt $35.00 Male Pants $42.00 Female Shirt $33.00 Pants $40.00 ABU Cap $6.00 Tan Rigger Belt $4.00  Tan T-Shirts, 3 pack $21.50 Now if close to a base, back to the MCSS or non-military connected can do mail order (yes, it is painful, but the details are in 39-1 to use the service) but a quick check of commercial web pages have the shirt and pants going for 60 each.

Let hope the Encampment scholarship program is in effect for next year, new cadets get the Air Force to buy them a set of ABUs for Encampment...

I have two pair of ABU pants and an ABU shirt, and an ABU cap. I'm in to the whole thing for about $35 or $40 including shipping.

I hung on to all my tan t-shirts from the Army Cadets days. w00t!  And my tan rigger belt.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: NIN on May 05, 2016, 08:57:39 PM
Quote from: tkelley004 on May 05, 2016, 07:37:00 PM

I have two pair of ABU pants and an ABU shirt, and an ABU cap. I'm in to the whole thing for about $35 or $40 including shipping.

I hung on to all my tan t-shirts from the Army Cadets days. w00t!  And my tan rigger belt.

I got some of my ABU pieces from eBay on the cheap, especially the parka. I started watching eBay a few months ago when the initial announcement was made that ABUs were pending approval. Yeah, it was a gamble, but I used the lead time to score some sweet deals.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager