Drill plan help

Started by Alphaflight, September 21, 2015, 12:10:32 AM

Alphaflight

Hey Cadets I am a flight sargent and need help making a drill plan any suggetions thanks

C/SSgT

THRAWN

Quote from: Alphaflight on September 21, 2015, 12:10:32 AM
Hey Cadets I am a flight sargent and need help making a drill plan any suggetions thanks

C/SSgT

Step one is spelling sergeant correctly.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Eaker Guy

C/SSgT

THRAWN is right. Please learn how to spell and abbreviate Cadet Staff Sergeant correctly. It's in the learn to lead vol. 1, as well as in CAPP 151, respect on display. Seriously man, you're a C/SSgt! You will be teaching cadets this very thing very soon. Learn it before you teach it!

As for a drill plan, for what purpose? What about a time period? For how many? And at what skill level? These are questions that you need to answer before you will get any help. Your statement is way, way to vague. Once you provide the details, I'll be glad to help.

vorteks

Quote from: C/Maj Kiss on September 21, 2015, 11:23:09 AM

C/SSgT

THRAWN is right. Please learn how to spell and abbreviate Cadet Staff Sergeant correctly. It's in the learn to lead vol. 1 Learn to Lead, Vol. 1, as well as in CAPP 151, respect on display Respect On Display. Seriously man, you're a C/SSgt! You will be teaching cadets this very thing very soon. Learn it before you teach it!

As for a drill plan, for what purpose? What about a time period? For how many? And at what skill level? These are questions that you need to answer before you will get any help. Your statement is way, way to too vague. Once you provide the details, I'll be glad to help.

FTFY, boss.

lostdude1664

Start by going hands on with basic commands that require little movement whatsoever, and then go into more movements and then finally marching and executive commands. E.g.

Phase 1:
Attention
At Ease
Parade Rest
Rest
Hand Salute
Present Arms
Order Arms
Eyes Right
Ready Front
Dress Right Dress
Cover

Phase 2:
Left Face
Right Face
About Face

Phase 3:
Forwards March
Halt
Left Flank
Right Flank
Column Left
Column Right

Phase 4:
Left Step
Right Step
Double Time

And so on. This is just an example of how you can execute this for the cadets.

TheSkyHornet

A key is to not have people lead/teach drill (especially on the teaching end) who don't know how to perform it. That's very common with cadets---to have someone step out of formation, and start leading the cadets in marching around when not only do the cadet not know what the correct commands/actions are, but the person leading it doesn't know either. It causes everyone to be all of the place, and nobody learns anything, just wasting time.

Part of developing a training program is knowing who will instruct it. Nobody should instruct more than their abilities offer.

lostdude1664

I think the cadet is just referring to the point that he needs help making a plan, and teaching the course. One thing is knowing something, another is teaching it. A person can be AWESOME at drill but really bad at teaching drill. In my opinion, it takes time to learn to teach drill. And more experience and knowing your cadets rather than learning from a book. Cuz I used to be in units where the cadets were fast learners so I taught it in a certain way. But once I transferred to another unit the cadets were slow learners so I had to figure out a way to teach the cadets. It took 2 months to finally devise a new strategy to teach the slow cadets. So it is a learning experience trying to learn to teach cadets.

lostdude1664

The key to teaching cadet is make sure you get to know your cadets, formulate a plan, and execute it. Then make sure that you adjust your teaching styles to whatever the cadets respond best to. Remember this might take some time figuring out. But once you have it done, you should be good to go. I can see that you already care about what you need to do so you will be great at this. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: lostdude1664 on September 25, 2015, 02:14:06 PM
I think the cadet is just referring to the point that he needs help making a plan, and teaching the course. One thing is knowing something, another is teaching it. A person can be AWESOME at drill but really bad at teaching drill. In my opinion, it takes time to learn to teach drill. And more experience and knowing your cadets rather than learning from a book. Cuz I used to be in units where the cadets were fast learners so I taught it in a certain way. But once I transferred to another unit the cadets were slow learners so I had to figure out a way to teach the cadets. It took 2 months to finally devise a new strategy to teach the slow cadets. So it is a learning experience trying to learn to teach cadets.

Very, very true, in most aspects actually. Being good at performing a task is very different from teaching a task.

Having an "assistant" of some sorts generally helps the primary teacher/instructor, because when you do have cases where some may not learn as quickly as others, you can have that person bring them up to speed while the primary instructor keeps things moving at pace. The problem is that the slow learners may not catch up reasonably, and you spend an indefinite amount of time teaching one group to catch up to the other because they advanced at different rates. Someone who doesn't learn at the pace of "mastering the lesson by the end of the day" may need extra sessions outside of the regular meeting schedule, which can be very hard to do.

This isn't basic training....you don't have the ability to make everyone "stay until we get this right." That's a plus when it comes to retention in a volunteer organization, but a minus in trying to stick to a solid schedule when it doesn't go as planned.

As lostdude said,
Be adaptive. Be prepared for some things to not work as well as you thought, and recognize that you need to shift around a bit until you find what works for them.