Civil Air Patrol Resume

Started by C/CMSgt Allen, September 28, 2015, 12:29:05 PM

C/CMSgt Allen

Hello, I am a C/MSgt that is applying to be cadet commander in my squadron. I have not been able to go to NCSA's due to a tight budget so I have not encountered the CAP resume. Would someone be able to give me a basic outline on what should be on the resume. Thank you.

THRAWN

Use the search function and type in "resume". You will get lots of info.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

kwe1009

There seems to be many different formats used.  Ask your squadron leadership for an example so that you know for sure that you are on the right path.

Spam

Here's what should be at the very top of your CAP resume, if you're applying to be a Cadet Commander:

Cadet 2LT.

Cadet Commander and Flight Commander officer jobs are inappropriate for a Master Sergeant, who should still be mastering Direct Leadership. Your day will come to be an Indirect Leader and officer, don't jump the stream and break the process.  If your unit has no cadet officers, then your unit Commander should leave the C/CC position vacant, and fills that job, until one of you wins your way through to your Mitchell.

V/R,
Spam

kwe1009

Quote from: Spam on September 28, 2015, 06:21:52 PM
Here's what should be at the very top of your CAP resume, if you're applying to be a Cadet Commander:

Cadet 2LT.

Cadet Commander and Flight Commander officer jobs are inappropriate for a Master Sergeant, who should still be mastering Direct Leadership. Your day will come to be an Indirect Leader and officer, don't jump the stream and break the process.  If your unit has no cadet officers, then your unit Commander should leave the C/CC position vacant, and fills that job, until one of you wins your way through to your Mitchell.

V/R,
Spam

That is an excellent point.

C/CMSgt Allen

We are setting it up now. We are filling all the jobs and we are going to rotate every 2 months. Our commander wants to test us and see who is fit in being the cadet commander. He is trying to get a cadet commander with experience in the program.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/MSgt Allen on September 28, 2015, 07:28:40 PM
We are setting it up now. We are filling all the jobs and we are going to rotate every 2 months.

2 months seems a bit frequent for some of those high-up roles. I'd recommend about 4-6 months as minimum rotation cycles. The problem with 2 months is many people don't get the chance to be comfortable in those roles and get involved in long-term planning.

I know you're eager to get into a role that high at your level of experience, but part of being your grade is respecting that you are still in the middle range for learning and being a cadet commander might be out of your element. Unfortunately, many people don't get to assume that role because they don't have the additional time as a cadet to rank up, especially the people that join when they're 16. I don't know how old you are, but you may want to wait a little bit longer and serve in an advisory role before you step into the role of cadet commander if there aren't any more available billets as a Master Sergeant.

Anyway, it's a squadron decision, and I won't tell you how to run your squadron. However it turns out, keep us informed. I always appreciate seeing how things work out.

Quote from: Spam on September 28, 2015, 06:21:52 PM
If your unit has no cadet officers, then your unit Commander should leave the C/CC position vacant, and fills that job, until one of you wins your way through to your Mitchell.

V/R,
Spam

*Earns, not wins

I've seen several squadrons now that have gone the way of putting people in officer positions who aren't officers yet. I think this is stemming from this idea of "cadet programs are run by the cadets" which is entirely false. Poor, likely clueless, squadron leadership. Most of you who have read my posts in cadet-related topics know my own experiences in that department, so no need to elaborate again.

As for the bluntness on what should be at the top of the resume, maybe he didn't know, which could be a sign of leadership not cracking down on areas of expertise when it comes to duty positions. I would suggest he review CAPR 20-1, especially in the Cadet Squadron cadet roles section.

Spam

Hornet, you called it right - earns, not wins. Thanks for the correction! Two months seems fine to me, as long as we're talking about element leaders, not officer jobs. Reference Section 1.5 (Term Limits) of the Cadet Staff Handbook (http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPP_52_15_F0704CA950FA9.pdf). I'd completely agree that to rotate cadet commanders/staff every two months is a bad idea (a recipe for chaos, actually, given half their cadets are new this year).

C/MSGT Allen, I see (from the QCUA data file from NHQ/CP) that your unit is on a positive growth curve - from 8 cadets in SEP2014 to 16 this month (congrats!) and digesting that growth is a challenge.  May I respectfully suggest that you and your unit might profit from reading the Cadet Staff Handbook (link above) in specific pages 3 and 4, on assigning cadet staff and the role of senior members in rebuilding units.  There's a lot of info in there of direct use to you, in terms of preparing to apply for and accept positions (if offered).

