ABU approval is in!!!!

Started by Angus, April 01, 2016, 03:44:08 PM

Angus

April Fools!
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Garibaldi

You know....I was wondering how long it would be before someone did this. I even checked past threads to see if someone would prank us.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

-_adrian_-

I'm so sad. I just got my hopes up

Nascar Jack

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 01, 2016, 04:00:51 PM
You know....I was wondering how long it would be before someone did this. I even checked past threads to see if someone would prank us.

I did a post around 2300 Central last night in a topic of it being disapproved...

Garibaldi

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 01, 2016, 04:14:55 PM
Quote from: Garibaldi on April 01, 2016, 04:00:51 PM

I did a post around 2300 Central last night in a topic of it being disapproved...

I think I saw that in passing.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Angus

I was surprised no one had posted anything either so I figured I'd best do it before someone else.  If I had a good Photoshop I would have posted pictures of it being used for us, just with changed colors from what we've submitted to the AF.  Figure I would have said they sent it back approved with the color changes as being necessary to keep us looking different enough from them.  Bright neon colors would have been overly used in that idea.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Майор Хаткевич

I was actually hoping the approval would come today.

People wouldn't know what to make of it.

Garibaldi

I just sent the following to my cadet commander.

Cadets,

It is with great pleasure that I announce that CAP NHQ has officially given permission for us to transition to the ABU. There are a few conditions, however.

1. All cadets aged 15-20 MUST undergo mandatory drug testing. We will be collecting urine, blood, hair and cheek swab samples to ensure the highest level possible of mission readiness.
2. All cadets over age 17 will automatically be enlisted in the Air Force. Encampment will be replaced by BMT at Lackland, AFB starting this summer. This will supercede ALL special activities. This move, coupled with CAP becoming part of the Total Force will ensure that we are indeed a part of the Total Force in perpetuity.
3. There will be a different set of insignia by gender. Female cadets will wear pink and yellow ABU-patterned name and CAP tapes. Male cadets will wear the traditional sky blue and white.
4. All CAP cadets will meet height and weight standards set forth by CAP-USAF. This means that if a cadet does not meet the minimum height for his/her age, they will be given growth hormones until such time as they meet the standards. If a cadet is too tall for their age, he or she will be given cigarettes at the rate of 4 packs a day to stunt their growth. Again, part of the move to the Total Force means we will be held to the same standards as our regular Air Force counterparts.
5. This also means that CAP will be paid for their time at the rate of one dollar per hour of CAP time served. We will be issuing time cards to track our time. Pay days will be the 31st of every month.
6. There will be a uniform allowance for purchase of a complete ABU, including boots. Boots will be sage green and will come from one manufacturer, Rothco, to ensure uniformity.

If there are any questions, please direct them to Lt. Col. Seth Yew at NHQ, CAP-USAF.

Angus

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 01, 2016, 05:49:28 PM

Cadets,

It is with great pleasure that I announce that CAP NHQ has officially given permission for us to transition to the ABU. There are a few conditions, however.

1. All cadets aged 15-20 MUST undergo mandatory drug testing. We will be collecting urine, blood, hair and cheek swab samples to ensure the highest level possible of mission readiness.
2. All cadets over age 17 will automatically be enlisted in the Air Force. Encampment will be replaced by BMT at Lackland, AFB starting this summer. This will supercede ALL special activities. This move, coupled with CAP becoming part of the Total Force will ensure that we are indeed a part of the Total Force in perpetuity.
3. There will be a different set of insignia by gender. Female cadets will wear pink and yellow ABU-patterned name and CAP tapes. Male cadets will wear the traditional sky blue and white.
4. All CAP cadets will meet height and weight standards set forth by CAP-USAF. This means that if a cadet does not meet the minimum height for his/her age, they will be given growth hormones until such time as they meet the standards. If a cadet is too tall for their age, he or she will be given cigarettes at the rate of 4 packs a day to stunt their growth. Again, part of the move to the Total Force means we will be held to the same standards as our regular Air Force counterparts.
5. This also means that CAP will be paid for their time at the rate of one dollar per hour of CAP time served. We will be issuing time cards to track our time. Pay days will be the 31st of every month.
6. There will be a uniform allowance for purchase of a complete ABU, including boots. Boots will be sage green and will come from one manufacturer, Rothco, to ensure uniformity.

