Main Menu

Pre-solo

Started by Flying Pig, April 17, 2007, 09:16:56 PM

Flying Pig

OK, I was exploring the regs and came across the Pre-Solo wings.

These are a new development since I was last in as a member and all I can say is.......  You GOTTA be kidding me!

Jolt

I wear them, sir.  What's the big deal?  It's simply a symbol and how it's interpreted is up to each individual.  If they mean nothing, then that's fine.

Rangersigo

I actually think it is a good idea - especially for cardets who are flying to show their progress.  Getting a PP license can take some time, especially if you are waiting for a birthday.

Major Lord

Being a ground team guy has given me a bad attitude about flying in private aircraft..Give me big metal birds wih lots of engines! Since I am afraid to fly tiny planes, maybe they could make some "Chicken Wings" for us Cessnaphobes?

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Monty

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 17, 2007, 09:16:56 PM
OK, I was exploring the regs and came across the Pre-Solo wings.

These are a new development since I was last in as a member and all I can say is.......  You GOTTA be kidding me!

It's a whole different world.....folks get parties for "graduating" out of Jr. High School into High School these days (wouldn't have believed it until I got an invitation to attend a lad's.)

Flying Pig

Its not a big deal at all.  Thats the point.  They already have solo wings.  Now we need Pre solo wings?  How about wings for passing your written exam then?

Monty

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 18, 2007, 12:19:13 AM
Its not a big deal at all.  Thats the point.  They already have solo wings.  Now we need Pre solo wings?  How about wings for passing your written exam then?

Okay, if you insist.   ;D

LtCol White

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 18, 2007, 12:19:13 AM

Those are the "Winged Pencil" but Vanguard doesn't have a photo available yet.  ::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

BillB

Someone delete this thread before Tedda sees it and designs the chicken wings
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Cmdbuddy

I believe the Pre-Solo wings were developed because there is a regulation saying that first timers at a flight encampment cannot solo.  So, you had to give the cadets something after they've spent $850 and were told they couldn't solo... but they could conduct a flight from takeoff to landing with the instructor in the plane. 

Personally, I think they are ridiculous.  People say that just because they passed a pre-solo you could solo, but that's not correct.  Flying without your instructor is completely different than flying with your instructor not doing anything... at least they could do something if something bad happened.
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Cmdbuddy on April 18, 2007, 01:49:50 AM
I believe the Pre-Solo wings were developed because there is a regulation saying that first timers at a flight encampment cannot solo.  So, you had to give the cadets something after they've spent $850 and were told they couldn't solo... but they could conduct a flight from takeoff to landing with the instructor in the plane. 

Or rather they met all the 'solo' requirements except for age...

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Flying Pig

They meet all the requirements.....except for the requirements.  I dont know. As a former cadet who wore solo wings myself, it seems a little much.  Oh well.  It seems now that there has to be a badge, pin or medal for everything and every activity.

carnold1836

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 18, 2007, 03:10:54 AM
They meet all the requirements.....except for the requirements.  I dont know. As a former cadet who wore solo wings myself, it seems a little much.  Oh well.  It seems now that there has to be a badge, pin or medal for everything and every activity.

Welcome to the U.S. Boy Scouts of Air Patrol.  ::)
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Rangersigo

Not sure why this bothers anyone.  I can wear my uniform on 4 or 5 different days and never wear the same badge twice.  Why is it even a big deal, if someone wants to buy and wear it, it seems like it is esprit.  Should I feel the same way about the effort I went through to receive mine comparred to someone who earns a GT badge over two weekends?

DrJbdm

the pre-solo wings where developed in order to be more politically correct. When the cadets go to the flight academy and they couldn't earn the right to solo or the weather was bad or for whatever the reason may be, CAP didn't want them feeling left out or feeling like they weren't good enough to solo. So CAP came out with a pair of pre-solo wings that are almost identical to solo wings, you can't tell the difference. it's supposed to make them feel good about themselves.

I think it's ridicules, we didn't need that back when i was a cadet, back then solo wings actually meant something. If they are going to keep pre-solo wings then they need to be very distinctive from solo wings, just as I believe observer wings need to be distinctive from Pilot wings.

Eagle400

Quote from: DrJbdm on April 19, 2007, 01:02:26 AM
I think it's ridicules, we didn't need that back when i was a cadet, back then solo wings actually meant something. If they are going to keep pre-solo wings then they need to be very distinctive from solo wings, just as I believe observer wings need to be distinctive from Pilot wings.

Maybe what CAP could do is this:

Award the (now) solo wings to those who have "pre-soloed", and add a star above the solo wings for those who have soloed. 

This is slightly similar to what AFROTC does.  AFROTC awards their solo wings to cadets who have either soloed, earned a pilot slot, or both.  And those cadets who have a pilot slot and earned their wings prior to being categorized as a pilot get a star above their wings. 

Jolt

If it makes it any better for everyone who opposes the wings, there's no version of the pre-solo wings for the BDU or flight suit.

A.Member

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 17, 2007, 09:16:56 PM
...Pre-Solo wings... You GOTTA be kidding me!
I agree 100%!  They should be axed without further discussion.  To be honest, I'm not even that hip on the idea of "solo wings" but at least there's a bit of an argument to be made there.  As was stated earlier, "pre-solo" wings are a meaningless, feel good "award" that marginalizes true accomplishment.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Cmdbuddy

Quote from: 12211985 on April 19, 2007, 01:14:35 AM
Quote from: DrJbdm on April 19, 2007, 01:02:26 AM

Maybe what CAP could do is this:

Award the (now) solo wings to those who have "pre-soloed", and add a star above the solo wings for those who have soloed. 

This is slightly similar to what AFROTC does.  AFROTC awards their solo wings to cadets who have either soloed, earned a pilot slot, or both.  And those cadets who have a pilot slot and earned their wings prior to being categorized as a pilot get a star above their wings. 

Or we could just not recognize anything below solo.  That's my vote
Christie Ducote, Capt, CAP

Stonewall

Personally, I wish they had the I applied for solo encampment but didn't get selected badge.  Hey, CAP owes me something for my intentions.
Serving since 1987.