What do you wear? Specialty Track pins, that is...

Started by acarlson, May 01, 2007, 01:50:06 AM

acarlson

Hey all...

I have a senior rating PAO and a master rating PDO...   I can wear the Master PDO pin and the Senior PAO pin on each side of the white aviator shirt... (you know, 1/2" above the ribbons and 1/2" above the gray name plate...   

my question is on the Leadership ribbon...  what do you wear?   i.e., what is YOUR preference?  1 silver star (representing the master rating)  or 2 bronze stars (representing 2 senior ratings)... 

and you guys who are going to say "ribbons mean nothing to me"... need not reply, tankyouverymuch!   :-* 

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 39-3SECTION D 15. b. Leadership Award. Successfully complete technician rating in a training specialty.
(1) Bronze Star Attachment - Successfully complete senior rating in a training specialty.
(2) Silver Star Attachment - Successfully complete master rating in a training specialty. A maximum of three silver star attachments may be worn in recognition of each master rating earned.

Doesn't seem to authorize more than one bronze star.
Mike Johnston

Trung Si Ma

Quote from: acarlson on May 01, 2007, 01:50:06 AM
I have a senior rating PAO and a master rating PDO...   my question is on the Leadership ribbon...  what do you wear?   i.e., what is YOUR preference?  1 silver star (representing the master rating)  or 2 bronze stars (representing 2 senior ratings)... 

Looks like you get one silver and one bronze.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Stonewall

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on May 01, 2007, 02:18:32 AM
Quote from: acarlson on May 01, 2007, 01:50:06 AM
I have a senior rating PAO and a master rating PDO...   my question is on the Leadership ribbon...  what do you wear?   i.e., what is YOUR preference?  1 silver star (representing the master rating)  or 2 bronze stars (representing 2 senior ratings)... 

Looks like you get one silver and one bronze.

Yep, that's what I wear.
Serving since 1987.

ZigZag911

3 silvers (that's all I'm alllowed, and all there's room for!) but I'm rated Maste in cadet programs, professional development, safety and personnel.....senior in comm & ES....technician in AE & PAO....hey, I'm a member over 35 years, you end up wearing multiple hats at squadron or group, you'd better learn something in all that time!

JC004

Quote from: MIKE on May 01, 2007, 01:58:31 AM
Quote from: CAPR 39-3SECTION D 15. b. Leadership Award. Successfully complete technician rating in a training specialty.
(1) Bronze Star Attachment - Successfully complete senior rating in a training specialty.
(2) Silver Star Attachment - Successfully complete master rating in a training specialty. A maximum of three silver star attachments may be worn in recognition of each master rating earned.

Doesn't seem to authorize more than one bronze star.

Or by default, up to 4 bronze stars?   >:D  Doesn't specify, either way, does it?  So wear a couple of leadership ribbons and you're sure to get it right on at least one.  Personally, I am gonna move my leadership ribbon to the other side of the uniform cuz I'm running out of authorized height.   >:D  Then I'm gonna start wearing a sash.  I bet you the national commander wants one after I start wearing it.   :angel:

Camas

Quote from: acarlsonI can wear the Master PDO pin and the Senior PAO pin on each side of the white aviator shirt... (you know, 1/2" above the ribbons and 1/2" above the gray name plate...   

Nope, looks like you can only wear one specialty track badge on the aviator shirt - and on the left side.  Re: CAPM 39-1 Table 6-3 page 110.

acarlson

Quote from: Camas on May 01, 2007, 05:45:38 AM
Quote from: acarlsonI can wear the Master PDO pin and the Senior PAO pin on each side of the white aviator shirt... (you know, 1/2" above the ribbons and 1/2" above the gray name plate...   

Nope, looks like you can only wear one specialty track badge on the aviator shirt - and on the left side.  Re: CAPM 39-1 Table 6-3 page 110.

Great discussion!   
however that wasn't my question... my question was the silver or bronze star on the leadership ribbon.

Here's a second question:
CAPM 39-3 page 6: 
b. Leadership Award. Successfully complete technician rating in a training specialty.
(2) Silver Star Attachment - Successfully complete master rating in a training specialty. A
maximum of three silver star attachments may be worn in recognition of each master rating earned

q:  can you combine 1 silver star and 1 bronze star on the Leadership ribbon?

