Vanguard and Curry Voucher Program

Started by CAPDCCMOM, April 27, 2015, 04:35:43 PM

Tim Day

Quote from: lordmonar on May 04, 2015, 03:03:00 AM
Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on May 04, 2015, 02:11:14 AM
What was the first? The regulation in now, in practice, incorrect. Let's face it the uniform is mandatory
it has always been mandatory because it's has always been mandated at encampment.   
Since encampment is voluntary, mandating BDU for participation in encampment does not make it a mandatory uniform. That said, I believe BDUs are for all intents and purposes mandatory but it's an implied requirement as "a uniform" is required for Curry and we won't provide free Blues.

The explicit mandate applicable to all Cadets is for Blues. See CAPM 39-1 Para 1.2.1.1. At the same time Squadron Commanders may require other uniforms but if purchase is not voluntary must provide them, see 1.2.1.

Since Cadets must attempt to promote, this in my opinion has levied another requirement on Squadron Commanders, who now in effect (without the benefit of having an explicitly worded regulation) must provide BDUs.

Our uniform manual and our supply chain are currently misaligned, and Squadron Commanders are bearing the brunt of it. To be fair, it hasn't been much better with AAFES and their inability to keep up with timely orders. This is a "needs improvement" item and I hope CAP/CP is tracking.

My only suggestion would be to try and extend the voucher program to in-store AAFES purchases, perhaps even as a reimbursement.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

lordmonar

I guess we can argue is encampment is voluntary or not.  But is a required part of the cadet program.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MIKE

Quote from: lordmonar on May 04, 2015, 04:21:05 PM
I guess we can argue is encampment is voluntary or not.  But is a required part of the cadet program.

If you want pips or to attend 99% of NCSAs... but otherwise it is not a requirement.  If you wanted to change it so that encampment is required to complete Phase I and Line Staff for Phase II... Then it is "required".
Mike Johnston

Tim Day

Cadets agree to attend the next Encampment when they join, and BDUs are typically required for Encampment. Thus while Encampment is voluntary, Cadets have volunteered to attend.

Either way, Squadron Commanders likely have a duty to help Cadets obtain BDUs (one more Squadron Commander responsibility). We're doing the best we can here to look for reliable and inexpensive sources in the Virginia area.

I'd like to see the CAPM 39-1 changed to reflect the reality. But even if it isn't, the AAFES program certainly wasn't working.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander

AirAux

You know, IIRC, back in the day, I had a couple of sets of khaki's and a gym outfit and I went to encampment at Chanute AFB for 10 days.  How did I make it without BDU's??  Strange.... 

LSThiker

There is an interesting thought.  Obviously, one could do an encampment in blues provided enough thought and planning is put into it.  However, what do you think would be lost if there were blues only encampments "again"?  Would those loses be truly a loss? Or could those same lessons be accounted in an other exercise or activity?

For example, would not bringing BDUs really result in the loss of not doing an LRC as you could do it with simply BDU pants and shoes (I.e. COS)?