Which CAP squadron/group/wing/region has the best website(s)?

Started by Holding Pattern, February 18, 2015, 09:37:58 AM

Holding Pattern

I'm looking to revamp our squadron website, but before doing so I wanted to find out: what are some of the best examples of websites we have? Many that I have seen remind me of HAM radio sites: plenty of links, and lots of nostalgia for the 90's.

I'd like to make something better.

go4spaatz

I will agree with you on the 90s nostalgia. My squadron website is still a work in progress. I will point out Youngstown Composite Sqdn has a nice site. http://oh051.ohwg.cap.gov/
C/Capt Anand, CAP
OHWG CAC Vice-Chair

"There are an estimated ∞² threads about ABUs on CAPTalk"

Pylon

I'm biased, but I like to point to my squadron's site as what I think to be a decent example: http://www.OswegoCAP.org. It did receive an honorable mention in the Balsem Awards last year.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JeffDG

Step 1...make sure you have the Wing (or higher) Commander approval for having a website.  Just because you have one doesn't mean it's been properly approved.

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: JeffDG on February 18, 2015, 05:45:26 PM
Step 1...make sure you have the Wing (or higher) Commander approval for having a website.  Just because you have one doesn't mean it's been properly approved.
To add on to this, approval is requested and granted through the Internet Operations restricted application.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

Both of the above suffer from the typical "outdated" disease which plagues CAP websites.

"That Others May Zoom"

dwb

The first thing I would do is consider very carefully whether you even need a web site. The more content you have, the more you need to keep up-to-date. If you pick the wrong technology stack, no one other than the original author will have any idea how to maintain it.

Can you get by with Google Groups for internal comms? Or just a Facebook page?

My recommendation is either (1) a simple landing page with contact and meeting information, maybe a link to the squadron's Google Calendar, or (2) Wordpress. The latter is the standard for basic content management, and offers a dizzying array of themes and plugins to customize your experience.

I can't emphasize enough... think about not having a web site at all. You're making a commitment to design something nice and keep it updated, and that can be a tall order.

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on February 18, 2015, 11:44:52 PM
I can't emphasize enough... think about not having a web site at all.

+1 - a nice contact site is a good idea, and your calendar needs to be somewhere, but beyond that, just pass them up to NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Facebook is a realistic option. No fuss, no mess and everybody is into FB.   8)

TXCAP

We use WordPress for our squadron website, www.dentoncap.org.  We've found it relatively easy to use for non-technical folks to keep it updated or make changes.  There are many add on modules that will update a Facebook page when the website is updated or to set up a sign up for CAP activities, etc.

ranger0305

I think that my wing's website is a pretty decent one. [urlwww.okwgcap.org

don't know if i put the link in right might have to type it in yourself.
"IT'S BETTER TO DIE FIGHTING FOR SOMETHING, THAN TO LIVE FOR NOTHING." 

C/MSgt
GTM3
MRO*
FLM*

Майор Хаткевич

Maybe it's my bad work connection, but OKWG webpage took 20 seconds to load...Low quality images as well.

JeffDG

Quote from: Private Investigator on February 19, 2015, 10:22:08 AM

And, just to reiterate, these require Wing or higher commander approval as well.

Quote from: CAPR 110-111.
a.  CAP units conducting CAP internet operations (including cap.gov domains) must obtain and
maintain a record of approval from the CAP/CC or applicable region, wing commander or their
designee. The NHQ/CO or designee approves CAPNHQ.gov domain delegations.

And before you ask, yes, Facebook is a "CAP internet operation" as defined in CAPR 110-1, 6:
Quote6. CAP Internet and Local Computer Operations are data, communication and information
operations that utilize the internet for hosting CAP websites, file services, e-mail, instant messaging
and other communications and sharing vehicles. Local computer operations include CAP-owned
personal computers, smartphones, tablet PCs and external storage devices that contain CAP data and
information.

A.Member

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 19, 2015, 06:15:40 PM
Maybe it's my bad work connection, but OKWG webpage took 20 seconds to load...
Very slow for me as well (with a very fast connection).

I'm pretty fond of our new Wing site (and hopefully it loads faster than OK's :-\):  mnwg.cap.gov
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: A.Member on February 19, 2015, 07:15:16 PM

I'm pretty fond of our new Wing site (and hopefully it loads faster than OK's :-\ ):  mnwg.cap.gov

Actually, yea. Almost instant load time, and it actually looks engaging...can't put my finger (eye?) on it, but it looks "clean", even with that broken up header.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on February 19, 2015, 07:05:20 PM
Quote from: Private Investigator on February 19, 2015, 10:22:08 AM

And, just to reiterate, these require Wing or higher commander approval as well.

Not to mention not available to our youngest cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Maybe it's my bad work connection, but OKWG webpage took 20 seconds to load...Low quality images as well.

No, real slow to load, not to mention other...ahem..."issues"...

"That Others May Zoom"

Holding Pattern

Quote from: A.Member on February 19, 2015, 07:15:16 PM

I'm pretty fond of our new Wing site (and hopefully it loads faster than OK's :-\):  mnwg.cap.gov

I like it except for one thing...

"SEMPER VILIGANS?"

Майор Хаткевич

Holding Pattern

After all these years, those Latin classes I was sure would be useless are still paying off!