Some lessons from a Regional

Started by Live2Learn, January 16, 2016, 05:34:20 AM

Live2Learn

I was very surprised to find this in a non-aviation magazine.  See:  http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2016/01/airplane-pilot-storm-training/424407/

The article contains some  good 'hints' (maybe that's not a strong enough word) about when, how, and why we are a "crew" any time we fly with other CAP members.    We've all heard the old joke:  "The pilot is first to the scene of an accident".  Unfortunately, in a C182, second to arrive is the Observer while the back seaters arrive simultaneously third.  IMHO, "Knock it off" or "I think we need to wait for..." is well within the decision space of anyone in the crew.

Garibaldi

"Hey, man...if one of the engines fails, how far will the other one take us?"
"All the way to the scene of the crash. I bet we beat the paramedics by a half hour."
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

NIN

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 16, 2016, 12:06:14 PM
"All the way to the scene of the crash. I bet we beat the paramedics by a half hour."

"The second engine is there to ensure we make it to the crash site."
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Live2Learn

Quote from: NIN on January 16, 2016, 01:49:40 PM

NIN:  Only half an hour?  You haven't read the SAR stats recently!

Garibaldi:  You must not have ME rating...  The primary purpose of a second engine has nothing to do with getting us anywhere, it's intended to promote a flat, inverted spin.  We won't discuss the purpose of multiple, extraneous engines.

:clap:

NIN

You got us backwards, but thats cool. Ain't my first rodeo.

Bunch of years back, I had an uncle who liked to go on those floatplane kind of moose hunts in Northern Canada, couple hundred miles back into the mountains, live in some cabin on a lake for a week, eating what you shot, that sort of thing.  He went every year with 2-3 guys, same crew, same lake and everything. 

So the last year he went, the float plane pilot was adamant about how much they could take back when he came to pick them up. "1 moose for each of you. Thats it. Thats all we gots the performance for."

The end of the week, the plane lands on the lake and taxis up to the dock, and there laying on the beach are the carcasses of 5 moose.  The pilot, a different guy than the one who dropped them off, was pretty irate "Ol' Hank tol' you guys just one moose per guy!" My uncle's buddy said "Aww, come on, man, the guy who took us outta here last year took 5 moose for the 3 of us. Are you saying he was a better pilot or something?"

So the pilot scratched his head, looks at the wind direction and the terrain, and said "OK, load 'em up, but make sure they're as far forward as you can put 'em, so the CG don't get out."

They loaded up the moose, water taxiied to the far end of the lake and guy jammed everything that old Otter had . Its bouncing across the lake trying to plane out and get up on the step, and at the very last second he hauled back on the yoke, broke the water and climbed into the sky.  The plane got about 400 yards past the lake when it settled into the trees and crashed, tumbling end over end, throwing moose, rifles, hunters, camping supplies all over.

When the whole thing quit moving, one of my uncle's buddies, all dazed and confused, stumbled out of the wreckage and shouted "Where the hell are we?"

My uncle shouted back "About 100 yards further than last year!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Live2Learn

Quote from: NIN on January 16, 2016, 08:57:51 PM
You got us backwards, but thats cool. Ain't my first rodeo.

That's the other part of the post (the hidden dyslexic that moves the big ROUND knob on the panel to full up - instead of the flat lever) during a pre-flight.  Ooops.

Seems like the mooses must have put on weight from when they were shot, dressed out, and strapped to the floats the second time. Or your uncle told "uncle stories" to his nephews.

JeffDG

Quote from: Live2Learn on January 16, 2016, 07:22:45 PM
Quote from: NIN on January 16, 2016, 01:49:40 PM

NIN:  Only half an hour?  You haven't read the SAR stats recently!

Garibaldi:  You must not have ME rating...  The primary purpose of a second engine has nothing to do with getting us anywhere, it's intended to promote a flat, inverted spin.  We won't discuss the purpose of multiple, extraneous engines.

:clap:
You mean like when that B-52 had to do the dreaded 7-engine approach?

NIN

Quote from: Live2Learn on January 16, 2016, 10:00:33 PM
Or your uncle told "uncle stories" to his nephews.
Didn't everybody's?

(Note: that story joke was not told by my uncle, but it works better if you personalize it...LOL)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Garibaldi

I don't lay claim to that joke. I heard it from Ron White, and I thought it was appropriate to the conversation.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things