Promotion Process

Started by Cadet CMSgt, August 26, 2015, 04:00:35 PM

Cadet CMSgt

My Squadron does promotions on the first Monday of every month. Is this common or just a tradition keeping thing? I've heard a lot of other Squadrons say that they promote on any Monday or Tuesday for those who do Tuesday meetings.

Storm Chaser

It's up to the unit commander or deputy commander for cadets, if this authority has been delegated by the unit commander.

TheSkyHornet

We usually promote at the next Blues meeting (usually first of the month) following boards. We have had cases of same-day promotions, but try to get the parents there when we can.

It's different for each squadron. Some will have promotions on a non-meeting day. I'm personally not a fan of that, but if it works for them, that's alright I suppose. Not my place to dictate to another squadron how they need to hold their promotion ceremonies.

Cadet CMSgt

Ok i get that I was just wondering if it was common or not so common.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 06:50:07 PM
Ok i get that I was just wondering if it was common or not so common.

Our promotions are clicked out when the cadets complete all requirements, and I deem them ready.

They get to pin on the grade in a formal ceremony on the first meeting of the month in front of their peers.

Sometimes I'll allow cadets to wear the grade to an activity if they just promoted, but will have them revert back when back and pin at the next all hands.

Seems common, and saves time by not doing promotions at random.

MSG Mac

Are you talking about the input of the advancement or the actual ceremony? Most units will I put the data as soon as all the requirements are met. But will hold the ceremony at a time when parents or friends can come.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Cadet CMSgt

Our DCC doesnt put everything in until very last day of the month.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Cadet CMSgt/ Gregg on August 26, 2015, 07:02:05 PM

Fully within his rights, even if I disagree.

TheSkyHornet

Have you or possibly the C/CC addressed this with the DCC?

MSG Mac

If he's not putting them in until the end of the month the cadets in question are losing TIG towards their next promotion.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Storm Chaser

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 27, 2015, 01:40:12 AM

If he's not putting them in until the end of the month the cadets in question are losing TIG towards their next promotion.

True. But at the same time, the promotion shouldn't be entered until the promotion board meets, which may be once a month, depending on the squadron.

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 27, 2015, 01:40:12 AM

Not if he is putting the actual dates of the different hoops.

It is possible to do both (once a month data entry and ensuring TIG is not lost). 

To C/CMSgt Gregg......successful running a good cadet program often requires you to build processes and routines....just so you can keep up with all the fires that will always flair up!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MacGruff

In our squadron, Promotion Boards are held on the first meeting of the month. To qualify for the Board, the cadet has to have fulfilled all other requirements first. If the Board is successful, the cadet is informed. The second meeting of the month is "blues night" and that's when promotions are both handed out and recorded. Parents are always welcome to attend meeting, but are specifically invited to attend those night when their cadets are getting promoted.

Fubar

Quote from: MacGruff on August 27, 2015, 01:34:18 PMIf the Board is successful, the cadet is informed.

Could you expand on the concept of a board being successful? What does that entail?

abdsp51

The cadet needs to be notified either way whether they have passed or failed.  Plus retaining a cadet in grade must be documented on a CAPF50 applicable to the phase level.  The CAPF50 is also the only source material along with records that can be used for promotions boards and you can not quiz or test a cadet on previously achievements for a board. 

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: MacGruff on August 27, 2015, 01:34:18 PM
In our squadron, Promotion Boards are held on the first meeting of the month. To qualify for the Board, the cadet has to have fulfilled all other requirements first. If the Board is successful, the cadet is informed. The second meeting of the month is "blues night" and that's when promotions are both handed out and recorded. Parents are always welcome to attend meeting, but are specifically invited to attend those night when their cadets are getting promoted.

Quote from: Fubar on August 28, 2015, 06:39:25 AM
Could you expand on the concept of a board being successful? What does that entail?

Pretty much how we do it.

The cadet must have met all of the requirements for the promotion, or we won't even hold the board.
We can hold a counseling session if the promotion is falling behind, and talk about their goals and what they can do to improve themselves, but it won't be a formation promotion board, and all of that discussion will come back up in the board to be formally documented as part of the review process.

For promotions---
Sit with the cadet. Go through the stuff on the form. I generally prefer not to be the person running the board off paper, but being the add-on senior member to listen and ask questions when I feel like something more needs to be clarified. Generally, our PAO or Chaplain run the board. We talk about goals and their progress, then we have the cadet leave the room while we discuss what we observed, listened to, and our own opinions of the cadet from what we've seen prior to the board since their last promotion. It can get to be very in-depth. Call them back in once we've agreed on everything. Explain to them what we discussed--what we like that we've seen, what could use improvement, and how we can help them make those improvements. Then we give them our verdict on the promotion.

