Best Encampment

Started by momma_bear, March 27, 2015, 01:01:43 PM

arajca

Back to the topic...

I think my favorite was the IllinoisWing Flying Encampment - Balloon 1985. Early mornings, late nights and lots of time during the day. Not as much book work as the powered or glider sections.Preflight report checking - weather, esp. winds aloft, corn and soybean prices and futures. How to recognize power lines from 500'. Map reading - road, not sectionals. Complete and total right of way in the air.

a2capt

Quote from: TexasBEAST on April 03, 2015, 06:19:01 AMWho was it that said, "The best defense is a good offense"?
Mel, the cook on Alice ;)

NIN

Quote from: a2capt on April 05, 2015, 06:20:46 AM
Quote from: TexasBEAST on April 03, 2015, 06:19:01 AMWho was it that said, "The best defense is a good offense"?
Mel, the cook on Alice ;)

"I got me the fancy pajamas!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

BillB

Nin, now that you are on National Staff you need to get Mess Dress Pajamas
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

momma_bear

Quote from: THRAWN on March 27, 2015, 02:57:11 PM
New South Delaware Wing. Best, hands down...

They all have a political element. If you get 3 people in a room, there will be politicking. As for the best, I agree with the above comments. They're what you make of them. If you go with a lousy attitude, you'll have a lousy encampment.

Love it and agree with the 3 people in one room!

momma_bear

Quote from: LSThiker on March 27, 2015, 01:10:15 PM
Quote from: momma_bear on March 27, 2015, 01:01:43 PM
Who has the best and least political Encampment?? Give your justification.

Define your criteria for best and least political.

That is a pretty subjective question as what I find to be the best may not be what you consider the best and most definitely is not what an overly-protective parent would consider.

I agree it could be subjective. Best would mean favorable after action reports and exemplary safety report.  Least political: little to no drama at the command level.

I had a terrible experience at a winter encampment that I attended as senior staff. I just don't want to go through that again.

Tim Day

It's not subjective at all. The best encampment and least political is the one you make the best and least political by volunteering to be staff or cadre.

QuoteI had a terrible experience at a winter encampment that I attended as senior staff. I just don't want to go through that again.

Just saw this - sorry about your experience. On a serious note, I appreciate everyone who helps out at encampments. I think the senior staff team probably varies from year to year and wing to wing. I'm commanding Virginia Wing's 2015 Encampment, I have amazing seniors on staff, an impressive cadre, and we all have meshed well on our training days so I'm confident we're going to have a great experience. But I'm aware that not everyone is so fortunate.
Tim Day
Lt Col CAP
Prince William Composite Squadron Commander