A question about one of the Armstrong essay prompts

Started by Captain Dawson, February 22, 2016, 10:11:11 PM

Captain Dawson

Hello chaps, this is Captain Dawson, and I am new to CAP Talk. Ironically, I am a Chief Master Sergeant, I just reused my screen name from Special Aircraft Service so I could remember the password easier!

I have a question for anyone who knows about the Neil Armstrong Achievement essay. I am about to write my essay, and I will most likely use the first prompt. The prompt is: "Explain why America's aerospace power is vital to commerce, science or national security." Is the essay supposed to be about ONE of the three subjects: Commerce, Science, or National Security, or all THREE of them? The "or" makes the subjects sound like different prompts. I have seen some confusion about this in another thread about this essay.

Any knowledge on this would be appreciated!

lordmonar

Best to pose that question to the person who is going to grade your essay.

What I or anyone here think is irrelevant if your Cadet Programs Officer thinks differently.

For the record......I think it means OR....pick one of the three sub categories.

Your Cadet Programs Officer may see it differently. 

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Spam

Yes, just pick one, and cut the crap about pretending to be SAS.

Also, if you're a cadet, you're a C/CMSGT, not a CMSGT. Live it, love it (grin).

V/R
Spam

Гугл переводчик

Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

The Infamous Meerkat

Quote from: Spam on February 23, 2016, 02:07:35 AM

Also, if you're a cadet, you're a C/CMSGT, not a CMSGT. Live it, love it (grin).

V/R
Spam

For the record, a quick google search revealed that he is not trying to imitate an SAS member, it's a modding community for a video game. Please don't be too quick to jump on cadets just because you don't understand the context of what they're saying...

Also, I don't think anyone was confused about whether he was a cadet or not, given his question. Pointing it out was you taking the chance to state how superior your knowledge is, and the tone your post took was disrespectful. Taking the time to put together a post that went out of its way to not answer the question asked by the cadet is cadet bashing, plain and simple.

To Chief Dawson: I would talk to your CDC and ask him if he would like you to write about one of the three, or about all of them at the same time. He'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to satisfy the requirement.
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Captain Dawson

Ok.... So thank you for your input. Thank you Mr. Meercat, yes I am SAS, which I've been using for people to assist me in designing an exhibit for a museum where I work as a volunteer. It's not just a video game, :) it's also for flight simulation and recreating famous moments in history. Which includes Civil Air Patrol I might add. I should have mentioned that before. I'm not like one of those smart people who can remember every password for every website. That's why I used the same name and password, and specified my actual rank, to avoid confusion. Not sure why that's a problem... :) It's all good.

Can't get quotes to work, but Lordmonar alluded that what the first prompt means is up to the person grading my essay. That is definitely true, but the reason I asked here was because I know my commander enough to know he won't know any more about it than I do, no offense to him, but the prompt is confusing at best.

Maybe this is not worth asking on this site. (no offense) It took me 15 minutes to get the verification to work on my last post. :( I am juggling high school, college prep, CAP, and my volunteer position at the museum. I'm doing good if I even have time to write my Armstrong essay. :/

Thank you to the people who gave information! -_______Dawson

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on February 22, 2016, 10:18:48 PM
Best to pose that question to the person who is going to grade your essay.

What I or anyone here think is irrelevant if your Cadet Programs Officer thinks differently.

For the record......I think it means OR....pick one of the three sub categories.

Your Cadet Programs Officer may see it differently.

They may see it differently, but they will be wrong. I've had cadets turn in a paper on all three. I've even let them do their grammar revisions and logic failure corrections multiple times, until I ask them to read the prompt.

If someone submits a 500 word essay on all three, there is absolutely no substance. The prompt has a list, with an "or", not " and".

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Captain Dawson

Okay, Thank you Capt Hatkevich, THAT makes sense. So I guess there are technically 5 prompts:

•Explain why America's aerospace power is vital to commerce.
•Explain why America's aerospace power is vital to science.
•Explain why America's aerospace power is vital to national security.
•Describe leadership mistakes you have made and explain what you learned from them.
•Explain the difference between followership and leadership.

I could probably never actually fit aerospace "commerce, science, and national security" in a concise essay of only 500 words.

Captain Dawson

After thinking a little too much about it, I have decided to just ask one of our squadron's senior members. :) That way I don't have spend all my valuable time writing these messages and trying to figure out the verifications. Seriously, like Lordmonar and Meercat said, I need to know what the person grading my essay thinks about it. Thanks for everyone's input, (for the most part) and in case anyone else would like to bash me or my SAS account, I won't be using CAP Talk any more.

Thank you for standing up for me Mr. Meercat!

Respectfully, -_______Dawson

Spam

Quote from: The Infamous Meerkat on February 23, 2016, 05:02:40 AM
Quote from: Spam on February 23, 2016, 02:07:35 AM

V/R
Spam

For the record, a quick google search revealed that he is not trying to imitate an SAS member, it's a modding community for a video game. Please don't be too quick to jump on cadets just because you don't understand the context of what they're saying...

Also, I don't think anyone was confused about whether he was a cadet or not, given his question. Pointing it out was you taking the chance to state how superior your knowledge is, and the tone your post took was disrespectful. Taking the time to put together a post that went out of its way to not answer the question asked by the cadet is cadet bashing, plain and simple.

To Chief Dawson: I would talk to your CDC and ask him if he would like you to write about one of the three, or about all of them at the same time. He'll be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to satisfy the requirement.

"For the record", from my perspective when I see a new face introducing himself as a Captain by screen name, affecting British slang ("chaps") and referring to prior affiliation with a British special warfare unit, I don't see it as my duty to vet their background and status or to give a care about some obscure, niche usage of the well known term "SAS". I respect the cadet for his accomplishments so far, but not for playing games with names and implying affiliations he doesn't have. (Hey, didn't we just have a stolen valor thread?).

Also "for the record", if you read my reply, the very first thing I did was answer the question, concurring with Lordmonar who was (as usual) correct.

If you're still reading this, and don't have a weak ego, stick around Cadet Dawson. I enjoin you to participate in the challenge up...

V/R
Spam

THRAWN

OP did not use the term SAS. He used Special Aircraft Service. For the record, the SAS is the Special Air Service. If you are going to be indignant at least be correct.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023