Main Menu

Rejuvenation of MOTO

Started by James Shaw, December 02, 2014, 01:41:14 AM

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on January 21, 2015, 05:06:33 AM
Wait a minute, I thought you had "resigned", i.e. 2b'd yourself.

I was gonna, at the time I'd had enough, but just like smoking, its a hard habit to break.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Spam

(Hey, Hey, HEY!  "Reprobates"? I'm pretty sure they removed "moral turpitude" from the list of termination offenses about a decade ago...). 
http://www.ga045.org/
Welcome to SSCS, Mister Garibaldi!

LTC Shaw, "have I got a deal for you".  Group IV is in dire need of a TLC by 1APR, and you are one of the two Masters level CP experts down there. I'm proposing that you and I team up and conduct one in March together to revitalize the Group's CP professionals, thus passing on the tradition of excellence we've experienced ourselves and for our dependents.

Can Do?

V/R,
Spam

bflynn

Quote from: capmando on December 02, 2014, 01:41:14 AM
After 13 1/2 years of CAP, I do believe I need a rejuvenation of the MOTO. Harder to get my son motivated and myself as well.

How do others do it?

Disclaimer - I'm a strong introvert.  My energy comes from me, so this is how I do it.  If you're not, this won't make much sense.

How I do it - take some time for myself.  That doesn't mean not participating in CAP, but it's hard (for me) to give, give, give and get little out of it.  Diagnostic question - what do you get out of CAP?  What do you want to get out of CAP?

Take some non-CAP time and do something you want, even something crazy.  Run a marathon.  Study martial arts.  Learn some new camping skills, hike the Appalachian trail in sections.  Learn to play a musical instrument.  It might not be right for you, but I'm thinking of joining EAA and getting involved with building.

Then take whatever you do and bring it and your energy back to CAP and share it with others.  You'll have a new perspective on things.

Spam

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 21, 2015, 01:25:48 AM
Well, I guess CAP is like smoking, an addiction that's nearly impossible to kick fully. I guess the two month break did me some good, went and joined my "rival" cadet unit two weeks ago and could not be happier. I'm not in charge of anything, the SMs are great and the cadets are really awesome. Dual hatting as ES training officer and assistant comm officer.
Thanks to everyone who supported me.

'[...] you are dead, and you want me to quicken you once more...'
- Louis to Armand, 'Interview With The Vampire', by Anne Rice (1976)

So, make contact with the Zeitgeist (the spirit of the age), reconnect with what spoke to you about the organization, and pitch back into the fight with your teammates. Just don't show up at the meeting tonight sparkling or whatever, 'cause that Twilight crap is unacceptable...

V/R,
Spam

James Shaw

Quote from: bflynn on January 21, 2015, 01:14:08 PM
Quote from: capmando on December 02, 2014, 01:41:14 AM
After 13 1/2 years of CAP, I do believe I need a rejuvenation of the MOTO. Harder to get my son motivated and myself as well.

How do others do it?

Disclaimer - I'm a strong introvert.  My energy comes from me, so this is how I do it.  If you're not, this won't make much sense.

How I do it - take some time for myself.  That doesn't mean not participating in CAP, but it's hard (for me) to give, give, give and get little out of it.  Diagnostic question - what do you get out of CAP?  What do you want to get out of CAP?

Take some non-CAP time and do something you want, even something crazy.  Run a marathon.  Study martial arts.  Learn some new camping skills, hike the Appalachian trail in sections.  Learn to play a musical instrument.  It might not be right for you, but I'm thinking of joining EAA and getting involved with building.

Then take whatever you do and bring it and your energy back to CAP and share it with others.  You'll have a new perspective on things.

My disclaimer - I am normally an Extrovert about things I am passionate about. For the first 12 years in CAP I felt like I was doing something great and purposeful. The last couple of years have been a struggle. I have completed every PD course I need, 6 specialty tracks, finished the GRW and awarded the SMV. Honestly didnt seem like there was much left for "me" to do. I honestly didnt feel like CAP as an organization cared about "me" as a member. The people I worked with yes...the organization no. Feeling like that is not good for me. Time is the one thing I cannot get back.
People that use to call me now ignore calls and emails.

Diagnostic question - I had to change my focus on why I was in CAP, initially it was "my thing" and my sons participated becasue of me and not necessarily with me. That was my mistake. Though both prospered they were in it for me and not themselves. That had to change. I wanted to make a difference for the organization as a whole and thought i had while I was National Staff, that does not seem to be the case. I had to accept that and change my focus from me to my son (he just got promotoed to C/SMSGT this past monday). When I went back to the squadron it helped me and my son, I still want to make a difference as best as I can, but will not waste any more time worrying about it. My time with my son is more important than that.

What do I want to get - I have it better now than I have in a while. I want to see my son benefit from the program like his older brother and the way I did when I went into the Navy. I wanted to make a difference in the organization at first, now I want to make a difference for my son and the Cadets in my squadron.

I am very passionate about Safety.....that evil word that lurks in the minds of CAP members across the Galaxy......If i can help one member than I am doing well. It's not a specialty track for me, it is my full time career and I take it very seriously. People are resistant to change and like status quo, I am not a status quo type person and like to challenge...but also work to help make a change.