If there are any questions, please direct them to Lt. Col. Seth Yew at NHQ, CAP-USAF.

:clap:
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Майор Хаткевич

Cadets,

Love it. Here's hoping there's no IG complaint against you after this!

Garibaldi

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 01, 2016, 05:56:48 PM

Cadets,

I forgot that I was actually going to announce something similar at our meeting this week. I'm a bad, bad man.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 01, 2016, 06:20:10 PM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on April 01, 2016, 05:56:48 PM

Cadets,

I forgot that I was actually going to announce something similar at our meeting this week. I'm a bad, bad man.

Hey, stranger things have happened in terms of IG complaints. BTDT, proud to have the letter framed.

Holding Pattern

Just don't use the google mic drop feature...

Luis R. Ramos

Angus-

Wasn't taking us enough? You had to gloat???

???

Nicely done!

:clap:
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Angus

Hey I'm from the Hub of the Universe, we have egos the size of the all out doors.  So gotta through down a little gloat, especially cause no one else had actually posted an approval.  Granted we did have a premature denial from Capt Hatkevich.
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

vento

Cadets,

Well played! Paying every 31st of the month effectively cuts the cost in half.  ;D

Raikkonen

You guys joke about this... and I did too, but then I got this email. 

Fellow members of the Civil Air Patrol:

The idea of Civil Air Patrol transitioning their Air Force style utility uniform from the BDU to the ABU, has been a topic of discussion in both official and unofficial circles for some time.

Previously, the decision was made to not pursue the ABU for CAP because the Air Force was considering phasing out the ABU. Recently, we were informed that the Air Force has no intention of phasing out the ABU in the near future. At that time, the decision was made to examine the possibility of CAP transitioning to the ABU, due to the increase in issues with BDU availability in some parts of the country. The National Uniform Committee was tasked with examining the issue.

It's important to remember that the Air Force Instruction governing our wear of the Air Force Uniform requires that our uniforms be easily distinguishable from Air Force Uniforms at a distance and at low light. This is accomplished through the use of distinctive insignia, name tapes, etc.

The National Uniform Committee, in coordination with CAP-USAF recommended that CAP ask for Air Force approval to wear the ABU with the following distinguishing modifications:

1.  Name and CAP tapes, aviation and specialty badges would be on a Navy Blue background with silver thread. These colors would be the same as currently in use on the NCO stripes. The NUC examined the possibility of using the ABU tapes. Because our adult members wear the same grade insignia as Air Force Officers, use of the ABU tapes was not considered to be distinguishable in accordance to the AFI. AFJROTC and AFROTC wear the ABU tapes, but they do not wear officer grade insignia. Wing, Unit, and Activity patches would be optional under the proposal.

2.  Black boots. There were many factors in our recommendation to retain the black boots. The first was cost to the membership. Many members already own black boots. Also, black boots are still available at reasonable prices commercially. The green boots cost over $100. Another consideration was asking members to buy a second pair of boots if they chose to wear other uniform combinations. The corporate (blue) uniform has black boots, as do the flight duty uniforms.  The final reason was the black boots provide a further distinguishing factor to the uniform.

Our final recommendation was to phase out the ultramarine blue tapes and insignia, and convert to the navy blue and silver tapes. These tapes better match the corporate BDU's and will eliminate the confusion caused by having two different color tapes.

As you have undoubtedly heard by now, our National Commander, Maj Gen Joseph Vazquez, sought the opinion of the CAP Command Council regarding the proposed changes. The Command Council overwhelmingly supported the change to the ABU. The proposal now goes to the Air Force for approval. As a reminder, the ABU Uniform for CAP is NOT approved yet.

The Command Council also recommended phasing out the ultramarine tapes in favor of the navy blue tapes on the Corporate BDU.

I hope this has answered your questions about how we arrived at our recommendations. If you have any further questions, I encourage you to address them with your chain of command. They have the most up to date information. Thank you.

Colonel Richard J. Greenwood, CAP
Chair, National Uniform Committee

To me, this is a bunch of idiotic b.s.   We are just fine in our BDUs. 

The latest edition of Volunteer Magazine has a picture of bunch of CAP pilots getting an award and two of them were wearing AF boots...  Guess they do what they want.

Eclipse

You didn't just get that, right?  It's over a month old and was discussed here.

"That Others May Zoom"