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

ColonelJack

Not only can you combine bronze and silver stars on a Davis Leadership ribbon, you can actually wear more than one.  If you have ratings in four to six areas, you can wear two leadership ribbons with the proper stars on them.  (If you can't, somebody better tell GAWG CC Col. Lyle Letteer ... he wears 'em that way in his official photo!)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

carnold1836

I know that this thread is regarding the devices worn on the Leadership ribbon.

That being said I have a question concerning the actual professional track rating badges. Since I currently don't wear wings of any sort, am I allowed two badges (ie. AE and CP)? And do those go on the pockets of the aviator shirt instead of above the ribbons?

Thanks for letting me take a little bit of a thread highjack here,
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

davedove

Quote from: carnold1836 on May 01, 2007, 01:23:20 PM
That being said I have a question concerning the actual professional track rating badges. Since I currently don't wear wings of any sort, am I allowed two badges (ie. AE and CP)?

For the Aviator shirt/grey slacks uniform:

From 39-1:
"Only the CAP aviation badge and one additional CAP badge are authorized on this uniform."

So you can wear one CAP badge, plus one set of wings.

Quote from: carnold1836 on May 01, 2007, 01:23:20 PMAnd do those go on the pockets of the aviator shirt instead of above the ribbons?

From 39-1:
"CAP Specialty Badges: Worn centered on left breast pocket."
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Page 105 Sec. 6-5
6-5. Description and Proper Placement on the Aviator Shirt with Epaulets. When wearing the aviator shirt the gray nameplate must also be worn. CAP ribbons, CAP aviation badge and one additional CAP badge may be worn (specialty insignia, specialty badge or command badge). No other badges or patches are authorized with this combination. See Chapter 4 for more information. Figure 6-16 illustrates the CAP aviation badges and Figure 6-17 illustrates the specialty insignia. Table 6-3 outlines the placement of these items.

So no, you may only wear an aviation badge and 1 other badge.  Since you don't have an aviation badge, you may only wear one badge on it.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

carnold1836

Thank y'all, now I get to lambast some of the members that are wearing these incorrectly (after I make the needed changes to my uniform ::))
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Pylon

Long/Short-Sleeved Blues -- just minature wings, no specialty badges or ribbons.

Service Dress -- Wings, ribbons, and Cadet Programs specialty badge.  Don't wear the other specialty badges, since I work primarily in CP; even though I may have other ratings it seems appropriate to wear the one for my primary duty assignment.    As for the leadership ribbon, I'm not going to go poking holes in it to add or change devices.  I plan on continuing to advance in my various specialty tracks... there's no sense in putting holes in ribbons and mini medal drapes when I only wear them a few times a year.  I'll wait until I get a few master ratings, and then update the leadership ribbon.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

blues = mini wings & mini GBD badge
service coat = ribbons of course, full-size wings/GBD badge, CP badge on pocket. Got plenty other thigns I could wear on the right side, but don't like that look, also I choose the CP badge for two reasons: first of all it is my primary specialty & job, but secondly cause it & the AE badge look more like duty badges than the others.

Far as the rules on badge wear for the aviator... check that again real close. There are three categories of badges (excluding NB/NEC) all with slightly dif rules. And make sure you see the female rules also.

acarlson

Quote from: davedove on May 01, 2007, 01:33:17 PM

Quote from: carnold1836 on May 01, 2007, 01:23:20 PMAnd do those go on the pockets of the aviator shirt instead of above the ribbons?

From 39-1:
"CAP Specialty Badges: Worn centered on left breast pocket."

From 39-1:
and for women... women can optionally wear the badge 1/2 " above the ribbons...
...otherwise ... ouch!   but I know you guys wouldn't appreciate that!
Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
Doylestown PA

jimmydeanno

Oops, forgot to answer the intital question...

My leadership ribbon has 2 silver and 1 bronze on it.  One thing to be careful of is the attachments.  I've seen people with 1 silver and 2 bronze put the silver in the middle because "it looks better."  But it's just like the ribbons, the higher precedence attachment goes to your right.

Eclipse

I have also seen Wing CC's wearing specialties about the name plate...

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Commanders can wear the "Commanders Badge" above the nameplate.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787