National Recruiting and Retention Manager - Volunteer Opening

Started by sardak, February 05, 2015, 03:36:34 AM

sardak

National is looking for a National Recruiting and Retention Manager, a volunteer position.  http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/RECRUITING_and_RETENTION_MANAGER_20_FE36A0AD67C15.pdf

Duties include the planning and implementation of goals and vision for CAP Member Recruiting and Retention!
Liaise between the National Staff and membership!
Work in conjunction with National Staff to continually evaluate membership retention issues and develop new and improved methods of resolving identified areas of concern!
Promote a strong safety and Operational Risk Management program within CAP! Say what?

Only need to be a major, it's not one of these Lt Col or Col jobs.  Right up the alley for a number of CAP Talkers.

Mike

LSThiker

Well there we go.  With some of the opinions that are thrown around CAPTalk, I am sure those same people are ready to jump at this chance.  Now they can solve CAP's problems.

Майор Хаткевич

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 05, 2015, 04:15:31 AM
I nominate Nin.
Yeah, you're not the first person.

This is a job I would love to do, but I'm not sure I have the time for it.

Plus, some of my ideas regarding recruiting and retention have been considered radical and I am not sure how they would play out nationally.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Storm Chaser

Sometimes you need "radical", especially if you're trying to generate change.

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 05, 2015, 01:34:45 PM

I prefer the term "disruptive" (as in "disruptive to the existing paradigm. The one that doesn't work.")

:)

But seriously, I think it was here on CAP-Talk where someone told me that I should be thrown out of Civil Air Patrol because my unit pipelined and that it was against the regulations to "not allow someone to join when they want to."

I'm still trying to figure out what regulation that was... :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on February 05, 2015, 04:29:30 PM

I prefer the term "disruptive" (as in "disruptive to the existing paradigm. The one that doesn't work.")

But seriously, I think it was here on CAP-Talk where someone told me that I should be thrown out of Civil Air Patrol because my unit pipelined and that it was against the regulations to "not allow someone to join when they want to."

CAPR 13-1, Identifying Problems for Solutions.

And I second NIN's nomination....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Oh, and I don't have a senior rating in Recruiting and Retention.. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: NIN on February 05, 2015, 04:54:32 PM
Oh, and I don't have a senior rating in Recruiting and Retention.. :)
Desired, not mandatory

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on February 05, 2015, 04:29:30 PM

It's been probably 5-6 (maybe longer) years since I first read about your pipelining, Now NHQ basically "suggests" it with the cadet Great Start and a few other resources. I'm betting down the road, NHQ may even MANDATE such a process.

This is something I plan on taking on at the unit level to start, potentially expanding to SMs, and something at a higher level. I'll probably be PMing you after encampment is done with to get your thoughts, ideas and procedures and taking them for my own.  >:D

James Shaw

I have tried that MANY times  :-X :-X :-X :-X
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

NIN

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on February 05, 2015, 06:00:48 PM
It's been probably 5-6 (maybe longer) years since I first read about your pipelining, Now NHQ basically "suggests" it with the cadet Great Start and a few other resources. I'm betting down the road, NHQ may even MANDATE such a process.

This is something I plan on taking on at the unit level to start, potentially expanding to SMs, and something at a higher level. I'll probably be PMing you after encampment is done with to get your thoughts, ideas and procedures and taking them for my own.  >:D

My unit has been pipelining for 10+ years. We started what we'd later call "pipelining" back in 2000, technically, but we didn't have a name for it but "come back when we're actually recruiting.."  (thats not 100% accurate.. I kid!)

We really formalized the whole "get a flyer, give us your info" the other 48-50 weeks of the year process circa 2002-2003.

How many units do you know have institutionalized a process such that they're still doing it 10 years down the road?
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Storm Chaser

NIN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on February 05, 2015, 08:13:04 PM
How large is your unit?

Runs between 60 & 70 cadets, 20-25 seniors.

