Where to find used mess dress insignia

Started by mdickinson, May 04, 2007, 05:57:29 PM

mdickinson

A friend of mine was promoted to Major a while back but, being retired, doesn't have the cash to spend $45 for a pair of mess dress shoulderboards. So she hasn't been able to wear her mess dress since being promoted.

If anyone knows of a pair of female mess dress shoulderboards (Major) that are sitting idle (due to promotion, retirement, 2b, etc.) and could put me in touch with the owner, that would be appreciated.

Also looking to buy a pair of used male mess dress shoulderboards (Lt Col).

If there is a more appropriate place I should post a request such as this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Malcolm Dickinson
New York
malcolm (at] malcolm.cc

jimmydeanno

A friend of mine gave me some Maj Shoulder Boards as part of a "clean out."  I was putting together my mess dress at the time and noticed that the insignia came off.

A quick call to vanguard told me that they will sell just the bullion insignia that goes on the boards for a nominal fee (I think it was $10.00).  I just pulled the Maj insignia off and fabric glued the new insignia on.  Worked great, and you can't tell the difference. 

You should tell her to see if they'll still sell the separate bullion insignia.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Pylon

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 04, 2007, 06:11:03 PM
You should tell her to see if they'll still sell the separate bullion insignia.

They do sell the insignia separate from the boards.  I cannot comment on how it looks when all is said and done, as I've never seen it done in person... but for what it's worth, you can find them on the online Vanguard store under mess dress accessories.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mdickinson

Wow, that's great news. Thanks for the advice!

I called Vanguard and ordered the new insignia for $10 each. The call was quick & easy, they had the merchandise, and they said they will ship it right away.

While at their web site, I noticed that Vanguard sells mess dress epaulettes for $36 - that's $9 less than The Hock Shop's price. 

At our wing conference last weekend the person from National HQ put up a PowerPoint slide that said "Hint: ordering just a few ribbons from Vanguard? Do it by phone to save on shipping." We'll see if that works...

Anyone care to post detailed instructions for how to get the old insignia off and attach (glue?) the new ones on?

jimmydeanno

So they did have them still?

When I did mine, they just peeled off, they should be attached with fabric glue.  There will be some residue still on the board.

When the new ones arrive, they should cover the residue left by the old insignia.  Simply glue them on again with fabric glue and use something to hold them down while it dries.  Voila, done.

I can't tell the difference between the ones I remade and new ones.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

We have a practice where mentors would, as they go up the chain,  symbolically give their old ingisgni to their buddy.

We have a bunch of insignia in a fishing tackle box.  I have considered buying some 1st Lt-Major Shoulder Marks and the like and donating them to the tackle box.  Thus, in theory, one could buy their 2d Lt marks and trade out.

I know that is not what you are asking for, but maybe such a practice might offer some solution to these problems.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Pylon

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 05, 2007, 03:20:01 PM
We have a practice where mentors would, as they go up the chain,  symbolically give their old ingisgni to their buddy.

We have a bunch of insignia in a fishing tackle box.  I have considered buying some 1st Lt-Major Shoulder Marks and the like and donating them to the tackle box.  Thus, in theory, one could buy their 2d Lt marks and trade out.

I know that is not what you are asking for, but maybe such a practice might offer some solution to these problems.

The problem is that not many people have mess dress.  I got my 1st Lt's second hand from out of the area, but was unable to find second-hand Captain mess dress boards so I had to buy them outright.  In order to offset the dent of the full retail price, I sold the 1st Lt pair to a third owner.  Had I been able to find Captain's second-hand, I would have been willing to keep my Lt bars on hand for a future ascending senior member.

That concept works well with blues, I'm sure, but there just aren't enough senior members with mess dress and the boards are a lot more expensive than a set of blues shouldermarks.

SAR-EMT1

What is the going rate for mess dress these days?   An arm...a leg...a first born?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Hawk200

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 08, 2007, 07:35:50 AM
What is the going rate for mess dress these days?   An arm...a leg...a first born?

I put mine together for about $250, but that was about ten years ago. It's probably running $350 to $400 or so, nowadays. That's considering just about everything, from the major parts (jacket, pants, shirt) minor items (suspenders, studs, bow tie) to accoutrements (shoulder boards, medals, badges).

I would suggest eBay for some of the items, occasionally they have something pretty reasonable, since mess dress is a rarely worn item. Check some of the thrift shops around bases too. Could probably put one together for $200 or less, if you shop wisely.

jimmydeanno

I got my jacket and trousers for free, used, from an AF officer.  After the alterations, braid change and accessories, it still ran about $200.00.

