Community Service Ribbon Question

Started by Holding Pattern, December 03, 2015, 07:25:44 PM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: lordmonar on December 04, 2015, 05:17:19 PM
Oh I agree.....but the question was "why does this come up so often".   The answer is because the intent of the ribbon is not really clear in the reading of the CAPR. 

And when a regulation is unclear.....it opens up for different interpretations.

Why does that sound familiar?

Topic of each week's staff meeting...  :P ::)

kwe1009

I look at this just like I do with the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.  It is to recognize service members who are active in the community.  This award is not given out to people who just graduated BMT who did a lot of community service in high school.  It is given to members who are involved in the community while they are a member of the military.

THRAWN

Quote from: kwe1009 on December 04, 2015, 10:23:27 PM
I look at this just like I do with the Military Outstanding Volunteer Service Medal.  It is to recognize service members who are active in the community.  This award is not given out to people who just graduated BMT who did a lot of community service in high school.  It is given to members who are involved in the community while they are a member of the military.

Great analogy.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SARDOC

Quote from: kwe1009 on December 04, 2015, 10:23:27 PM

I got my MOVSM while the reserve, I volunteered for the local EMS agency to the Tune of thousands of hours.  I did it for fun not for the recognition but the OPS Chief picked right up on it and submitted me for the award.

TheSkyHornet

So then it sounds like the consensus is that NHQ should emphasize that the Community Service Ribbon is intended to promote the continued volunteer service in the community and not be retroactive.

SARDOC

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 06, 2015, 01:19:11 AM
So then it sounds like the consensus is that NHQ should emphasize that the Community Service Ribbon is intended to promote the continued volunteer service in the community and not be retroactive.

That does appear to be the case.

Chappie

Quote from: SARDOC on December 07, 2015, 08:48:46 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on December 06, 2015, 01:19:11 AM

That does appear to be the case.

I would concur that volunteer service PRIOR to joining CAP does not meet the criteria for the Community Service Ribbon.  Caveat:  Say you were a member of a volunteer organization which provides community service prior to joining CAP, start counting the hours of volunteer service beginning the date of membership.  Then submit the application for the award.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Garibaldi

Resolved: That is it the concesn....consens....kinsens....opinion of the majority of CAP members that the Community Service Ribbon shall only be awarded for volunteer service outside of CAP, but only while the member is a member in good standing. Community service shall not be counted for any activity where the CAP member was not a member at the time.

Community Service shall not be considered if the member is using community service in lieu of paying fines or to avoid jail time for offenses, as this is not true community service, but choosing service to avoid fines or jail time.

Community Service may include activities such as volunteering in a local animal shelter, Habitat for Humanity, working at a homeless shelter and so on. CAP members who want to include these types of activities will present a time card signed by the leader of the activity, for the period of time the member worked. It will not include time spent travelling, eating, breaks, or sleeping, if the event is overseas or out of state, or while wearing the CAP uniform in the pursuit of a CAP mission or activity, such as recruiting events, or activities that CAP is requested to participate.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Chappie

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 07, 2015, 09:03:58 PM
Resolved: That is it the concesn....consens....kinsens....opinion of the majority of CAP members that the Community Service Ribbon shall only be awarded for volunteer service outside of CAP, but only while the member is a member in good standing. Community service shall not be counted for any activity where the CAP member was not a member at the time.

Community Service shall not be considered if the member is using community service in lieu of paying fines or to avoid jail time for offenses, as this is not true community service, but choosing service to avoid fines or jail time.

Community Service may include activities such as volunteering in a local animal shelter, Habitat for Humanity, working at a homeless shelter and so on. CAP members who want to include these types of activities will present a time card signed by the leader of the activity, for the period of time the member worked. It will not include time spent travelling, eating, breaks, or sleeping, if the event is overseas or out of state, or while wearing the CAP uniform in the pursuit of a CAP mission or activity, such as recruiting events, or activities that CAP is requested to participate.

"Wreaths Across America" does not count since it is a CAP-sanctioned activity....however, where I am contributing my community service hours is very worthwhile/fulfilling and has not yet been deemed a CAP-activity;  Honor Flight.    Gotta tell ya'...this is a noble and worthwhile organization/cause to support.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Chappie on December 07, 2015, 09:15:20 PM

"Wreaths Across America" does not count since it is a CAP-sanctioned activity....however, where I am contributing my community service hours is very worthwhile/fulfilling and has not yet been deemed a CAP-activity;  Honor Flight.    Gotta tell ya'...this is a noble and worthwhile organization/cause to support.

Sir, my post is made in jest, but it has some seriousity to it. I think the regulation should include more of what should be considered as real community service, and what isn't. Is Honor Flight similar to Angel flight, or is it something different?

