In need of a cadet recruiting PPT

Started by xray328, October 20, 2015, 03:25:48 PM

xray328

Hey guys, I'm going to be speaking to a group of AFJROTC cadets, does anyone have a ppt for cadet recruiting?  I'm only seeing ones for parents and senior members on the NHQ site.  Thanks in advance

TheSkyHornet

Just curious---
Any chance you might be able to take some cadets with you?

We're looking at ways to recruit come 2016 and I'd also like to know what others do to get outside the squadron and general public, like hitting up the AFJROTC groups, so I'm tracking what you've been up to on this subject since the last few posts you've made about it.  ;)

xray328

No, unfortunately not.  My only day off during the week is every other Wednesday. I'm returning to the squadron I was a member of back in high school.  New commander, but still very friendly and willing to sit down for a visit.  Things went great during the visit so I was invited back to speak to the cadets.  Apparently we had a pretty good relationship with them in the past but the instructor that made that relationship work retired, then those cadets graduated and nothings been done since then.  Since we do pretty much the same kind of stuff in the classroom, outside of ES, I'm going to focus on the things we do in CAP outside of the classroom, especially NCSA's and flying.   

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: xray328 on October 20, 2015, 10:04:32 PM
No, unfortunately not.  My only day off during the week is every other Wednesday. I'm returning to the squadron I was a member of back in high school.  New commander, but still very friendly and willing to sit down for a visit.  Things went great during the visit so I was invited back to speak to the cadets.  Apparently we had a pretty good relationship with them in the past but the instructor that made that relationship work retired, then those cadets graduated and nothings been done since then.  Since we do pretty much the same kind of stuff in the classroom, outside of ES, I'm going to focus on the things we do in CAP outside of the classroom, especially NCSA's and flying.

That's extremely common--for the person who once held everything together and made it all work to go, and things start to dry up and get dusty. It's easy to get a new face on board with ideas, but hard for everyone to stay committed.

What we've been talking about at our squadron is doing more joint activities with other squadrons as well as AFJROTC. The Boy Scouts also requested us to partner up for an aerospace education day since they got word that we held one this past year that was really successful. The Girl Scouts have also asked us to host one for them as well. The key is to not try to snipe recruits from other organizations while still developing bonds to stay in contact and work off each other when things come together. And if we happen to get some of their members to join CAP, that's their choice, but we didn't ask that of them. For me, knowing how to get someone interested by talking to them and using multimedia works, but I'm not the greatest when it comes to reaching out to different groups and finding activity ideas for a visitor day. I'll admit that.

I'd like to start getting in contact with more of the junior military programs and even do just some fun activities, without making it into a recruiting effort, just to get kids interested in the same things and keeping them motivated. It also really helps them to stay in contact with people outside of their squadron and school.