Current AAFES Prices though:

Mess Dress Jacket: $165.00
Mess Dress Trousers: $65.00
Cumberbund: $10.40
Formal White Shirt: $27.00
Braid For Jacket Sleeve: $6.40
HAP Arnold Button Conversion Kit w/ Link: $19.50
Shoulder Boards: $45.00
Cuff Links: $6.65
Suspenders: &7.70
Bow Tie: $5.50
White Shirt Buttons: $5.00
Mini Medals From Vanguard: $6.25 ea.
Seal for coat: $11.50 (enamel) or $28.55 (bullion)
Bullion Wings: $11.60

Total if I were buying it for myself: ~$475.00

SAR-EMT1

HA! I still have yet to purchase the Service-Dress Coat. I've got bills to pay right now... - College loans... sob- I still have one enlisted coat - that still fits- from my cadet days.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Chappie

I picked up my mess dress off of E-Bay for $60.00 (cumerbund, tie, Hap Arnold buttons included).  The major costs then was the CAP accessories (cuff braid, shoulderboards, seal, cufflinks/studs, and don't forget the mini-medals....cha-ching).  But all told it would have be more if I had purchased the mess dress at the nearest AFB.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 08, 2007, 01:10:28 PM
Total if I were buying it for myself: ~$475.00

Wow, they have gotten expensive. It would be nice to have one, but don't really need one. Any function I'm going to attend for CAP would probably be pretty formal with just plain old service dress.

O-Rex

one word: EBAY

Got a set of cherry USAF mess-dress-$45

Got a set of USAF shoulder-boards cheap, removed the silver braid, put the blue braid on myself (very, very carefully, mind you: had to practically disassemble them.)   

There's alot of CAP stuff on ebay, too.

mdickinson

Re: Where to find used mess dress uniforms

First let's start by saying that mess dress is unnecessary. For the banquets at wing/region/national conferences, a nice class-A uniform (service coat) is perfectly acceptable. So there really is no need to spend $$$ on a mess dress uniform. If you do, it's unlikely you'll have the opportunity to wear it more than twice a year. Put that $300 in an index fund and you'll have an additional $5,000 when you retire...

That being said, here are two ideas for those who want to see if they can assemble a mess dress on the cheap.

About ten years ago I was able to buy a used mess dress uniform from a Florida member who had been 2b'd - I put a note on the cap-talk email listserve asking if anyone knew where I could get a used mess dress, and giving my size. I received an offer a few hours later. It was a steal ($40 I think) and it came complete with the CAP emblem, blue sleeve braid, cummerbund and tie - bonus!  But the pants didn't fit.

I was at a local Air Force base and was able to buy a used mess dress uniform for $30 - the pants fit!

I kept the CAP jacket and the pants that fit, and sold the two pieces I didn't use to another CAP member using the cap-talk listserve. So total outlay was $30, plus mini medals, wings, and shoulderboards. I had to buy that first pair of shoulderboards, but since then have been able to receive donated ones from higher-ups.

This was pre-ebay - If it were today, I guess I'd use ebay - but maybe a "uniform trading board" would be a good feature for this web site. It would be handy for those wanting to hand down / sell their insignia, ribbon holders, etc.  And as anyone who's attended a wing conference can attest, CAP members DO outgrow their uniforms! So it would be nice to have a source for that next-size-larger pants or service coat...

Pylon

Quote from: mdickinson on May 09, 2007, 12:03:31 PM
but maybe a "uniform trading board" would be a good feature for this web site. It would be handy for those wanting to hand down / sell their insignia, ribbon holders, etc.  And as anyone who's attended a wing conference can attest, CAP members DO outgrow their uniforms! So it would be nice to have a source for that next-size-larger pants or service coat...

We already have such a beast!   :D    The Marketplace

People could use it more than they do, but it's there.  List what you've got for grabs (for trade, sale, or for free) and put up any requests you're looking for, too!  :)

Chappie

Quote from: mdickinson on May 09, 2007, 12:03:31 PM
Re: Where to find used mess dress uniforms

First let's start by saying that mess dress is unnecessary. For the banquets at wing/region/national conferences, a nice class-A uniform (service coat) is perfectly acceptable. So there really is no need to spend $$$ on a mess dress uniform. If you do, it's unlikely you'll have the opportunity to wear it more than twice a year. Put that $300 in an index fund and you'll have an additional $5,000 when you retire...

Snip

Agrees that the Mess Dress is unnecessary.  If one attends a lot of banquets at  Wing/Region/National levels --- it will definitely get some usage.   For most banquets, that is true that the USAF Style/TPU is appropriate...however, if you attend National Staff College it is not approved for the graduation banquet.  The approved attire for NSC graduation banquet for the guys is Mess Dress, the Blazer Combo (with bowtie), or a business suit.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SAR-EMT1

Been in ROTC, to several SLS/CLC events,  Wing Confrences etc... never saw the need to go to any of the dining outs, or dinners.  The exception was a graduation dinner for a flight ecampment that I was a quasi-staffer at.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

James Shaw

Got my mess dress on ebay for $60 for complete set. They have a few on their now.

**You can try using a hair dryer on the shoulder boards to remove the old ones. It helps llosen it up. I then took a blue permanent marker and colored over the leftover glue. I used the fabric glue for the new Major Ranks. I still have the Captains for $10 if anyone needs them.

Members of Wing Staff usually have the mess dress depending on their position. The GAWG Commander wears a Black Tux. The Regional wears the TPU with Bow Tie but pretty much requests that all Regional Staff have one. Most members of the National HQ Staff have them. National HQ Staff members are somehat directed to have one as a representative of NHQ.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)