NCSA applications postponed

Started by Pulsar, December 10, 2015, 06:10:10 PM

Pulsar

Does anyone know why NCSAs have been pushed back twice this year or why they have not posted any new information on the NCSA site?
thanks
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Ned

We expect to go live with the 2016 page on the website tomorrow (Friday).  All dates and info will be current.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

Noloblock

What time today will the website be updated?

Garibaldi

Quote from: Noloblock on December 11, 2015, 03:40:00 PM

Today. Which means anywhere from right now to midnight. Top men are working on it. Top. Men.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 11, 2015, 03:45:09 PM

Today. Which means anywhere from right now to midnight. Top men are working on it. Top. Men.

Thank you, Red Six.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on December 11, 2015, 03:52:53 PM

Thank you, Red Six.

Shhhh  :-X remember the other thread? Top Secret Delta information about my code name can get both of us killed. Or worse.

THRAWN

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 11, 2015, 03:59:40 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on December 11, 2015, 03:52:53 PM

Thank you, Red Six.

Shhhh  :-X remember the other thread? Top Secret Delta information about my code name can get both of us killed. Or worse.

Have a sandwich, Porkins. You get all Major Eaton-y when you're hungry...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Alaric

According to the site, the time it will open is 1700 Central

xray328

Does it matter?  Not trying to sound like a jerk, just wondering if there's any advantage to being the first one to submit an application?

lordmonar

No just don't wait till the last day
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on December 11, 2015, 06:32:45 PM
Does it matter?  Not trying to sound like a jerk, just wondering if there's any advantage to being the first one to submit an application?

No advantage what-so-ever.  The list that is given to your Wing National Cadet Special Activities Selection Board does not show when the app was submitted.
So as long as you get the app in before the application period closes, you're good.

Pulsar

Quote from: xray328 on December 11, 2015, 06:32:45 PM

Some of us are just really excited and can't wait...  ; ;)
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Shutterbug

Quote from: Pulsar on December 11, 2015, 11:22:43 PM

Ditto. Unfortunately, the application module still doesn't seem to be working. The winter NCSAs are still listed.

Pulsar

Quote from: Shutterbug on December 12, 2015, 01:54:42 AM
Quote from: Pulsar on December 11, 2015, 11:22:43 PM

Ditto. Unfortunately, the application module still doesn't seem to be working. The winter NCSAs are still listed.

Yeah, its almost 2300 est and still not up and application not opened for summer activities...
C/LtCol Neutron Star

thebeggerpie

It is the 12th of December.

And we still can't apply for NCSAs.

Alaric

Don't mind the delay, I do wish they would update the site once they have passed the deadline

Buckle Up Buckaroo

Now 13 full days. I hope NHQ gives an announcement or something at least. I have a lot of cadets seriously getting concerned/anxious.

apache

Have the attendees for the 2016 Civic Leadership Academy been announced yet?

Pulsar

aaaah! All the summer ncsas are gone from the website!   ;)
C/LtCol Neutron Star

thebeggerpie

Quote from: apache on December 13, 2015, 08:33:24 PM
Have the attendees for the 2016 Civic Leadership Academy been announced yet?

NOPE! I would know, I applied, I am watching like a hawk.

Buckle Up Buckaroo

Any cadets out there see any of the summer activities for 2016 in the Eservices application yet??? Not the NCSA site... in the Eservices application. Like any of the flight academies??? All I see is the 3 winter NCSA... so let me know if anyone sees something for summer.

MSG Mac

PJOC and the SWR Powered Flight Academy are showing 2016 dates under the NCSA tab in Cadet Programs page. Didn't see it on the Registration and Payment page in E-Services page.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Pulsar

So, will the deadline for ncsa applications be extended then?
C/LtCol Neutron Star

Garibaldi

According to my wing vice CC..no one knows yet.

Ned

Just got off the phone with the corporate CP crew and it looks like the main activities are up and current, and the flight academies should go up tomorrow.

This will allow the cadets a full four weeks to apply by the January 15th deadline, which we believe is adequate.

If we push the application deadline, we would begin to interfere with the wings' part of the selection process.

Thank you all for your patience in this process.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Program Manager

Offutteer

Still not up, unless there are only 2 summer activities this year (excluding flight academies). 

dwb

Quote from: Offutteer on December 18, 2015, 03:30:13 AM
Still not up, unless there are only 2 summer activities this year (excluding flight academies).

They're working on it. They are behind because of the gap between when the last program manager left and the new one was hired/brought up to speed.

CAPs1

Quote from: dwb on December 18, 2015, 12:02:52 PM

They're working on it. They are behind because of the gap between when the last program manager left and the new one was hired/brought up to speed.

