Prototype Operational Dress Uniform Pics

Started by MIKE, April 19, 2007, 08:33:37 PM

JohnKachenmeister

It sure looks like our BBDU, except a little darker in color.
Another former CAP officer

DNall

The embroidery is stupid, don't get the lack of lower pockets thing if it's going to be worn untucked, or for that matter why they (the smallest) service wouldn't use an off the shelf BBDU kind of thing, or just use the same stuff as the navy for that matter.

RiverAux

Hey, we're already wearing AF blue dress shirts!  Saves a bundle for CAP-CG Aux members like myself.   :)

DNall

I don't think concern for the auxiliary is that big a priority. The CG is a small service that can't afford to make new things from scratch just to be different. The Army/AF/Navy, to a much lesser extent the marines, CAN do that cause they'll be buying so many millions of copies that the development & manufacturing is basically the same or less than using an existing item. That & they can bury it in a massive budget. The CG especially cannot do that.

I don't even understand why the Army had to start this crap with black berets, then MARPAT, then ACUs, ABUs... everyone's got to be different. That's just bull & it wastes millions. What's it worth to accomplish that? and can the CG afford it?

Now why is this on here exactly?

RiverAux

QuoteNow why is this on here exactly?
Because the guy in charge wanted to talk about it.

JohnKachenmeister

Back in the good old days... before the military was messed up by McNamara... every branch of service had their own uniforms, and in fact, their own procurement.  McNamara decided that everybody in DoD should use the same stuff, and took procurement away from the services and placed it under DoD.

What we have now is a move away from that concept, and back to each service deciding what works for them.

Another former CAP officer

Sgt. Savage

I like the ODU sans embroidery. I'm one of those who think the BDU is useless for SAR work. I would actually like to see us leave the AF in favor of DHS, and start getting funding to equip our people. As a DOD entity, we could still wear our prior service bling with less restriction and receive support from all branches, not just the AF. In summary, I like it.

MIKE

Quote from: RiverAux on April 22, 2007, 12:41:14 PM
QuoteNow why is this on here exactly?
Because the guy in charge wanted to talk about it.

>:D  Not exactly the guy in charge though.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 22, 2007, 03:17:25 PM
I would actually like to see us leave the AF in favor of DHS, and start getting funding to equip our people. As a DOD entity, we could still wear our prior service bling with less restriction and receive support from all branches, not just the AF. In summary, I like it.

If we move to DHS, then cadets go away. Any operational members of DHS need to be able to carry a firearm.

Second, cadet programs would not be a supportable program for DHS. There would be no need for them. Not to mention the inevitable camparisons to Hitler's Youth if DHS actually did support such a program.

There's really no reason that we shouldn't be able to receive funding from them anyway. Besides, even though the military works with DHS, their(DHS) components are not military. They would really have no reason to permit the wear of our prior service insignia. Their components' uniforms are not military uniforms either.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on April 22, 2007, 03:36:19 PM

If we move to DHS, then cadets go away. Any operational members of DHS need to be able to carry a firearm.

Second, cadet programs would not be a supportable program for DHS. There would be no need for them. Not to mention the inevitable camparisons to Hitler's Youth if DHS actually did support such a program.

Why would the cadets have to go away?  The cadet program would simply become a feeder into the Officer Corps, just like it was during and after WW2.  We could still have the mission of Aero Education just like now, which means we could keep our cadets.  It would simply be like a JROTC, excpet the parent organization would just be a different FED agency. 
What's up monkeys?

DNall

Quote from: Sgt. Savage on April 22, 2007, 03:17:25 PM
I like the ODU sans embroidery. I'm one of those who think the BDU is useless for SAR work. I would actually like to see us leave the AF in favor of DHS, and start getting funding to equip our people. As a DOD entity, we could still wear our prior service bling with less restriction and receive support from all branches, not just the AF. In summary, I like it.
DHS doesn't wamt us, actually would prefer we were dissolved so they could take our funding & missions. No other service is willing to give us a tenth of the support the AF is. We survive only because AF has a sentenmental attachment to us that's worht 40mil out of their budget. What CAP does isn't worth a fraction of that to the government & certainly no other individual agency. They could get much greater bang for the buck in other ways. Just so you know, that's NEVER happening unless as the death-nill of the org.

We can & do get DHS funding now. The Wing Banker program (though misguided) is an attempt to clean up our financial records mgmt to qualify for much larger & block grants. For the time being DHS money is distributed to states & your wing as an ES organization are free to apply, which they do, that's how a lot of SDIS systems get paid for.

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 22, 2007, 06:49:17 PM
Why would the cadets have to go away?  The cadet program would simply become a feeder into the Officer Corps, just like it was during and after WW2.  We could still have the mission of Aero Education just like now, which means we could keep our cadets.  It would simply be like a JROTC, excpet the parent organization would just be a different FED agency. 
The cadet program gets paid for cause it's a feeder program into the military. If we're not directly affiliated with them then there's no money, and by the way you don't spend 30mil administering an org that does 10mil ES in business. Very little of that money goes to cadet programs. Almost all of it goes to operating the org & purchasing gear.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Sgt. Savage

Soory Mike, my bad, I started it. Still, I like the ODU :)

DNall

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Looks like metal insignia will no longer authorized on the ODU.  I was looking forward to being able to not have to have sewn on collar insignia on this uniform... being able to change out between member insignia and office insignia. :'(

Quote from: ALCOAST 223/07F.  ALL ACCESSORIES SHALL BE IN GOOD REPAIR AND WORN AS FOLLOWS:

1.  AFTER 15 JULY 2007,  ALL ACCESSORIES WORN ON THE ODU SHALL BE EMBROIDERED.

2.  COLLAR RANK AND SPECIALTY INSIGNIA CAN BE METAL (STANDARD UNTIL 15 JULY 2007) OR EMBROIDERED (CURRENTLY OPTIONAL, BECOMING STANDARD AFTER 15 JULY 2007). NO MIXING OF STYLES IS AUTHORIZED. INSIGNIA SHALL NOT BE SCRATCHED, BENT, TORN OR DISFIGURED IN ANY WAY. ALL COLLAR RANK INSIGNIAS, WITH EXCEPTION OF EMBROIDERED O3 AND O6, SHALL BE PLACED ON THE IMAGINARY LINE BISECTING THE ANGLE OF THE COLLAR WITH THE BASE OF THE INSIGNIA (NOT THE EMBROIDERED PATCH) APPROX 1 1/8 INCH FROM COLLAR POINT. DUE TO THEIR HORIZONTAL FORMAT, EMBROIDERED O3 AND O6 RANK INSIGNIA SHALL BE PLACED 1 1/2 INCHES FROM THE POINT.

Still...  Trying to hold off getting a set until after March of '08, waiting for the new ones.

Mike Johnston

RiverAux

My first shirt came with the member insignia already sewn on.  As I don't wear the Aux office insignia, I'd rather have them sewn on anyway -- less work to deal with. 

Funny, how CAP folks make such a big deal about not being able to wear metal rank and now the entire CG is switching to sew-on.....

MIKE

If I have to have embroidered insignia on it, it will be member insignia... I just like the metal insignia because it's not permanent.  1NR District Store has nice looking cloth insignia though from what I saw... Unlike others I've seen.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Mega Bump.

http://www.uscg.mil/uniforms/odu08/index.html

I was gonna buy a set of the current tuck in ones so I would have 'em for the winter.  Maybe I'll hold off a little longer?  Can't pre-order though.

Like that they changed the sizing to be BDU-like.  The "special" hidden pen pocket is kinda lame though... with the exposed "pen pocket" still on the left pocket.

BTW: Last ALAUX I saw says metal collar devices are still authorized for Auxies for the time being.  :)
Mike Johnston

mikeylikey

^hmm......looks like some of you will have access to black boots for years to come!  The boots look very "thick"??

So can anyone in the DOD community order through the CG Uniform distribution center?
What's up monkeys?