ETA: We recruit between 12 & 18 cadet each time we run a unit open house. It is truly "basic cadet training" (we'd like to do Great Start, but I can't seem to convince the cadets that they need to stop trying to put EVERYTHING and the KITCHEN SINK into the training schedule. They're learning that they can't just blab on about anything and everything they think a cadet should know if they're going to maintain any kind of a schedule! LOL )

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

You run drives once a year? I'm working a quarterly version for my plan.

MacGruff

I've suggested that the squadron I belong to adopt pipelining. The cadet commander of cadets thought it was a great idea and pointed out that it would create the same grouping and ties as Encampment. The senior members in charge of cadet programs are adamantly against it as they do not want to turn any cadets away ... not even for a month or two (My suggestion was to have a quarterly schedule). Consequently, we do not have it.

Currently we have 40-45 cadets with two to three new ones every month...

Paul Creed III

We pipeline as well. Having a cohort to go through the formative stages with ensures nurturing and welcoming environment. It also reduces staff burden because all of the newbies are at very close stages of progression so staff aren't trying to keep track of newbies who are all over the map in their initial progressions.

As for not wanting to turn someone away, if the person cannot wait until the next class start where they will be given the best tools to succeed, they probably aren't overly interested anyway.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

NIN

Quote from: Paul Creed III on February 05, 2015, 09:18:14 PM
We pipeline as well. Having a cohort to go through the formative stages with ensures nurturing and welcoming environment. It also reduces staff burden because all of the newbies are at very close stages of progression so staff aren't trying to keep track of newbies who are all over the map in their initial progressions.

As for not wanting to turn someone away, if the person cannot wait until the next class start where they will be given the best tools to succeed, they probably aren't overly interested anyway.

^ This guy is my new best friend. :)

You, sir, get it.  In spades. I love it!

I always say "if you tell them to come back and they don't, how interested were they?"

The pipeline is self-filtering.

Many (not all) of the people there WANT to be there.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NCRblues

I love the idea, and when I renew I'd love to try 'er out.

But I have a question. Does this work for "flyover squadron A" with 4 cadets attending and 2 or 3 seniors? Can you really afford to wait (even quarterly) to bring in fresh meat? I'm not sure...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on February 05, 2015, 09:37:10 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on February 05, 2015, 09:18:14 PMWe pipeline as well. Having a cohort to go through the formative stages with ensures nurturing and welcoming environment. It also reduces staff burden because all of the newbies are at very close stages of progression so staff aren't trying to keep track of newbies who are all over the map in their initial progressions. As for not wanting to turn someone away, if the person cannot wait until the next class start where they will be given the best tools to succeed, they probably aren't overly interested anyway.
^ This guy is my new best friend. You, sir, get it.  In spades. I love it!I always say "if you tell them to come back and they don't, how interested were they?"The pipeline is self-filtering.Many (not all) of the people there WANT to be there.

That's my thought on it as well, and will be my response to any naysayers. If they can't wait 1-2 months to the next cycle, chances are they'd be gone within 3 months anyway.

Quote from: NCRblues on February 05, 2015, 09:49:42 PM
I love the idea, and when I renew I'd love to try 'er out.

But I have a question. Does this work for "flyover squadron A" with 4 cadets attending and 2 or 3 seniors? Can you really afford to wait (even quarterly) to bring in fresh meat? I'm not sure...

Assuming a baseline knowledge within that specific unit (though at those numbers....it's barely a flight), it should matter even more. Jimmy now thinks this is something "special", because they aren't jumping all over him to join, just 3 visits to check it out, and we'll see you at the next enrollment period. He'll either not like what he sees, finds something shinier, or will be excited, and tell all HIS friends about this thing he's joining in a few weeks when the enrollment opens up.

P.S. Did two quotes in one, and the forum goes wonky...everything was a font .2 or something...

Not the first time I have issues with posts.