Main Menu

Pre-solo

Started by Flying Pig, April 17, 2007, 09:16:56 PM

mikeylikey

I will eventually solo, can I have the wings now?

Get rid of pre solo, what was the real accomplishment anyway?  Anyone who has the $$ can make it that far!
What's up monkeys?

Psicorp

When I was in high school, the AFJROTC offered the Private Pilot Ground School to 12th grade Cadets.  Upon completion of the ground school, pre-solo wings were awarded.   

In that environment it worked, mainly because the school could not provide anything beyond the Ground School, but did recognize those Cadets who did go on to take instruction and solo.

Get rid of the pre-solo or keep it, but if we're going to keep it, lets award it as recognition for passing the FAA Ground School exam.

Cadets need bling too  ;D
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Rangersigo

Sure, why not.  Just takes a little more money to solo, and just a little more for a license, and a little more to own to join a club, and a little more to own your a plane.  Heck I think you should be given a plane following this logic.

There are a couple of things I know for a fact.  I have never seen so much Badge envy, and if you misspal a word your thought is dismissed.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Rangersigo on April 19, 2007, 06:13:48 PM
and if you misspal a word your thought is dismissed.

I'm sorry, did you say something?  :P
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

I dont think there is ANY shortage of bling in CAP.  Senior or Cadet!

JC004

Why wear the pre-solo badge when you can wear the No-Image badge?  My favorite (just ordered 2):

BillB

Hate to tell you, but the No Image Available insignia are backordered
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JC004

Quote from: BillB on April 19, 2007, 09:48:04 PM

Are you serious?!  Come on...this is the third time that the things I wanted are backordered!

It's nice that they don't notify people of backordered items, though.  I've seen that complaint a lot. 

pixelwonk

Sux to be you then... I got mine.

JC004

Quote from: tedda on April 19, 2007, 10:30:17 PM

Sux to be you then... I got mine.

IDEA!  We should get generic insignia, branch tapes, name tapes, etc. that say "BACKORDERED" for those times when Vanguard is out.   :-*

Hawk200

Quote from: JC004 on April 19, 2007, 10:52:06 PM
IDEA!  We should get generic insignia, branch tapes, name tapes, etc. that say "BACKORDERED" for those times when Vanguard is out.   :-*

Nothing like having an alibi.... :D

CadetProgramGuy

This could get fun

JC004

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 19, 2007, 11:35:34 PM
This could get fun

Outstanding!  I am getting a couple dozen.  ::opens a new tab:: "thehock.com"...

Eagle400

Quote from: Psicorp on April 19, 2007, 06:04:35 PM
When I was in high school, the AFJROTC offered the Private Pilot Ground School to 12th grade Cadets.  Upon completion of the ground school, pre-solo wings were awarded.   

In that environment it worked, mainly because the school could not provide anything beyond the Ground School, but did recognize those Cadets who did go on to take instruction and solo.

Get rid of the pre-solo or keep it, but if we're going to keep it, lets award it as recognition for passing the FAA Ground School exam.

Cadets need bling too  ;D

I agree.  Right now, it's too easy to earn the CAP pre-solo wings.  I think CAP should require FAA ground school for cadets who wish to rate them.  Why should AFJROTC have the same wings and different requirements?  I think both CAP and AFJROTC should have the same awarding criteria for the pre-solo wings.  Besides, FAA ground school is fairly affordable (and easy).  Heck, in my flight training, the ground school consisted of a book accompanied with a bunch of CD's.    

Does anyone know what the AFJROTC pre-solo wings look like?   

jimmydeanno

Quote from: CAPR 60-1
Pre-Solo Qualification Flight. A flight, performed at a CAP wing level or higher flight encampment/academy, during which the CAP student pilot demonstrates, to an onboard CAP certificated flight instructor (CFI), that he/she has the ability to fly the aircraft without assistance from the onboard CAP CFI. This flight does not require an FAA endorsement and does not fulfill FAA requirements for solo flight, however the prerequisite for a pre-solo qualification is completion of all requirements in the appropriate portion of FAR 61.87.

Is the Flight Academy's cirriculum based around the FAA requirements for solo flight?  Don't they go through ground school and fly with a CFI?  Do any wings hold 'flight academies?'

So if that is the case, wouldn't all CAP 'pre-solo' cadets have gone through a course that meets FAA requirments?  So wouldn't all the cadets then 'not on purpose' be required to go through a course that fulfills FAA requirements for solo flight sans the 'solo' flight to earn the 'wings'?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill