Main Menu

The Leatherman Tread

Started by Eclipse, January 23, 2015, 03:38:35 AM

Eclipse

The Leatherman Tread, available Fall 2015, purported to be TSA safe.

http://www.leatherman.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-leatherman-Site/en_US/Blog-ShowPost/?p=705

The Leatherman Tread: 25 tools you wear on your wrist

If I can put something like a Moto 360 on it, I might start wearing a watch again...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Interesting.

Didn't you wear a watch on Saturday?

Eclipse

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 03:41:08 AM
Interesting.

Sadly no, my much beloved Navihawk sits idle in my dresser - can't remember when I wore it last,
and before that time, whenever it was, it had sat so long the battery was dead.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 04:07:24 AM
Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 03:41:08 AM
Interesting.

Sadly no, my much beloved Navihawk sits idle in my dresser - can't remember when I wore it last,
and before that time, whenever it was, it had sat so long the battery was dead.

It's not a problem to swap out the battery. As "redundant" as watches are...sometimes it is easier to look at my wrist, than pull a phone out.

LTCinSWR

This has to be the ultimate (for now) gadget lover's dream.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

C/Cool

This is awesome! I am assuming it would beat carrying around a multi-tool, which I do all the time. They just have to incorporate a knife blade into it  >:D
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:28:38 PM
This is awesome! I am assuming it would beat carrying around a multi-tool, which I do all the time. They just have to incorporate a knife blade into it  >:D

There is a "cutting hook" designed for opening boxes, and presumably TSA-friendly.

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 04:31:33 PM

There is a "cutting hook" designed for opening boxes, and presumably TSA-friendly.

I guess it doesn't really need  one. I usually have over 2 knives on my person at all times so... Pretty cool idea!

Garibaldi

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:33:40 PM

I guess it doesn't really need  one. I usually have over 2 knives on my person at all times so... Pretty cool idea!

More than 2? Really?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

C/Cool

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 23, 2015, 04:34:53 PM
Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:33:40 PM

More than 2? Really?

Well, I have a razor blade knife that I use daily. I have a regular pocket knife with 5" blade for other stuff like cutting apples... I am looking to buy this one  It would be for personal use only cause it is out of CAP regs. :( I have a few more that I use maybe once a week but they usually sit around.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/LEATHERNECK.20_SERIES/LEATHERNECK_SERIES.aspx

Eclipse

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:39:14 PMI have a regular pocket knife with 5" blade for other stuff like cutting apples...

How big are these apples?

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 04:53:15 PM
Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:39:14 PMI have a regular pocket knife with 5" blade for other stuff like cutting apples...

One can never have too much blade... Most of the time anyway. It can also double as a self defense tool :D Just in case. Between me and my brother we have about 8 knives on a regular day.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:55:37 PM

One can never have too much blade... Most of the time anyway. It can also double as a self defense tool :D Just in case. Between me and my brother we have about 8 knives on a regular day.

Sounds like a lot of tackykewl, and not a lot of use. 5" fixed? Folded? Is that even legal? I had a 3.5-3.75" that I stopped carrying due to size.

I carry this: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools FF25-CP Escape Knife with Part-Serrated Folding 3.4-Inch Steel Blade and Aluminum Black Handle, Hardcase Black Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073H2P2O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6oOWub00HZXE2

The actual blade is just under 3", not 3.4. Been holding up good, much better than the S&W Border Guard I used to lug around.

C/Cool

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on January 23, 2015, 05:27:05 PM
Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:55:37 PM

Sounds like a lot of tackykewl, and not a lot of use. 5" fixed? Folded? Is that even legal? I had a 3.5-3.75" that I stopped carrying due to size.

I carry this: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools FF25-CP Escape Knife with Part-Serrated Folding 3.4-Inch Steel Blade and Aluminum Black Handle, Hardcase Black Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073H2P2O/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_6oOWub00HZXE2

The actual blade is just under 3", not 3.4. Been holding up good, much better than the S&W Border Guard I used to lug around.

I do use it quite often. I work a farm job so I really need one  to use all the time. 5" fixed w/sheath. I think the regs are 6" blade and 11" overall for SAR. I can't find anything for weekly meetings so I just wear it just like every other day. That is a really good knife. A couple of my friends carry that one and they really like it.

lordmonar

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 04:39:14 PMI am looking to buy this one  It would be for personal use only cause it is out of CAP regs. :( I have a few more that I use maybe once a week but they usually sit around.

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/LEATHERNECK.20_SERIES/LEATHERNECK_SERIES.aspx
Which reg would that be?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

C/Cool

Restrictions on Knives: You may only wear a sheath knife if authorized by your team leader. Sheath knives cannot have a blade longer than 6" or a total length of greater than 11". The sheath must adequately secure the knife and protect the wearer from the blade. If authorized, sheath knives will be worn only on the pistol belt or carried inside the pack. The following knife types are not authorized: boot knives, butterfly knives, switch blades, double edged knives, "Rambo" style survival knives, or knives with retracting sheaths. Machetes or hatchets can only be carried by senior members when needed for that specific sortie. No knives may be visible when the member is performing crash sight surveillance duty.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/680/~/policy-on-knives-at-cap-meetings-and-during-cap-emergency-services-missions

BHartman007

That is...that is that right there...is what that is.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

dwb

Wow, a Leatherman watch. That thing... looks like it would cut my wrist in a hundred different places.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 23, 2015, 06:03:12 PM
Which reg would that be?

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 06:20:06 PM
  Restrictions on Knives: You may only wear a sheath knife if authorized by your team leader. Sheath knives cannot have a blade longer than 6" or a total length of greater than 11". The sheath must adequately secure the knife and protect the wearer from the blade. If authorized, sheath knives will be worn only on the pistol belt or carried inside the pack. The following knife types are not authorized: boot knives, butterfly knives, switch blades, double edged knives, "Rambo" style survival knives, or knives with retracting sheaths. Machetes or hatchets can only be carried by senior members when needed for that specific sortie. No knives may be visible when the member is performing crash sight surveillance duty.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/680/~/policy-on-knives-at-cap-meetings-and-during-cap-emergency-services-missions

You know that's a trick question, right?

"That Others May Zoom"

C/Cool

Quote from: Eclipse on January 23, 2015, 09:13:36 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on January 23, 2015, 06:03:12 PM
Which reg would that be?

Quote from: C/Cool on January 23, 2015, 06:20:06 PM

You know that's a trick question, right?
I figured it was but I went ahead and gave him what I had. Works for me.