CAP Website Content Management Systems

Started by JC004, December 14, 2014, 01:46:07 AM

JC004

I'm wondering what CAP units are using for Content Management Systems for their websites....WordPress?  Google Sites' own tools?  Drupal?  Other?

Any observations from what you're using, that might help other units consider what to do?

If there's some interest, I'll put out a list of good WordPress plugins for CAP units.

I was also considering modifying some of my themes for CAP use, and making them available to units who want a decent WordPress theme with a CAP look.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Joomla and WordPress are fairly common in CAP.

a2capt

Doomla .. I'm not sure why it's somewhat popular, every time I've attempted to install it, using the 'latest' from the site, et al,checking the support forum, I'm not the only one with the exact same issue, whatever it is.  In a few cases there's not even a fix, though there's tickets in the bug database that are not closed.

So.. Doomla, nope. ;)

Pylon

We built OswegoCAP.org on WordPress with a theme originally by Pagelines and modified (including plugins by the OP).  It's been running now for three (I think) years or so without issue, on a free hosting plan through DreamHost, and nearly anybody who has moderate computer skills is capable of updating content.  It cost the squadron nothing to build it and nothing to maintain it; and it is essentially turn-key now.  It brings in decent traffic and has generated leads for cadets and seniors.

Squadron email addresses are managed through Google Apps, for free, on a custom cap.gov subdomain for our squadron.

All-in-all, other than needing more volunteer-hours to produce far more regular content (news articles, photos, information updates, etc.) to keep the site fresher and more dynamic, I think this is getting close to an ideal set-up for a typical CAP squadron.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

RickRutledge

I second the Major. We actually bought our WordPress theme from Pagelines because of the Oswego site, it's VERY well done. We recently upgraded to their newest framework and at $30/month for a ton of features and plugins, it's beyond worth it.

Our hosting is provided via a Nebraska Wing member who was once in Oklahoma. He was working on a hosting option for CAP wings and units that is beyond affordable. I'll double back with him on it.

WordPress is your best bet. Super user friendly and very intuitive. It doesn't take a degree in web design or IT to figure it out.

www.okwgcap.org
www.brokenarrowcap.org
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Wing Public Affairs Officer
Oklahoma Wing
Broken Arrow Composite Squadron
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RickRutledge

Yeah, but when you divide the cost across all the units it's $24 per unit, per year.

That part is merely an option for DMS2....
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

RickRutledge

We'll eventually have all 15 units upgraded, but for now it's just my home unit and our wing website that have been upgraded. This break for the next two weeks will allow me to concentrate on getting everyone up to speed.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

JC004

That's a good approach.  I like it (and not just because I helped select that theme, get it, and provide some custom plugins  >:D ...heh heh).

RickRutledge

Took about a year to build out the wing on the first go round, but shouldn't take that long this time. I just wish I had more time to make them prettier and more functional.
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

kwe1009

Wordpress is the way to go.  I set up 2 squadrons with it and it is super easy to use.  If you can open Word and create a document, you can make pages in Wordpress.  There are tons of themes and plugins available at little or no cost.  I'm not exactly sure what plugins the site I host use as that is up to the individual squadrons but I know they are running a newsletter plugin, calendar, and some social media connectors.

I host the sites for next to nothing and the squadron IT officers have complete control over the site (including email accounts). 

Tim Medeiros

Both my home unit and SWR are on WordPress.  SWR is running a networked site config for its RSC, CCRSC and ES Training sites.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Nick

Same with my home unit (www.tx041cap.org) and the TXWG (www.txwgcap.org) site. I use the Genesis Framework by StudioPress as the starting template for a theme and then write a custom plugin for the site-specific appearance and functionality. I'm looking forward to the new standard branding layout that should be released this month and will be making a WordPress theme out of it once I get my hands on it.
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

A.Member

mnwg.cap.gov was built with Serif WebPlus.  The software is around $100 (one time purchase).  While that particular site doesn't have any CMS content, WebPlus offers a CMS interface hosted at no cost through Serif.  It's a feature rich tool that is pretty straight forward and easy to use.  Support and community is pretty good as well.

That said, for the purposes of an intranet site, which is where most CMS is needed, it's tough to beat Google Sites, especially when you consider the complete package that Google Apps offers.

My advice is to first build a online strategy; ie determine what are you looking to accomplish with your web presence.  This will guide potential solutions.  Ex. The MN Wing site above is designed specifically as an external site for the purpose of being informative as well as more of a sales/recruiting brochure.  As a result, content is fairly static. External news and related updates are handled via Facebook, which also provides a social media presence and is linked on the site.  Intranet/member only services are handled via Google Sites.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RickRutledge

The CAP member who hosts the OKWG sites I mentioned before has his full hosting service up and running. You will get everything from domain registration to a WordPress theme from PageLines (www.okwgcap.org or www.oswegocap.org) as part of your agreement being CAP units. It's .99 per month. Easy.

www.madhatdomains.com
Maj. Rick Rutledge
Oklahoma Wing
Commander
Civil Air Patrol
(Cadet 1996-2001)

a2capt

Where in the lineup does the CAP unit option fall in, as there's a .99/3.99/7.99 option there for Managed WordPress hosting just for the signup.

Can't tell from the web page, as Pagelines content isn't specifically mentioned, just "Premium templates" vs. "templates" on the entry level vs. mid level WordPress hosting. One could presume that Pagelines themes are part of the premium content.

Does the CAP WP hosting include FTP, access to the site code/use ones own content as well as the managed content? Typically "Managed WordPress Hosting" is "you get what we give you, choose from our plugins, themes, we'll upgrade them for you, you can't touch any of it.