An awesome task for anyone to take over.
Surely, business continuance is at least on the same rung with publication reengineering in CAP. Now.

Offutteer

They still have Ned, the NCSA volunteer manager and the Activity Directors, along with adding Donna in the spring.  That should be enough people to update a web site.  They had enough time to create the graphic for the "new flight program" on Facebook. 

Holding Pattern

Quote from: Offutteer on December 19, 2015, 12:14:17 AM

They still have Ned, the NCSA volunteer manager and the Activity Directors, along with adding Donna in the spring.  That should be enough people to update a web site.  They had enough time to create the graphic for the "new flight program" on Facebook.

Just remember that people have lives they need to execute alongside their jobs AND their volunteer work.

Alaric

If you think you can do a better job, step up and volunteer.

lordmonar

Quote from: Alaric on December 19, 2015, 01:34:09 AM
If you think you can do a better job, step up and volunteer.
Then he won't be able to complain about NHQ!  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

dwb

You know as well as I do that it's more than just updating a web site. It's also chasing down two dozen activity directors to get their dates and locations confirmed so the whole web site isn't "TBD", and collecting all of the information for the Region activities that get NCSA award status.

Although there is a paid person at NHQ to do that, they're working almost exclusively with volunteers (you know how responsive volunteers can be), and that person is a fairly new employee and they're getting this launched while also planning for the first NCC under the new rules.

So, you know, stop poking them with a stick.

Chappie

Quote from: dwb on December 19, 2015, 11:24:09 AM

You know as well as I do that it's more than just updating a web site. It's also chasing down two dozen activity directors to get their dates and locations confirmed so the whole web site isn't "TBD", and collecting all of the information for the Region activities that get NCSA award status.

Although there is a paid person at NHQ to do that, they're working almost exclusively with volunteers (you know how responsive volunteers can be), and that person is a fairly new employee and they're getting this launched while also planning for the first NCC under the new rules.

Couldn't have said it better...NHQ has a very small staff (compared to the way it was in the late 1990's through 2006).   There have been numerous downsizings of staff in recent history....and then add to the volunteers they need to deal with.   I am currently working with a volunteer who was supposed to have had their part of a project that we are working on due the 1st of June 2015.....still waiting.   Wanted to have it in place for the 2015 National Conference....oh well...maybe in time for the 2016 National Conference...or the 2017.   Drives me crazy...but often we have no control over what transpires -- we just move ahead and go forward.   Maybe at a snail's pace...but it is ahead.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

THRAWN

Quote from: Chappie on December 19, 2015, 07:35:24 PM

Couldn't have said it better...NHQ has a very small staff (compared to the way it was in the late 1990's through 2006).   There have been numerous downsizings of staff in recent history....and then add to the volunteers they need to deal with.   I am currently working with a volunteer who was supposed to have had their part of a project that we are working on due the 1st of June 2015.....still waiting.   Wanted to have it in place for the 2015 National Conference....oh well...maybe in time for the 2016 National Conference...or the 2017.   Drives me crazy...but often we have no control over what transpires -- we just move ahead and go forward.   Maybe at a snail's pace...but it is ahead.

Lots of good points here. I do have a question though, and it has to do with your "small staff" comment. It seems like the volunteers that are supposed to be supporting the paid staff are not doing what they agreed to. Lose them. Get new volunteers. Is there no consequence of not meeting suspense dates? The whole "just a volunteer" excuse is just that, an excuse. You wouldn't accept it from a volunteer fire department that let your house burn down and it should not be accepted by CAP either. Do the job, or find another. What's next?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Chappie

Quote from: THRAWN on December 19, 2015, 07:45:10 PM
Quote from: Chappie on December 19, 2015, 07:35:24 PM

Lots of good points here. I do have a question though, and it has to do with your "small staff" comment. It seems like the volunteers that are supposed to be supporting the paid staff are not doing what they agreed to. Lose them. Get new volunteers. Is there no consequence of not meeting suspense dates? The whole "just a volunteer" excuse is just that, an excuse. You wouldn't accept it from a volunteer fire department that let your house burn down and it should not be accepted by CAP either. Do the job, or find another. What's next?

Thrawn...totally concur with the "just a volunteer" comment.   As one of my commanders has stated, "we are professional volunteers" -- translated...we should act in a professional manner even though we volunteer our time, energy and money.  Unfortunately in some situations it not as easy to jettison a volunteer and enlist another.  In the situation I just described -- which is often the case with others -- the volunteer I am working with has a major chunk of the project which a great deal of time has been invested.   To bring someone else on board at this juncture is not possible.   We just need to get it done.  All I know is that it will be looooong time before I enlist this person's help again.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)