Mess dress uniform

Started by MRO4LIFE, January 31, 2016, 11:31:33 PM

Holding Pattern

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 29, 2016, 07:59:31 PM
In 2006, I got into the Army Cadets, and had to get all my stuff pretty much immediately *bam* holy smokes is this Army stuff is expensive.  Class As, Dress Blues (before ASU was a thing), ACUs, boots, berets, rigger belts, goretex, blah, blah, blah.  The expectation level in that organization was *considerably* different there in terms of how you equip yourself: You're an officer, officers are expected to have these uniforms.  Make it happen.

Is the Army Cadets organization even still around?

Jack

According to wiki it has reorganized under a new name.

NIN

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on February 29, 2016, 05:54:30 PM
So if we put together a fund to get you into BDUs, that will guarantee a speedy conversion to ABUs? :D

I tried that. The Galactic Karma see straight thru such trickery.   I got BDUs and set them up in the fall of 2013, and you see how much closer we are to ABUs.... :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: ColonelJack on February 29, 2016, 07:59:31 PM
Is the Army Cadets organization even still around?

Surprisingly, yes.  Considering all the crazy stuff thats gone on, its amazing.  Its like the Mark Watney of cadet programs.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Actually, service members get an annual clothing maintenance allowance, which is, in theory, enough to replace worn out items at the end of their rated service life. We all know that doesn't really work, because most people have more than the minimum quantity of uniform items, and they generally wear out, or become otherwise unserviceable, faster than that rated service life.

There is a little opportunity for positive cash flow, though, when an item isn't replaced at the end of its rated service life. A good example was my peacoat, the single most expensive item in my seabag. The current price is $145.75, with a 10 year life. Mine lasted all 20 years I was in, so (using today's figures) that $14.58 a year went in my pocket, or to buy something else I needed.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: SarDragon on February 29, 2016, 09:22:32 PM
that $14.58 a year went in my pocket, or to buy something else I needed.

We all know what you swabbos buy with extra cash...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on February 29, 2016, 09:31:11 PM

8) >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

And it ain't razors....  :)
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Quote from: THRAWN on February 29, 2016, 09:49:30 PM

I'll have you know that I buy a new razor once a month.  :P
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

Quote from: SarDragon on February 29, 2016, 09:51:02 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on February 29, 2016, 09:49:30 PM

I'll have you know that I buy a new razor once a month.  :P

In Tiajuana
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SarDragon

Quote from: Goblin on February 28, 2016, 03:15:20 PM

Quote from: SarDragon on February 28, 2016, 03:44:41 AM
Quote from: slimshady on February 27, 2016, 08:07:18 PM
Very expensive for such rare as the occasion to wear it.
Different strokes for different folks. If I were allowed to wear the AF-STYLE uniform, I would probably spring for the mess dress, and find occasions to wear it. My barbateness precludes such action.

If you're "finding" reasons to wear mess dress you're wrong.
Hmmm...  Just noticed this.

How am I wrong?

If I like dressing up, and am going to spend the bucks for fancy duds (oh, BTW, I own a tux), I'm going to look for opportunities to wear them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

goblin

You're implication is that you would attend events for the sole purpose of wearing mess dress.

If you weren't interested in the event before, and now want to go just to "dress up," then you're wrong.

lordmonar

Quote from: Goblin on March 01, 2016, 01:32:27 AM
You're implication is that you would attend events for the sole purpose of wearing mess dress.

If you weren't interested in the event before, and now want to go just to "dress up," then you're wrong.
And if the reverse is true?
You don't go because you have to dress up.

I'd like to point out that is is bad form to say a person's motivation for attending an event is wrong.

We should not care why they are here.....just that they are there.
We have this same argument about ribbons, berets, cords and other bling.

Attacking a person's motivation....so long as it is in line with CAP's core values, ethics and aims is not following our core value of respect.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

goblin

Quote from: lordmonar on March 01, 2016, 01:36:49 AM

And if the reverse is true?
You don't go because you have to dress up.

I'd like to point out that is is bad form to say a person's motivation for attending an event is wrong.

We should not care why they are here.....just that they are there.
We have this same argument about ribbons, berets, cords and other bling.

Attacking a person's motivation....so long as it is in line with CAP's core values, ethics and aims is not following our core value of respect.

Noted

SarDragon

You're Your implication is that you would attend events for the sole purpose of wearing mess dress.

FTFY.

There are also events where not wearing the prescribed UoD looks tacky, and I might not attend for that reason. Having the right uniform can be an inducement to show up.

Regardless, I think it's poor form to question my personal choices in this situation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Hey, man, you pay enough for the darn thing, better get some wear out of it.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on March 01, 2016, 02:54:07 PM

Hey, man, you pay enough for the darn thing, better get some wear out of it.

You sound like my ex-wife. And because of that, we went to every NER conference, and wing conference we could schedule. Ended up learning a lot thanks to wanting to get use out of my uniform....It doesn't matter what the motivation is, as long as there is motivation.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

goblin

Quote from: SarDragon on March 01, 2016, 04:17:16 AM
You're Your implication is that you would attend events for the sole purpose of wearing mess dress.

FTFY.

Good catch! That kinda stuff grinds my gears. Appreciate the correction on a stupid mistake.

goblin

....It doesn't matter what the motivation is, as long as there is motivation.

Copy all. I'll remember this.

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on March 01, 2016, 03:01:26 PM
You sound like my ex-wife. And because of that, we went to every NER conference, and wing conference we could schedule. Ended up learning a lot thanks to wanting to get use out of my uniform....It doesn't matter what the motivation is, as long as there is motivation.

"OHhhh, Archie!"

I will be finding myself at random wing & region conferences in the next year quite a bit more than normal, so I figured what the heck.

Plus, I like my jingle-jangles.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on March 01, 2016, 05:01:23 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on March 01, 2016, 03:01:26 PM

"OHhhh, Archie!"

I will be finding myself at random wing & region conferences in the next year quite a bit more than normal, so I figured what the heck.

Plus, I like my jingle-jangles.

Stifle yerself....lol
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023