Main Menu

Combat Boots

Started by captrncap, May 14, 2007, 03:19:42 AM

captrncap

I need to buy a new pair of combat boots and am looking for some recommendations. Not looking to restrict the recommendations just something that is the best for walking in....

Thanks. ???

JC004

I have Infantry Combat Boots (the Gore-Tex lined issue boot).  I like them.  I also wore Corcoran Machs for years, and I like them a lot.  I have a size 11, new in box for sale over at ColganMart if they fit.   >:D

bosshawk

Would suggest the Tankers Boots on US Cavalry.Com.  These things are glove soft and very comfortable.  Of course, Corcorans are always a good bet: have had them since the late 50s.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Becks

I find that Altama ripple sole boots are nice if youre going to be on your feet for a long time.  They have alot of sole and that adds to better padding.  I also love my Bates combat boots...like wearing tennis shoes.

BBATW

SarDragon

I have a pair of the middle selection here that I wear on my motorcycle, and when I'm working the flightline. The ones I have are the 6" Cordura. The other two boots are 8" in either Cordura or leather.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAP428

I wear Altamas that are quite comfortable.

jimmydeanno

I wear "marauders."  They're the ones with the solid toe and heel and the rest is canvas.  They are very breathable, can shine them quick, and they're really comfortable.  They've been through 9 encampments and still wear well.  Not a single ding or nick on the leather...

EDIT: These...http://www.tacboots.com/p-COV17146.html however, I remember them being significantly cheaper at AAFES...$89.00

You can get them with a leather vamp too: http://www.vtarmynavy.com/corcoran-mens-10-leather-and-cordura-marauder-with-leather-vamp.htm
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Al Sayre

I've been quite happy with the issue boots I picked up on Sportsmans Guide, just added a set of Gel Insoles and I can wear them all day in comfort.  Sportsman Guide also has some pretty good deals on Rocky's, Altima's and other brands
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

LtCol White

Whatever you get, don't cheap out on them. You need to get a pair that are comfortable and will provide you with the support you need. Foot comfort can make or break you performance big time. Trust me, as a former infantry officer, you see the effects it can have on folks with poor quality or ill fitted boots.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

O-Rex

I said it once, I'll say it again:

Ebay!

Keep in mind that black boots will altogether disappear from the U.S. armed forces (and I dearsay that CAP will be using them well into the next decade.)  I find more becoming available at cheaper prices.

Last fall I got two pair of new-in-the-box Bellevilles on ebay (separate bids:) one steel-toe for flightline ops , and one pair of ICB's for the field. 

I paid about $55 for the both of them (MSRP is about $120 a pair.) Best deal I ever got on ebay.

For flying, you can't beat a pair of Addisons: either Navy (steel toe) or USAF speed-lace versions.  Again, you can find them on ebay, although USAF versions, particularly the insulated lace-in zipper versions are harder to find.

If you're not in a real big hurry (losing a bid after 5 days and starting all over again is not for the impatient) and can hold out for the right bargain, ebay's the way to go, for boots or whatever.

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: O-Rex on May 14, 2007, 08:31:45 PM
I said it once, I'll say it again:

Ebay!

Keep in mind that black boots will altogether disappear from the U.S. armed forces (and I dearsay that CAP will be using them well into the next decade.)  I find more becoming available at cheaper prices.
[....]
If you're not in a real big hurry (losing a bid after 5 days and starting all over again is not for the impatient) and can hold out for the right bargain, ebay's the way to go, for boots or whatever.

Yep, I'm probably going to need to wear them with my navy blue flight suit for a while.. 

I got a brand new, Nomex, navy blue flight suit via ebay last week for $59 total. I felt like it was a good deal.  Anyone know "ga7driver" outtta New York?  I kept wondering if was was buying from a CAP member/former member, or bidding against them, for that matter.  I guess if we were to find ourselves in the same auction for something, we could arrange not to trample each other into the auction dirt, as it were....  ;D

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Becks

The thing to remember, and that I tell everyone who asks....boots are one of the things you get what you pay for.   

BBATW

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: Becks on May 15, 2007, 02:44:48 AM
boots are one of the things you get what you pay for.   

BINGO!! And if/when your feet hurt, you hurt all over, and you're no good to anyone. While there are places to save a few pennies, footwear certainly isn't one of them..
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

mikeylikey

While we are on boots........

Anyone ever get those ripple sole or "tiger sole" add-ons for their boots.  Taking the regular sole off and replacing it?  I had a bunch of privates think it would be cool and high-speed to send away for them and have the Korean dry-cleaners put them on for them.  WOW.....they messed their feet up real bad the first time we walked any distance greater than a mile. 

Bottom line........don't buy them.  They are a waste of money, and I don't think they even help out with traction all that well.
What's up monkeys?

Becks

I dont know about the addons...but normal ripple-sole are comfortable.

BBATW

Matt

I have to go with the standard run-of-the-mill Matterhorns.  Have had them for 2 years, and have had no complaints as yet.  http://www.vanderbilts.com/product_detail.aspx?ID=477

You can find them cheaper elsewhere, Vanderbilts is just easy to naviguess.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>