Chappie

Quote from: Garibaldi on December 07, 2015, 09:36:24 PM

Sir, my post is made in jest, but it has some seriousity to it. I think the regulation should include more of what should be considered as real community service, and what isn't. Is Honor Flight similar to Angel flight, or is it something different?

Had no problem with your comment...knew where you were coming from and just wanted to add some flavor ;)

Here is a good introduction to Honor Flight: https://youtu.be/_VoWKh_T6aA    As the number of WWII vets diminish due to their age, Korea and Vietnam War vets are now filling the flights.  Our local hub sends 2-3  flights each year - 20 vets and 20 guardians.  Here is a link to a video I created for our last flight: https://youtu.be/9Gr-B0-vAto

Chappie

Quote from: Chappie on December 07, 2015, 09:51:12 PM

Had no problem with your comment...knew where you were coming from and just wanted to add some flavor ;)

Here is a good introduction to Honor Flight: https://youtu.be/_VoWKh_T6aA    As the number of WWII vets diminish due to their age, Korea and Vietnam War vets are now filling the flights.  Our local hub sends 2-3  flights each year - 20 vets and 20 guardians.  Here is the link to a video I put together for our last flight: https://youtu.be/9Gr-B0-vAto

Chappie

Quote from: Chappie on December 07, 2015, 09:55:07 PM
Quote from: Chappie on December 07, 2015, 09:51:12 PM

Here is a good introduction to Honor Flight: https://youtu.be/_VoWKh_T6aA    As the number of WWII vets diminish due to their age, Korea and Vietnam War vets are now filling the flights.  Our local hub sends 2-3  flights each year - 20 vets and 20 guardians.  Here is the link to a video I put together for our last flight: https://youtu.be/9Gr-B0-vAto

As you can see, there are a few hours put in for community service :)

Alaric

I would disagree, or add that any required Community Service for a religious organization or school also not be counted as those are not being chosen, but are being used to fulfill requirements.  (Many Schools now require a certain number of hours of community service, and I have noticed a rise in required community service for Bar-Mitzvah projects).  Court mandated community service should not be treated any differently than school mandated community service.

SarDragon

Just for the sake of discussion, why not overseas? I was stationed in Japan, and a member of an overseas cadet squadron.  While there I was involved with the local Japanese charity organization, and also with the annual open house/air show. Why shouldn't that count?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Sar, you did not read clearly.

Remember there are commas. I think the person put one extra coma. In other words, Garibaldi posted:

...time spent traveling, eating, breaks, or sleeping, if the event is overseas or out of state...

This may have been Garibaldi's intention, but I am putting words or rather comas, in his writing:

...time spent traveling, eating, breaks, or sleeping if the event is overseas or out of state...

Said otherwise, overseas counts if the time reported is not spent traveling or waiting for travel. That is, you go to Japan to teach people how to build a house. Only contact hours teaching those people on how to build a house. Time spent traveling to the airport, flight time, and time spent waiting for pickup there will not.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 07, 2015, 10:43:46 PM
Sar, you did not read clearly.

Remember there are commas. I think the person put one extra coma. In other words, Garibaldi posted:

...time spent traveling, eating, breaks, or sleeping, if the event is overseas or out of state...

This may have been Garibaldi's intention, but I am putting words or rather comas, in his writing:

...time spent traveling, eating, breaks, or sleeping if the event is overseas or out of state...

Said otherwise, overseas counts if the time reported is not spent traveling or waiting for travel. That is, you go to Japan to teach people how to build a house. Only contact hours teaching those people on how to build a house. Time spent traveling to the airport, flight time, and time spent waiting for pickup there will not.

Egg zachary. Somewhere towards the beginning of the thread we said only contact time and not the whole, say, 144 hours of the week, which would presumably include the aforementioned non-activity activities. Much as I harp on poor grammar, a misplaced comma can mean a world of difference. Like, a panda eats shoots and leaves. Or a panda eats, shoots, and leaves. Totally different meanings but the same words.

Luis R. Ramos

Garibaldi-

So you actually meant

Now I join Sar in asking why don't you want to include overseas events?
Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 08, 2015, 01:21:22 AM
Garibaldi-

So you actually meant

Now I join Sar in asking why don't you want to include overseas events?

You misinterpret my statement. You would not include time spent eating, sleeping, watching Netflix, travelling to and fro(if the activity is out of state or country), napping, using the toilet etc. In other words, time not spent on task.

Luis R. Ramos

Sorry but your last statement was a little confusing to me.

In other words, you did put a comma out of place?

That is what I originally thought. It is what I think I have come to think of you.

A sane head on your shoulder.

Squadron Safety Officer