So far, I haven't seen anyone get denied a promotion. I actually addressed this with the CC last meeting since we're seeing some issues with a few of the cadets who seemed to have gotten "comfortable" with where they are promotion-wise, but aren't necessarily fulfilling the obligations you would expect from someone of that level in the program. We may have to deny some promotions in the near future, which I don't want to do, but it's something that should never be taken off the table if there are legitimate concerns as to that cadet's progress.

Tim Day

Quote from: abdsp51 on August 28, 2015, 09:07:45 AM
The CAPF50 is also the only source material along with records that can be used for promotions boards...
Are you sure?
Quote from: CAPR 52-16At a minimum, the board meets without the cadet present and reviews the cadet's personnel file to ensure he or she is qualified for promotion.
and for in-person boards (at least once per phase):
Quote from: CAPR 52-16A completed CAPF 50 must serve as the board's basis for their discussion.
and I agree that
Quote from: CAPR 52-16Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through achievement tests.
however, the CAPR 52-16 doesn't seem to me to prohibit the board's use of other material. Could you clarify from where you got the "only"?
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

MacGruff

In our operations, the Promotion Board is staffed by the (cadet) Commander of Cadets; the Deputy Commander for Cadets (Senior Member) and typically one more senior level cadet or Senior Member. During the Promotion Board we follow the guidelines given and ask pertinent questions regarding their achievement for the current grade they are in, and, more importantly, for the grade they are being considered for. Following the interview, the Board meets and discusses the cadets and render a recommendation. Whatever the recommendation is, it is discussed with the Squadron Commander that same evening. The Squadron Commander makes the decision to promote or not, and the Form 50 is filled out, if necessary.

TheSkyHornet

We have the Form 50 with us at the time of the board. The cadet's file is reviewed prior to even scheduling them in for a board. We make sure they know at least one meeting prior that they are up for review. On the day of, usually when we start prepping to transition to conducting boards, since they aren't generally done right at the beginning of the meeting, I'll talk with the cadet to verify they are ready that day to sit down for review, and I'll have them fill in the top part of the board (name, grade, and date of review). The cadets who have had boards before usually already have an understanding of how it works, and we just call them to the board when their time comes. Easy peasy. For the cadets who have only had one board in the past, or not at all, I usually talk to them informally at the start of the meeting to explain to them what the process will be. First timers, I like to let them see the CAPF 50 some time prior to board day so they know what we look for in a paper sense.

Sometimes, CC doesn't always make boards the easiest in a review sense. She can have a tendency to come off sounding like a teacher/therapist as if we were discussing their homework, rather than making it seem like we're reviewing their progress and professional resume instead. Our former C/CC used to run boards pretty strict--blank stare, very direct, asked them interview-type questions, and inspected their uniform for flaws. It kind of transitioned to a more "I'm proud of you because..." situation, and I can't say I really care for how some of the boards are conducted these days. They're incredibly nurturing and you can tell when someone is trying so hard to sign someone off for promotion, almost answering their questions for them with their responses becoming head nods rather than discussion.

"I see you attended a bunch of events. You went to encampment. And you also have your Arnold. Do you know your cadet oath? What type of activities would you like to see more of? Do you know what it means to be a good leader?"

My method is a little more review-ish, in my opinion:
"So, this is your third review, so far. Let's talk about what goals you set for yourself in the past and where you're at with them now. What do you think it might take to accelerate through the program and how can you get yourself there? You're stepping into some positions of responsibility, so could you explain for me what you think you can do to better yourself for those roles?"

I guess it just comes from my profession as an auditor, trying to ask questions to get to understand someone's goals and motives for certain tasks. I don't like someone talking to a 14-year-old cadet as if they're the lonely kid at the lunch table.

abdsp51

Quote from: Tim Day on August 28, 2015, 03:00:16 PM
Quote from: CAPR 52-16Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through achievement tests.
however, the CAPR 52-16 doesn't seem to me to prohibit the board's use of other material. Could you clarify from where you got the "only"?

CAPR52-16 Para 5-2.D

d. Promotion Boards.  Effective 1 September 2014, units will hold promotion boards to help the commander decide if cadets are ready to accept the increased responsibilities that come with their promotions.  At a minimum, the board meets without the cadet present and reviews the cadet's personnel file to ensure he or she is qualified for promotion.  At least once per phase, commanders will have the cadet meet with the board in person for a mentoring discussion.  When in-person boards are conducted, they will operate according to CAPP 52-15, Cadet Staff Handbook, 2.7, and must meet the following criteria:   

(1) A completed CAPF 50 must serve as the board's basis for their discussion.   
(2) Promotion boards will not re-test cadets on material they already passed through achievement tests.
(3) Commanders must apply local promotion policies consistently, with all cadets subject to the same process.