Teaching Drill & Ceremony

Started by CAPDCCMOM, May 14, 2015, 06:22:23 PM

abdsp51

Quote from: Tim Day on May 15, 2015, 01:31:51 PM
Addressing this at 2015 VAWG Encampment through a renewed emphasis on AF 36-2203. Encampment should be one place where cadets see things done correctly, as one would expect at a schoolhouse.

I have heard that excuse and seen that happen multiple times.  It happened at Arizona's Encampment last year and when I addressed it to the Commandant for Cadets that the D&C was being done wrong from the basics up to the formations.  The wonder cadet who had handpicked the cadet staff and they were partially picked for their knowledge of D&C didn't take kindly to being told he was wrong and to please cite the source for what he used to asses the D&C.  When he was unable to provide the reference I shook my head looked back at the CoC and told him this is why we have D&C issues in this wing. 

Bottom line use the AFMAN and have someone who is a SME in D&C oversee that aspect of the program. 

NIN

Addressing this at 2015 VAWG Encampment through a renewed emphasis on AF 36-2203. Encampment should be one place where cadets see things done correctly, as one would expect at a schoolhouse.

This. Oh my, 1000 times this!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Flying Pig

Quote from: JacobAnn on May 15, 2015, 10:24:02 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on May 14, 2015, 11:25:30 PM
Being a Marine, "hut two three four" would get you beat up :)    There is nothing wrong with putting a little flare in your drill commands.  However cadets in particular do need guidance.  My drill instructors in boot camp were artists I tell you..... Artists.   Listening to them call cadence a true religious experience.

Remember how "boot cadence" sounded?  I doubt any Marine could forget.  It was like a drumbeat that made calling cadence unnecessary until a change in direction was needed.  Hour after endless hour out on the sweltering parade deck were actually enjoyable.  We moved as a machine.  And yes, the "flare" that some DIs came up with could have made them contenders for a Grammy Award.

Good night Chesty....... Wherever you are.

kwe1009

Quote from: coudano on May 14, 2015, 06:35:00 PM
But yeah, people (and cadets in particular) watch a lot of tv and movies, as well as mimicking what they saw at encampment (from a cadet who also watches a lot of tv and movies and mimicks what THEY saw at encampment) and so on...   So some nonsense tends to spread over time.

I'm sending one of my cadets to the VAWG encampment so this is very good news to hear. 

kwe1009

Some helpful videos for instructing proper drill can be found at https://www.youtube.com/user/afrotcdet88/videos

PHall

Quote from: kwe1009 on May 15, 2015, 07:53:09 PM
Quote from: coudano on May 14, 2015, 06:35:00 PM
But yeah, people (and cadets in particular) watch a lot of tv and movies, as well as mimicking what they saw at encampment (from a cadet who also watches a lot of tv and movies and mimicks what THEY saw at encampment) and so on...   So some nonsense tends to spread over time.

I'm sending one of my cadets to the VAWG encampment so this is very good news to hear.

We've been doing this at the CAWG Encampment for years. Teaching to the reg is what's supposed to happen.

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2015, 12:52:14 AM
We've been doing this at the CAWG Encampment for years. Teaching to the reg is what's supposed to happen.

Really we must not have been in the same CA wing sending cadets to the same encampment.  Half the bad habits I was fixing in my unit there was learned at encampment.

PHall

Quote from: abdsp51 on May 16, 2015, 04:11:39 AM
Quote from: PHall on May 16, 2015, 12:52:14 AM

Really we must not have been in the same CA wing sending cadets to the same encampment.  Half the bad habits I was fixing in my unit there was learned at encampment.

Please enlighten me kind sir.

abdsp51