I think Skyhornet and I are suggesting that you stick with the program as it is supposed to be run, learn and milk all the good stuff out of being a senior NCO before taking on the job challenges of an officer.  If your 16 cadet unit has no cadet officers to be Flight Commanders or Cadet Commanders, then the program says that the adult SMs should take on those tasks until you're ready:

Examples from the Handbook (bold face added):
(Page 3) "New or Rebuilding Units
In contrast, if the unit is bottom-heavy – perhaps it is brand new or
rebuilding – the senior staff will need to take a more hands-on
approach. In the absence of mature cadet officers, the senior staff
must fulfill the goal-setting, planning, and decision-making functions
until junior cadets acquire some rank, maturity, and leadership skills
".

(Page 12)  "What is the cadet staff's role in planning squadron meetings? A cadet
officer (ie: a flight commander or the cadet commander
) will usually
draft the unit's meeting schedule, which is then reviewed by the
squadron commander or deputy. The NCO staff (ie: the first sergeant
and flight sergeants) help their commanders implement the schedule".

(Page 20, 21 - illustrations of your grade as Flight Sergeant and First Sergeant, of C/CC and Flt/CC as officer grade assignments)

(Page 48 and on - cadet position descriptions and job aids - where C/CC is specifically depicted as a job appropriate for an officer, and recommended for C/Captain and up).

You may want to share these with your Commander/CDC and the rest of your units staff for discussion.

Best of luck,
Spam

CAPDCCMOM

Don't run before you can walk Young Grasshopper.

Take the time to learn what you need to do the job properly, do not allow yourself to pushed in where you are not ready. Be the Best C/MSgt you can be. Then be the best C/2nd Lt you can. And then, hopefully, Cadet Commander.

C/CMSgt Allen

C/CMSgt Allen

I got the position as First Sergeant! They decided to wait until we get an officer in our squadron.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: C/1Sgt Allen on October 22, 2015, 12:30:20 PM
I got the position as First Sergeant! They decided to wait until we get an officer in our squadron.

Nicely done. Hope things go well for you.  :clap:

Keep us informed how everything progresses.

Spam

Congratulations, Cadet!

I should say, "Top"!

Spam

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Spam on October 23, 2015, 04:55:05 AM
Congratulations, Cadet!

I should say, "Top"!

Spam

Called my Cadet Commander "CC."
"What's that mean?"

Called my First Sergeant "Top."
"What's that mean?"

I'd throw down an armful of DVDs and tell them to start watching, but they'd probably say "Nobody uses DVDs anymore," or worse..."What's John Wayne?"
"And that's when I killed them, your honor!  >:("

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Spam on October 23, 2015, 04:55:05 AM
Congratulations, Cadet!

I should say, "Top"!

Spam

I prefer the term "Shirt"? ;)

Spam

Our Squadron patch dating from the '60s shows Snoopy "flying" his doghouse against the Red Baron (approved in writing by C. Schultz, before you ask, copy of the letter at the below link). So, every October, we show the "Great Pumpkin" video to our cadets, complete with the "heres the famous WW1 flying ace" bit re: having an never say die spirit. Well, we couldn't find the DVD and had to go with the VHS copy this month.  I got so dang many jokes for pulling out the VHS...

http://www.ga045.org/documents/Sandy%20Springs%20Cadet%20Squadron%20History%20Slideshow%20-%2018%20DEC%2013%20FINAL.pdf

Old Skool. Keep showing the DVDs and so forth. We show 12 OClock High coupled with the SOS commentary, and Bridges of Toko Ri as well, some leadership nights. Come on over and I'll play you some classic rock on original vinyl, too.

Cheers,
Spam

Luis R. Ramos

Given the vintage of the patch, the date, Mr Schultz, etc. I am not surprised you have a VHS of The Great Pumpkin... But do the cadets know what a VHS is...?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Spam

Some of them looked a little dazed at the concept. Then, two nights later, I caught one of my 3 sons (the 9th grader, C/SMSGT one) trying to put one of my cassette tapes into my stereo's tape deck... without taking it out of the plastic folding case.

It was a moment of payback for all the crap I've gotten from my smug teens who think they invented technology.

V/R,
Spam

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Spam on October 23, 2015, 05:30:08 PM
Some of them looked a little dazed at the concept. Then, two nights later, I caught one of my 3 sons (the 9th grader, C/SMSGT one) trying to put one of my cassette tapes into my stereo's tape deck... without taking it out of the plastic folding case.

It was a moment of payback for all the crap I've gotten from my smug teens who think they invented technology.

V/R,
Spam

I've already told my wife that when we have a kid, we'll make sure to go rent a truck at homedepot  just o say roll down the window, and lo and behold...there's no power options!

kwe1009

C/CMSgt Allen

Things are going great in our squadron! We have about 10 new cadets so we were able to have 2 flights and flight sergeants. I am loving this position currently! Thank you all for all your help.

Spam