I have started a few new projects that have helped me, i took alot of the energy i was putting into CAP and focused it on my Son/Wife and some personal/professional goals.

I have 3 books I am writing and believe it or not they started because I was writing a Safety training program for a Wing Conference. I never got the chance to share it because no one came to the Safety Seminar.
      I am now making the "rounds" as a guest speaker for the local Safety Community
      Designing/Donating my glass work to a few non-profits
      Working on my Masters in Emergency Services Management

I found a great balance and CAP is a small part of that.

I appreciate the suggestion
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Spam

General observation, as this topic speaks to me:

So, as another former cadet, I went and did stuff and stayed active in CAP, ES and CP wise, and got burnt out a couple of times over the decades.  Once in the mid 90s was because I got so frustrated at ES victims, of all things, having worked in DR (flooding) missions and seen people gaming FEMA and us to actually make money off of tragedy. I was amazed to find myself actually angry with the victims... and that's not a customer service attitude to have, volunteer or other. I needed some time off to regain perspective. Once was because of tribal CAP squabbling, like you would find in many jobs or homeowners associations or churches... people are people.

I've even been burned out at church. Try being in a small church plant two churches in a row... but I'd no more advise taking time off from CAP than I would taking time off from church, as fallible as both organizations are.

"Time Off" can, in my experience, turn to quitting. Far better to turn the frustration into redirected effort in another area, which for me in CAP was cadet programs and AE. As I had sons of my own, I came to think of my role in CAP as a caretaker role, preserving the programs that meant so much to me by making them viable and vital for other young people. Now, like many others of you, I have sons who are cadets (omit brag sheet here for brevity, grin). Had I not stuck around, I'd have missed the opportunity to keep the light on for them, and their peers.

So, to close, some of you have seen "American Sniper" by now. Warning: a bit of a spoiler, stop now if you wish. Not too much of a spoiler here, but what does one do when one is tired, and has truly been there and done all he can do? In the case of the hero of the film (yes I said hero, Michael Moore), Kyle shifts his focus away from physically protecting troops to working with and emotionally serving vets, and seemingly starts to rediscover himself through a new purpose of servant leadership.

My view, admittedly based on the Golden Rule: Don't labor for human and impersonal organizations, churches, and governments, and don't labor for personal recognition and to rack up a resume. Do it for God, and for your fellow men, and for the cadets our future; that way, your time is not spent, but rather is invested, and your satisfaction will stem from their multiplied achievements, rather than your own, or lack thereof.

With greatest respect,
Spam

James Shaw

Quote from: Spam on January 21, 2015, 03:19:51 PM

My view, admittedly based on the Golden Rule: Don't labor for human and impersonal organizations, churches, and governments, and don't labor for personal recognition and to rack up a resume. Do it for God, and for your fellow men, and for the cadets our future; that way, your time is not spent, but rather is invested, and your satisfaction will stem from their multiplied achievements, rather than your own, or lack thereof.

With greatest respect,
Spam

Great way to put it.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

FW

^I agree.  Jim, I've held almost every position from cadet basic to national corporate officer, and have felt the same way from time to time.  Then, I realize it's not about "me".  It's about service to something greater.  It is an instant recharge, and I go about my business as usual.  I have no time for those who don't "return my calls".  I do what I can, and enjoy the appreciation of those I help. 
Thanks for all you have done for CAP.

The CyBorg is destroyed

I am trying to arrange a meeting with my CC, to see if he believes there is still truly a place for me in CAP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Paul Creed III

Quote from: FW on January 21, 2015, 04:57:42 PM
^I agree.  Jim, I've held almost every position from cadet basic to national corporate officer, and have felt the same way from time to time.  Then, I realize it's not about "me".  It's about service to something greater.  It is an instant recharge, and I go about my business as usual.  I have no time for those who don't "return my calls".  I do what I can, and enjoy the appreciation of those I help. 
Thanks for all you have done for CAP.

Seeing the smiles of cadets as they walk in from their orientation flight or an excited senior member who is enjoying their aircrew training = batteries re-charged.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

Майор Хаткевич

I remember getting my first stripe, second, etc. I remember what it was like in a bad squadron. Every week I try to give the cadets something better than I had.

catrulz

Where is SSCS in relation to the big chicken? ;D

Garibaldi

Quote from: catrulz on January 21, 2015, 09:27:06 PM
Where is SSCS in relation to the big chicken? ;D

'Bout 30 minutes NNW.

Spam

What the man MEANT to say, was,
Sandy Springs Georgia is due East of Marietta GA, home of the "Big Chicken".
http://www.ga045.org/content/visit.html

He, himself, lives NNW of said giant poultry construct.

V/R,
Spam

catrulz

Quote from: Spam on January 22, 2015, 02:41:53 PM

V/R,
Spam

My parents lived in Marietta and I remember all directions being given in relation to that big chicken... 8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Spam on January 22, 2015, 02:41:53 PM

V/R,
Spam

Obfuscation, sir.

LTCinSWR

Quote from: Garibaldi on January 22, 2015, 04:43:23 PM
Obfuscation, sir.

For years, Tongue and Quill had a mini-poster I really liked. It said 'I eschew obsfucation'. The irony always made me grin.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters